GAME The OFFICIAL Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild playthrough thread (GAME OF THE YEAR).

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
To be honest, in spite of all my arguing about BOTW here, I think my GOTY pick at this point would be Mario Odyssey. :o
DenseGrippingDegus-small.gif

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
There's still a lot of stuff I need to play from 2017 like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (Dishonored 2 is my single player GOTY 2016), XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, Wolfenstein 2, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Torment: Tides of Numenara, and more I'm forgetting right now. Based on what I've heard from other people, I think Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a strong chance of being my 2017 GOTY when I get around to playing it.

Mario Odyssey is good but I've finished the main story and the extra content they add back into the world ranges from good to "maybe this game could've used 500 fewer power moons because this is just lazy." I definitely prefer Super Mario Galaxy 2. I think Mario Odyssey could've used a bit more of a tighter focus, less repeated tasks like stacking goombas to woo the lady goomba, and more challenging content. Also jump roping is cancer.

Reign

No
Nov 17, 2003
CO
no it isn't
A buggy, poorly developed, unoptimized, toxic community filled piece of shit? yes it is.

Doesn't even have a story. Every fucking game nominated, other than PUBG, is a shinning example of gaming development. Not some half assed thrown together engine mod that is still in early access.

Entomology

Resident Misandrist™
OT Supporter
May 22, 2014
I have had a problem with Nintendo controls in almost all their games since the N64. Every time I played BotW I would have to spend around 10 minutes just familiarizing myself with the controls again because they are counter-intuitive as Hell and Nintendo's methods for control input like the WiiU gamepad leave a LOT to be desired. I've heard the Switch Pro controller is good but it's really expensive. I don't know if BotW is better on the Switch or the same, but the menus are really cumbersome on the WiiU. Crafting food, for example, is a nightmare of scrolling through pages of junk for each simple piece of food cooked.

I didn't like dealing with all the junk weapons, anyway. I don't think having a weapon break on a mob and then having that mob drop a weapon to use is a fun mechanic, I'd rather stick with a weapon that I liked and eventually upgrade when I found something better. Maybe if the weapons had something like 50x as much durability (no hyperbole) I wouldn't have minded as much. In a game that I had less complaints about, perhaps the durability issue is something I wouldn't have mentioned. But I had a LOT of complaints about BotW and they just added up and added up the further I got into the game.

Jim Sterling's review aligns pretty well with my opinion of the game:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/

I particularly agree with his comments about weapon durability:

"The other major point of contention holding back combat is – and you know I have to say it – weapon durability.

It’s hardly surprising the people of Hyrule can’t definitively put Ganon away since we’ve now learned their swords are made out of glass and wishes. Weapons break in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. They break a LOT, to the point where it starts looking absolutely pathetic, to the point where you wonder why every blacksmith in the world hasn’t been fired or thrown in jail for gross incompetence.

Weapon durability systems are never fun, and Zelda goes out of its way to make it as excruciating as it possibly can. While others have claimed that late game weapons are durable enough for it to not be a problem, I maintain that some of the more powerful weapons in the game are still miserably brittle, able to withstand maybe a handful of enemies before players get a nagging pop-up notifying them their fun with the weapon they might have been loving is about to conclude.

Once the weapon embarrassingly shatters, players will need to pause their combat – which is always something you want players to do as a designer – and select a new weapon to irreparably damage. Either that, or scrabble for something on the ground, even if it’s one of the hundreds of crap clubs that will be thrust upon Link right up until the end of the game.

Also, don’t get too excited when you find the handful of weapons that can be “repaired.” They can’t be. They break like everything else, and will need exorbitant resources spent with specific NPCs to reforge – exorbitant to the point of literally not being worth it. The only truly lasting weapon is the Master Sword, which itself comes with caveats.

Weapon durability has become a controversial talking point for this game. Some have defended it, claiming it’s not a big problem and that it “encourages variety.” I’m firmly among those who believe that it doesn’t encourage variety so much as it discourages using most of the cool weapons you find for fear of losing them, and turns their acquisition into something unexciting, almost disappointing.

Opening a chest to find another disposable weapon that I can’t get attached to is a letdown, not a reward. Never have I been so happy to just find 100 rupees at the end of a trial. At least I can invest those in something I might get to keep and enjoy, like a fancy tiara or a house."
That sounds fucking awful. :rofl: So glad I never got into Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448