The Silmarillion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lowfat, Apr 1, 2004.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Does anyone else find this book encredible boring to read? I had being trying to read this book since December. Some days the book starts to build excitment, but then the next chapter describes landscape for the next 15 pages. I am finding it soo hard to finish the book now because of all the boringness. Anyone else think this book was like this?

2. MBC

MBC Guest

Sorry mate,

one of my favorite books. If can't motivate yourself to read it, you better skip and move on to the next.

cheers Dam

3. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i had to read it twice before i really grasped all that was going on...

my advice: whatever you do, keep referring to the maps, family trees & appendix section... it makes a lot more sense. trust me. :blue:

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Moderator

:werd:

Getting to know who's who and what's what makes it better. Also, it's permissible to skip "Of Beleriand and its realms" as well as any songs. That stuff is for more advanced readers who just want more details. You can get the nutshell version of the whole chapter here.

5. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, of all the chapters in the Sil', "Of Beleriand and its realms" was the hardest for me. Just so many names and places to remember... Would have much better with a map in front of me. I actually have since purchased the Atlas of Middle-Earth, which is a pretty good reference. When I get around to re-reading the Sil', I'll be sure that have that handy.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

dont worry i skipped that chapter. and thats for the link to the map.

7. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

It found it quite easy to read since I spent a lot of time taking courses in medieval English, translating Anglo-Saxxon and Middle English.