The universe as a simulation theory...

s2k

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2002
corn field, iowa
You’ve heard of the theory...the universe is an artificial simulation...everything within it, you, me, etc...doesn’t actually exist

But what if I’m the only one (or you) that actually exists, everything else is a simulation? Kinda like putting on a VR goggles. Is there a theory for that?

No I’m not smoking anything

Reactions: Pogi and Cicada

TimzSI

#KeepFightingMichael
Oct 3, 2001
Zenadu
I prefer to think that we are a concentric series of expanding particles, molecules. Just differing in scale. From tiny sub atomics to nuclei, electron clouds, whole atoms, compounds, cells, organism, planets rotating suns. Suns rotating galactic cores, galaxies spinning around a universal center. At the central point of which begins again the series of subatomic particles.

Reactions: jr.mac42

Uncle Phil

Nov 15, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I believe in the sand beneath my toes. The beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling. I believe in the faith that grows. And that four right chords can make me cry.

• Haha
Reactions: hurleywurley

Aviv

OT Supporter
Feb 8, 2002
LBC
I jokingly started talking with my wife about my “belief” that everything around us is simulated. And then random shit happens occasionally that actually fits into the theory :rofl:

Reactions: Cicada

Dr. Mike

yes
OT Supporter
Apr 3, 2020
San Diego
I had an intense fear of this when I turned 9. Flipped out and told my parents they weren’t real and nothing was real. That I was in a perpetual dream state and everything around me was a figment of my imagination.

Anyway turns out that’s a fun and exciting way to get yourself a therapist when you’re a kid. :rofl:

ashzero

Oy yoy yoy yoy yoy
Mar 16, 2000
the energy needed to answer your question would require another simulation

TS
TS
s2k

s2k

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2002
corn field, iowa
Pretty sure you’re the first person to consider this.
There’s more to what i was thinking...not sure how to explain it...but it involves the idea of purgatory...not exactly the Catholic purgatory...but like the Catholic purgatory

The Weasel

Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew
OT Supporter
Jul 12, 2006
SoCal
200.gif

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
all the world's a 50th century teenager's VR, and I am merely a byte :scootin:

Pogi

Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0
Jan 3, 2001
North Of Chi-town
I had an intense fear of this when I turned 9. Flipped out and told my parents they weren’t real and nothing was real. That I was in a perpetual dream state and everything around me was a figment of my imagination.

Anyway turns out that’s a fun and exciting way to get yourself a therapist when you’re a kid. :rofl:

What if you are right and therapists are the garbage collection cycle and remove / clean up all the unsorted trash on the heap to keep you, the program, running well?????

Reactions: Dr. Mike

ashzero

Oy yoy yoy yoy yoy
Mar 16, 2000
you don't dream?
that's a very short portion of time, minutes that seem like days, there's an aspect of time dilation to dreams, but you're also not dreaming all the time.

i've had some crazy dreams lately that i'd like to forget, but the more i try to forget, the more they're cemented into my memory. but when i think about them, i feel like they're just the result of my brain exacerbating what i was experiencing that day. like creating another simulation in which i try to conquer those fears, which i did, in the dream... like a self-preservation mechanism.

i hope that makes sense, i've had a few drinks :big grin:

Reactions: Twinsen

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
that's a very short portion of time, minutes that seem like days, there's an aspect of time dilation to dreams, but you're also not dreaming all the time.

i've had some crazy dreams lately that i'd like to forget, but the more i try to forget, the more they're cemented into my memory. but when i think about them, i feel like they're just the result of my brain exacerbating what i was experiencing that day. like creating another simulation in which i try to conquer those fears, which i did, in the dream... like a self-preservation mechanism.

i hope that makes sense, i've had a few drinks :big grin:
i think you just described where your consciousness goes

just because you can't remember something doesn't mean you didn't experience it

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarRice