KGB ate my bread

nͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤ
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
Got my 64gb yesterday and figured instead of just bumping whatever old announcement thread I was posting in I'd make a new thread, because more threads = good for the forum.

Current Ship Status:
Current ETA Ship Dates on all models: October 2022 or later​

First impressions:
Feels awesome! Screen is also really good for what it is, I'm quite impressed with it. Right now, I'm still mostly setting it up with titles and figuring out what in my expansive catalog will run on the thing.​
One comment in that regard: A lot of games will have a lil yellow compatibility icon warning about the game not having full support. Half the time when I've looked at these comments, it's that on certain screens text can be hard to read, or that they may require the use of the virtuarl keyboard. One, in regards to a civ title I think, basically stated the first startup screen that shows the EULA is hard to read. lol, who gives AF?​
As for games, I've really gone for a good mix of fully supported, quasi-supported, and ones that steam has no clue about. I figure the latter two categories will give me a good overall feel for the gaming experience on the thing, as well as providing feedback to the system to help it figure out which unknown titles are good to go.​

Controls:
So far so good! The haptics have been good on all the inputs. The only buttons I don't like are the ones on the back of the console. I'm not sure why, but the two buttons feel so similar and with my ergonomics with it, my brain just doesn't think of it as being two buttons, and with how my hands hold it, they're almost awkward.
Having not gamed enough, I will say that last night while tired AF in bed, I played some geometry wars Retro evolved, a classic twin stick game I've been playing since... 2006? It's a game I know, and know will put a twin stick setup through it's paces. Maybe it's the arthritis in my right hand, but I found myself preferring at times to use the touchpad control. I plan on playing some shooters later today and will see how much I like it using the trackpad.
I highly recommend anyone getting a steam deck to play through Aperture Desk Job to really get a good feel for what it is capable of.

Minor gripes:
  • OS Polish has a ways to go. Sometimes there are slight delays to actions that can take some getting used/require some patience. For example: had to move games individually from internal to micro SD; sometimes the menus/prompts that'd pop up would be smooth AF, while others, there'd be maybe a 3-5 second delay between input and response. Same goes when you're installing multiple games, as it pops up a message every time you install a title. A few times I thought maybe a screen touch or button press didn't respond, only for me to have spammed the action 3 times, which the OS isn't wild about. Navigation at times can be confusing, but that's likely my lack of use.
  • Charger cable doesn't have a cable tie connected to it. The included case has a nook to it with a strap over it, presumably for stashing the charger while traveling. A tiny lil velcro strip to secure the cord once it's coiled would have been a marginal cost for Valve.
  • Screen sleep seems to take a minute; will have to be mindful of this.
  • 7/9/22 - if you move a game from one source to another, the UI shows a cancel button, and that "b" is the back button to go back to the storage screen. Hitting back cancels the move process (it doesn't move the item in the background - will probably submit as feedback)
  • 7/9/22 - IDK WHY, but the keyboard is super easy and awesome to use - use Steam + B to bring it up in desktop mode. HOWEVER - when searching in the discovery app, after it doesn't log a keystroke for a few seconds in the search bar, it takes away your cursor. IDK why, but this made finding and installing discord way dumber than it should have been :rofl:
  • 7/13/22 - case design should be flipped so I can charge it in its case.

Other Thoughts:
I'll comment later on how well things run off the MicroSD. Card I've got has max supported read speeds of up to 120mb/s, so not fast by modern standards. I threw Dark Souls III and a few other larger game installs on there just to see how they might perform.​
Also fully intend to check out gamecasting with this thing; I expect it to be fine, but I've got a few games installed both on the deck and my PC that I can compare playing on deck vs streaming to deck from PC​
Oh, Steam Workshop isn't supported yet, and honestly, I am not too sure if it will be. So, this could be problematic for some cloud saves in some games? I'm not sure, but for some people with some titles, this could be an issue.​

Upgrades:
Rambled about this in my last steam deck post in the announcement thread: If you're going to upgrade the SSD, the model SSD I'd look for would be the Samsung PM991 SSD - these seem to be widely available as they are used in MS Surface Tablets, and appear to have the lowest amp draws of models I've seen. That said, the 1tb version of this model has a floor price of about $170, so unsure this is a desirable upgrade path. 256gb is $26~ for anyone thinking about getting the 64gb Steam Deck model.​
Other brands that should be fine: Micron, WD (what valve uses), Kioxia/Hitachi. Do your research and make sure it's at least m.2 NVME​

Last edited:
TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
You literally posted in and bumped the other thread on Tuesday :yikes:
I pay for a sub damnit, IDGAF if this makes the servers run overtime.

Also, thread was dead. minus whale start anew

Maybe someone else will get one someday and bump this thread :hs: :(

Reactions: CASUAL

SBrooks1

I Bomb Atomically
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
I pay for a sub damnit, IDGAF if this makes the servers run overtime.

Also, thread was dead. minus whale start anew

Maybe someone else will get one someday and bump this thread :hs: :(
giphy.gif

deadbeef

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2020
I spent about $1000 on Steam in the past two weeks :hsd: not to mention $1000 for the 512 model on ebay.

But I don't regret a THING. Beat Portal 2, played Cat Quest until it got boring, now working on Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I actually spent half an hour in my car at work last week playing FF7 when I didn't feel like working.

I still need to get RetroArch set up and syncing my saved games.

• Support
Reactions: KGB ate my bread
TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
These look cool but I have zero need for a portable machine

For me, it's more going to be a couch gaming thing. Often on the couch with the GF watching some Korean shows on Netflix. When I'm not too interested in them I'm scrolling OT/Discord/Reddit, so this will let me do a lil' gaming. Have def put titles on there I might not otherwise play :hsd:
I spent about $1000 on Steam in the past two weeks :hsd: not to mention $1000 for the 512 model on ebay.

But I don't regret a THING. Beat Portal 2, played Cat Quest until it got boring, now working on Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I actually spent half an hour in my car at work last week playing FF7 when I didn't feel like working.

I still need to get RetroArch set up and syncing my saved games.

emudeck.png

ss1.png

deadbeef

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2020
For me, it's more going to be a couch gaming thing. Often on the couch with the GF watching some Korean shows on Netflix. When I'm not too interested in them I'm scrolling OT/Discord/Reddit, so this will let me do a lil' gaming. Have def put titles on there I might not otherwise play :hsd:

View attachment 239025

View attachment 239026
I wonder if this method will let me sync all my saved games with Resilio Sync, as I do between my other RetroArch instances :hmm:

veggie quesadilla

🌮: 4, 11, 18, 25
OT Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
I bought one for my little brother. Gave it to him back in March/April. Keeps overheating now. Crashes, reboots, locks up, etc. after ~30 minutes of playtime.

Hopefully whatever's going wrong with it is covered under warranty. :hsd:

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey
TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
I wonder if this method will let me sync all my saved games with Resilio Sync, as I do between my other RetroArch instances :hmm:
I have NO idea lol, i've not done emulation since the Nesticles day lol
I bought one for my little brother. Gave it to him back in March/April. Keeps overheating now. Crashes, reboots, locks up, etc. after ~30 minutes of playtime.

Hopefully whatever's going wrong with it is covered under warranty. :hsd:
well dang, that's not good. A lot of the tech YT I've followed haven't seemed to have these issues. My guess is that either a thermal pad came loose or something in the cooling setup isn't making proper contact anymore.
(he dropped it at some point probably :dunno: )

EDIT: @veggie quesadilla : Valve's Steam Deck comes with a 12-month standard limited warranty.

Last edited:
TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
This thing still has some polish needed to the software before I’d hand it over to a kid; system really isn’t locked down and that the desktop environment is Linux, real easy to run into some random quirks.

Ex: audio in steam crashed/bugged when I was switching back to steam from desktop and affected all audio. Only audio I had was volume indicator beep when adjusting audio on the desktop. Couldn’t resolve with rebooting as Debian saves an instance of what’s running and relaunches it on startup, or at least with steam.

I rebooted like 5 times, and realized the above while digging through settings. Wound up closing steam and that fixed it. What was frustrating about this was I didn’t know this would fix it, or what even was causing the audio issue to begin with, other than it had to be software related. That kind of experience can be frustrating.

Other things like a need to tap the screen (like a cursor click) to get the touchpads to respond when your switch from steam to desktop, or that while steam is running it changes the behavior of the trigger buttons in desktop are hopefully things they can iron out. These two things are minor minor minor, but they speak to polish likely still needed

Reactions: mistergin
TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
I've been going through and adding a ton of titles that Proton's compatibility layer has lil info on. Kinda fun and forcing me to at least re-think about some titles in my game library that I've not thought about or played in a while.

As more reports get submitted by users, the games will get added as being compatible :coold:

Also finding that their DB is pretty good about offering some fixes to get titles working for those into tinkering

Loving it so far; had hoped that maybe control wise I'd be able to use it to fuck around in something like Apex: Legends, but idk, for me it's just too much of a different experience. I spent maybe 10 minutes in the shooting range yesterday and just didn't get to a point where I'd feel confident to go and play online, though looking at some of the control schemes included, there's one or two movement minded ones that I think would maybe do the trick. Also didn't spend enough time trying to use the trackpad for aiming as I'd have liked. Been fun for gaming on the couch and I'm finding the indie games that I own often run without issue and are as fun as ever. Been perfect for use on the shitter.

As for emulation, having a lil' less luck there. All NES/SNES/Genesis titles I've tried to play have worked fine, but Saturn is more hit & miss than I'd like and that's a bit of a bummer for me as I physically own one and some of these games and was hoping to compare the experience between the two, as well as have a better ability to play some titles I wouldn't be able to afford to play otherwise.

Definitely thinking of getting a skin for it and screen protector from dbrand, they've got a leather skin that looks damn nice that should age well.
leather.png

Also saw this linked as a sponsor in a LTT video and it seems like a legit dock
dock.png

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman