EDU FIT The world's biggest four-day work week trial is changing people's lives

DCC

I am reality and I crash the party
OT Supporter
Apr 21, 2004
Working against keeping ATX weird
I can't imagine a day that the stock market would only be open 4 days a week. Meanwhile, I'm sure ppl said the same thing 100 years ago about not being able to imagine it only being open 5 days a week. It would be gigantic if the finance and banking industry cut off a complete day of work.
So fewer opportunities to make money? That’s terrible

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
If you can cut everyone's hours 20% and see no drop in productivity, doesn't that suggest you're overstaffed to begin with? My wife works for the county and they're perpetually understaffed, especially with all the sickies losing days. They occasionally work voluntary overtime to make a dent in stuff they can't get to during the week Giving everyone Friday off wouldn't help.
I mean she works a public government organization, you could give them 7days a week 24hrs a day and they still somehow wouldnt get anything done

spooled2.2

fuck off real life flanders
OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2002
Rancho Relaxo
Would love 4 days. That 5th weekday, especially it the summer is precarious from a productivity standpoint anyway.

Getting 3 day weekends is a compelling tradeoff to haul ass M-T every week.

Reactions: majesty

Tesla Death Ray

Open your mouth, I'm gonna put something nice into
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2006
Your Best Nightmare
Could happen here in Canada easily. The way workers are treated in the US is mostly illegal here 😂

I appreciate your optimism, and maybe with the right PM it could happen, but Trudeau is the ultimate corporate lapdog and he's reneged on most of the promises he's made, so I can't see him giving any support for this

spooled2.2

fuck off real life flanders
OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2002
Rancho Relaxo
I appreciate your optimism, and maybe with the right PM it could happen, but Trudeau is the ultimate corporate lapdog and he's reneged on most of the promises he's made, so I can't see him giving any support for this
You better qualify that for only companies based in Quebec.

Do it To it

Only thing I hate more than kids is an empty glass
OT Supporter
Mar 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
As someone who went from 12 days on, 2 days off which was the most brutal schedule I've ever had....straight into being scheduled 57 hours a week and working 63+ while never having 2 days off in a row.....straight to being scheduled 53 hours a week and working more and still never having 2 days off in a row...... Y'all faggots complaining about a 40 hour work week are a bunch of pansies.

Fortunetly I make a decent living now.... I used to just do this shit for sport.

• Support
Reactions: majesty and Nikuk

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦

He got us all high. He can give us all long weekends :rofl:

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
you stagger it for 1/2 are off friday and the other 1/2 monday so you always have a full weeks coverage

it causes people to work more during a given day vs push stuff off till later
The mon-thurs crew just leaves everything for the Friday people.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
So they're basically overstaffed. That is, people are working 5 days but only have 4 days (or less) of actual work do to. Given 4 days, they fuck off less and do 4 days of work in 4 instead of 5.
shift from salary to deliverable pay and suddenly it gets done quick.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
my gosh its almost like there can be multiple shifts of workers.

i know crazy right?

clearly these people have never been exposed to manufacturing that runs 2x 12 hours shifts on a 3/4 day rotating schedule

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I had that thought, but things can be difficult to quantify.

personally my ideal solution would be a smaller base pay with quarterly bonus on delivery schedule.

ex: if my dev is 175k a year now.

75k base pay. 25k quarterly bonus for doing the usual amount of work. ability to double that by being a hustler or good. how that quantifies is the fucker on software development work. if I quote out 200 hours for a project and you get it knocked out in 50 meeting spec, peer, etc then I think you deserve a chunk of the saved time. 50% of saved hours seems really good for them. just thinking out loud. not in love with it.

for line workers doing document management even easier. X units reviewed per hour = base. exceed that you get paid per unit. your quality score determines how much per unit for the time period.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
clearly these people have never been exposed to manufacturing that runs 2x 12 hours shifts on a 3/4 day rotating schedule
exactly.

you still need the same amount of man hours per week to keep the store open.

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
As someone who went from 12 days on, 2 days off which was the most brutal schedule I've ever had....straight into being scheduled 57 hours a week and working 63+ while never having 2 days off in a row.....straight to being scheduled 53 hours a week and working more and still never having 2 days off in a row...... Y'all faggots complaining about a 40 hour work week are a bunch of pansies.

Fortunetly I make a decent living now.... I used to just do this shit for sport.

Sorry you were abused man. We all deserve better. :hug:

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Many of y’all haven’t lived abroad. Many countries close everything down Saturday after 3-4pm and have a majority of shops closed on Sunday.

It’s a way better quality of life when everyone has time to relax and unwind. No workers should be abused and forced to work insane hours just to get by.

Reactions: DasVWBabe

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I can't imagine a day that the stock market would only be open 4 days a week. Meanwhile, I'm sure ppl said the same thing 100 years ago about not being able to imagine it only being open 5 days a week. It would be gigantic if the finance and banking industry cut off a complete day of work.
Cockchain iirc

• Haha
Reactions: Dodgers

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971