SRS Therapy...covered by medical insurance?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lurker111, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

[not physical therapy]Just curious if normally the average medical insurer would cover this. I realize the definitive answer would be with the insurance company provided by my workplace but I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience in this. If possible I'd like to ideally setup a pre-tax health care spending account where the amount contributed would exactly match my co-pays/deductibles etc...to save a little cash since I don't have much.

I definitely need some anger management help. I had a bad problem as a child and teenager. I had it under control by the time I hit 19 but since I've had some personal problems starting from 2 years ago and I've felt my self control slip. I do NOT want to end up knocking out co-workers or customers at work.

2. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Most providers worth their salt provide it. Mine has the same co-pay per outpatient visit as a normal doctor's visit.

The only thing that's shitty about it is that I'm limited to 20 outpatient visits a year. :sad2:

I'm currently seeing one, let me know if you want input.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You need to check your insurance. Most used to cover a limited number of sessions per year. But with medical costs spiraling in the US... most now cover only limited in-patient mental health stuff. As in you check into a mental hospital. Sucks, don't it? Don't vote republican ;)

But you can check, and maybe its covered. Just depends on your insurance.

4. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

it depends what your condition is as well... if you have a major mental illness then it'll usually cover weekly appointments but not for alcohol/drugs/anger management or even PTSD.

5. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

That's a pretty shitty plan if they don't even support basic mental health issues like PTSD and so forth. :ugh:

For this reason, BlueShield > *.HCPs...even if you have to pay up the ass to have them.

6. johan

johan Active Member

You need to find out what YOUR insurer covers, not mine or anyone else's.

Call your insurer up, they probably even have a 1-800 number. Ask a general question about counselling / therapy coverage.