CAR Thinking about buying my first bike...

TS
TS
WTFox

WTFox

Aug 10, 2010
Memphis
I don't have my m license. I have ridden the 919 once. I know that the DMV has a weekend course that also helps out on insurance. I planned on taking that.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
(ninja 250 suggestions in 3...2...1...)

but seriously you're a new rider wanting to start out on a bike with enough power to throw your ass off with the slightest error with giving too much throttle, letting the clutch out a bit too quick, etc. a ton of power for very little experience might be a pretty risky plan, if ya do it just take it easy for a good length of time and don't let yourself think you're a stud rider after 2 weeks also buy and wear good gear.

TS
TS
WTFox

WTFox

Aug 10, 2010
Memphis
(ninja 250 suggestions in 3...2...1...)

but seriously you're a new rider wanting to start out on a bike with enough power to throw your ass off with the slightest error with giving too much throttle, letting the clutch out a bit too quick, etc. a ton of power for very little experience might be a pretty risky plan, if ya do it just take it easy for a good length of time and don't let yourself think you're a stud rider after 2 weeks also buy and wear good gear.
I agree.. but I don't want to buy a bike now, then later want one that has more power. I do plan to be super careful and not get cocky.

The 599 looks nice as well.

Last edited:

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
I agree.. but I don't want to buy a bike now, then later want one that has more powerful. I do plan to be super careful and not get cocky.

1) thats every newbs's excuse... because you know, the guys with actual riding experience don't know what they're talking about
2) that never happens...

GuiltySparc

OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Maryland
As someone who just bought their first bike, i am extremely happy that i got a 250 and not anything bigger. The first time i took it out i was letting go of the clutch too quickly while playing with the friction zone and ROCKETED out of the garage, nearly missing my car in the driveway. If it had been a bigger bike i likely would have ended up in the bushes across the street.

At the end of the day i had a puckered asshole and a pretty funny story instead of potentially damaging myself or the bike. As someone told me when i was starting out, its not about being careful or having respect for the bike, its about not having the muscle memory and mechanics for riding.

Read This and then tell me why you dont want a smaller bike.
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/159549-vexs-observations-purchasing-250-a.html

Oct 17, 2004
New England
I agree.. but I don't want to buy a bike now, then later want one that has more power. I do plan to be super careful and not get cocky.

Everyone "plans on being super careful" but you're supposedly here asking for advice. So the advice is that's not a good starter bike. Get a 250 or sv650 and get used to riding. Pick one up that's 3-4 years old and ride it for a year and you'll be ablest sell it for about the same so you won't take a loss.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005

i understand, and i'd start larger than a 250 personally as well but not a 900cc+ sport bike that is just trying to buck you off any chance it gets lol.

i've been riding streetbikes just shy of 20 years most of which has been harley, i did own 1 sport bike (a 600cc Honda CBR) and i've been thinking about buying a sportbike but i know that the difference will be HUGE and if i make the decision to buy a sportbike again i'll be acting like i'm new to bikes until i get used to the silly power to weight ratio. with almost no experience riding (and i'm not trying to be a dickhead) it's a risky plan to jump into a monster of a bike, you might make it perfectly fine but your odds are not as good as if you started on a bike with less of that silly power that the bike you're thinking of has.

like i said just don't let ego take over and take it really really easy for a good length of time in different driving environments before you start getting heavy on the throttle if you do go with a 919

if you take the mature responsible approach and control yourself for months and wear good gear you'll probably be fine, ya might lay it down but at least ya won't be doing any crazy shit when you do it so you'll have a better chance of walking away from it.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
As someone who just bought their first bike, i am extremely happy that i got a 250 and not anything bigger. The first time i took it out i was letting go of the clutch too quickly while playing with the friction zone and ROCKETED out of the garage, nearly missing my car in the driveway. If it had been a bigger bike i likely would have ended up in the bushes across the street.

lol, yeah a 919 would have launched and your ass would have been laying on the pavement watching the bike sliding on the pavement.

enjoying the 250 so far?

P.S.
Every new rider does exactly what this guy is talking about. I bet 90%+ of us on here did this exact same thing when we were new riders, i know i sure did. and letting that clutch out to fast on a bike loaded with insane power is gonna be a rough day, but it would likely not injure you to bad if you're wearing gear, just scar up the bike a bit. just be careful, there are things that every new rider does that with a forgiving bike ya get away with and with a less forgiving bike ya might not, i'd be saying the same thing for a large harley for a new rider, they're fucking heavy and hard to handle for new riders etc

GuiltySparc

OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Maryland
lol, yeah a 919 would have launched and your ass would have been laying on the pavement watching the bike sliding on the pavement.

enjoying the 250 so far?

The 919, or shit even a 600 ss probably, would have flipped up into the air and crashed down on the driveway if i was lucky, or onto my car.

But ya man, i'm loving it so far. With that said i've only done about a dozen laps around my little street with a top speed of ~25mph since i dont have tags yet and only a learner's permit. MSF in a couple weeks cant get here soon enough. :bowdown:

P.S.
Every new rider does exactly what this guy is talking about. I bet 90%+ of us on here did this exact same thing when we were new riders, i know i sure did. and letting that clutch out to fast on a bike loaded with insane power is gonna be a rough day, but it would likely not injure you to bad if you're wearing gear, just scar up the bike a bit. just be careful, there are things that every new rider does that with a forgiving bike ya get away with and with a less forgiving bike ya might not, i'd be saying the same thing for a large harley for a new rider, they're fucking heavy and hard to handle for new riders etc

Word. I've been daily driving a manual transmissions in fast cars for years so its not like i'm new to the whole clutch thing either. Its just so completely different from a body mechanics point of view.

TS
TS
WTFox

WTFox

Aug 10, 2010
Memphis
i understand, and i'd start larger than a 250 personally as well but not a 900cc+ sport bike that is just trying to buck you off any chance it gets lol.

i've been riding streetbikes just shy of 20 years most of which has been harley, i did own 1 sport bike (a 600cc Honda CBR) and i've been thinking about buying a sportbike but i know that the difference will be HUGE and if i make the decision to buy a sportbike again i'll be acting like i'm new to bikes until i get used to the silly power to weight ratio. with almost no experience riding (and i'm not trying to be a dickhead) it's a risky plan to jump into a monster of a bike, you might make it perfectly fine but your odds are not as good as if you started on a bike with less of that silly power that the bike you're thinking of has.

like i said just don't let ego take over and take it really really easy for a good length of time in different driving environments before you start getting heavy on the throttle if you do go with a 919

if you take the mature responsible approach and control yourself for months and wear good gear you'll probably be fine, ya might lay it down but at least ya won't be doing any crazy shit when you do it so you'll have a better chance of walking away from it.
Thanks for everyones advice, and you're right. I know that it's a lot easier for me to say I'll be careful right now (not having a bike) than later on some interstate. Although I do plan to avoid interstates for the first few months. I have rode a 919 before. I liked the way it handled, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Another thing I liked about 919 was that it looks somewhat naked. The 599 looked like that too. I find myself liking that a lot more than the CBR's with all the cosmetics.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
too be honest ninja 250's aren't that expensive, they're popular, relatively easy to resell after a summer of getting used to riding. I haven't got the 250 experience that others here have but i bet some of these guys can talk about that aspect, the used 250 market seems to be pretty easy to resell in in my area from what i see on craigslist, the bigger bikes are what is hard to sell.

Oct 17, 2004
New England
I've got $5 says he buys a 919.

COME "ASKING FOR ADVICE" AND UNIVERSALLY BE TOLD IT'S A BAD IDEA.

DO IT ANYWAY BECAUSE "I do plan to be super careful"

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
i just have visions of a buddy at work who never rode before buying a brand new harley electra glide, guy was riding about a week when he came into work saying he laid it down lol, super slow speed he somehow got off balance, the bike started leaning 1 way, not easy to muscle a bike that size to where ya want it and bam, no injuries but a brand new harley with battle scars, almost made me cry lol

i can only imagine with the power these sport bikes make now what it would be like to learn to ride on a 919, just seems like 1 oops is gonna hurt

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
something like this

:rofl:

[y]Q9zNUPDmnz4[/y]

LOL well that's 1 way to break in your new leathers

damn that'd suck so bad, i can't imagine dumping a bike before i even get it out of the dealerships parking lot lol.

AVengeance

Aug 17, 2004
In my bunker Position:Hunkering

Don't worry about not wanting another one later. You will. New style, new color, new model, new engine, blah blah blah. At some point you wanted a newer car, right? It will be the same with the bike. Just get one that is forgiving, comfortable, and fairly inexpensive (not "cheap", as you don't want to buy someone else's problems). You'd be amazed at how your perception can affect what happens on the bike, even more than the bike itself.

My wife recently dumped my 650R into a ditch, and she was being "super careful". I posted a wall of text in a new thread; go read it.

Junkie

re-tarded
OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Santa Clara, CA
because a 600 supersport is a great bike to start on :ugh: I've been riding for >5 years, half a dozen trackdays in the past two years, and can't take advantage of all the performance of a damn SV650.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxvell32