TECH Thinking of building a hackintosh...

5SpeedSER

Jun 18, 2003
South Florida
For those against hackintosh's... please do your self a favor and hit the back button.

Anyways, Im looking at replacing my aging powermac g5 dp2ghz with a hackintosh. I know im going to go the EFI-X route, as it just seems to be easier overall, and i like the interface it adds. Anyways its gonna be a cheap build but not too drastic and going to use the G5s case and gut it and keep it and my current cinema display, to keep the feel of an apple computer.

Any real downsides to doing this, possible future limits? Ive played with running OSX on a pc with my g/fs laptop and its been a pita due to driver conflicts.... hence why im gonna go efix and follow their hardware recommendations

TheWeasel

Seems like a huge pain in the ass. No knowing what will happen when Snow Leopard or any other update comes out either. Seems like most people always have something that's not working quite right.

TS
TS
5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER

Jun 18, 2003
South Florida
Seems like a huge pain in the ass. No knowing what will happen when Snow Leopard or any other update comes out either. Seems like most people always have something that's not working quite right.

thats kinda whats holding me back right now.... we'll see. the g5 is still chugging along anyways.

assclown

Mar 11, 2003
NYC
Actually EFIX seems to work perfectly. Check out the video here:

http://gizmodo.com/5049756/review-efix-dongle-perfectly-transforms-pc-to-mac

benchmarks_2.jpg

TS
TS
5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER

Jun 18, 2003
South Florida
efi-x seems to work well... im just wondering how future proof it is mainly. i know i can always throw windows on if my machine becomes useless... but thats not my hopes. i would like a machine that will atleast make it to 10.7 or 10.8 theoretically.... the g5 will not do that. kinda disappointed it wont eve make 10.6 from the sounds of it.

This is a secondary machine BTW, so its not a huge deal... more of a project to me. I have a macbook as my "primary" machine, though i use it alot less lately.

quid

I Piss Excellence
OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2004
california
DOT.

my buddy did this, the shit you have to really hack (as in not just install some premade patch from the internet) is retarded. it took him like a day to get his second monitor working.

other than weird little quirks he has a pretty sick machine for much less than a mac pro. its just a core duo, so obviously not directly comparable to a pro, but sick machine, not much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan