ART Thinking of getting a new P&S

jbatbdc

Jun 11, 2007
Thinking of getting a new P&S v. halp

Recommendations?

Canon G10? G9? used G7?

New Panasonic LX-3?

Sigma DP1 or just Announced DP2?

I'm really looking for a camera that can be a replacement for my DSLR. I'm finding that I don't even take it on trips anymore. :wtc:

Last edited:

pl_silverado

OT Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Philly
I had a G9 in addition to my D90, and i just didn't find myself using it, so i sold it and spent the money on more lenses.
I did buy a Canon SD1100IS for when i go club/bar hopping ;) The G9 wasn't compact enough for that.

OlafBeserka

girls pee pee when they see me
OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Hella Bay Area
I do. I have a sd850is for when I don't want to lug my DSLR around. Was handy when I went snowboarding. :wiggle:

I need to get a P&S just for this reason. I took my dslr mountain biking with me on my last ride and I kept forgetting I had it. If I feel it would of been all over

¤

Feb 17, 2002
Mammoth Mtn & LA, CA
Canon SD870 IS or SD880 IS have lenses that are wider-angle than most other compact P&S.

I love my 870 for indoor and landscape/snowboarding shots. Will probably upgrade to the 880 soon. It has the new, faster processor.

percent

deluded
Jan 5, 2004
The Desert West
Are the new canon p&s any good? I had 3 canons from 2-5 mpx and they all took shitty underexposed often out of focus pictures for a short period of time before they broke. One just stopped working, two had their zoom mechanisms freeze and refused to turn on anymore.

OlafBeserka

girls pee pee when they see me
OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Hella Bay Area
Canon SD870 IS or SD880 IS have lenses that are wider-angle than most other compact P&S.

I love my 870 for indoor and landscape/snowboarding shots. Will probably upgrade to the 880 soon. It has the new, faster processor.

let me know if you sell it, I need one.

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I haven't bought a P&S since I got my D-SLR 3 years ago. I guess I don't care to take photos when I'm out (bars and what-not). Other times I usually have my camera around my shoulder anyway.

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
again i love my g9... does video awesome, its compact enough, and with a tiny tripod i take it everywhere. Now i always have a cam on me, where i didnt have the the option of bringing my slr bodies everywhere without discomfort.

ZCP M3

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm a fan of my G9 for its semi-compactness and ability to shoot RAW. Doesn't fare well above ISO 400, but ya can't have everything. :hsd:

TS
TS

jbatbdc

Jun 11, 2007
I'm really thinking of having a good P&S for when I travel really lightly. 1 carry on is what I prefer to have. Something like a convertible bag that can be a backpack or a shoulder bag. For this reason I want a smaller camera and a small tripod.

The G9 really interests me as I can pick up a used one for pretty cheap ($350).

Any nice lightweight tripods people use for their P&S? I want something that'll extend pretty tall, but still pack away pretty small.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor