TECH thinkiong about ungrading the hd in my mbp

dirteemac

hey, how are you?
Nov 14, 2001
thinking about ungrading the hd in my mbp

my paltry 100gb hd just isn't cutting it anymore. I have a 320gig hd that I use for time machine, so I'm thinking about upgrading to at most a 320 gig internal one. I was wondering if I could restore my internal hd to factory settings so I can wipe any information on there that I would prefer to keep private before I take it somewhere and have it upgraded. Can I then restore it to how it is now once I get the new hard drive in via time machine?

thanks for reading.

Last edited:

andymodem

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Oct 4, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Make sure you run Time Machine to get the most up to date backup done.

Install new hard drive yourself, and restore backup to new drive.

TS
TS
dirteemac

dirteemac

hey, how are you?
Nov 14, 2001
doing it yourself looks hard. I have the first gen intel mbp. I watched a video of some guy upgrading his hd and it took like an hour and there were like a million screws involved.

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
ah... the first gens...
my dad has a first gen and you basically need to take the whole computer apart :rofl:

it's not that bad really once you get into it...

TheWeasel

ah... the first gens...
my dad has a first gen and you basically need to take the whole computer apart :rofl:

it's not that bad really once you get into it...

:werd: Just keep track of the screws and you'll be fine. You'll need a T6 torx and a small screwdriver.

TS
TS
dirteemac

dirteemac

hey, how are you?
Nov 14, 2001
got a new 500 gb installed today. it's like having a new computer again, literally. I got a fresh install of snow leopard on here but time machine is not doing it's job of restoring the computer to how it was originally.

TS
TS
dirteemac

dirteemac

hey, how are you?
Nov 14, 2001
I stand corrected! I guess I didn't follow the restore procedure the right way! My computer's back to the way it was just with a bigger hd. ALL HAIL TIME MACHINE!

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor