CAR This is not a milk thread. I have owned my '74 Eldorado convertible for 2 years now but it's time for a build thread

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Further back on the console I had to make a cover plate to hold the hinges for the rear compartment door and to retain the rear upper trim. I gave it the same profile as the armrests since it's at the same height and then double upholster it so it would be squishy but still firm like the door panels. The plate itself is 3D printed and it's mounted to a wood frame.

IMG_9883.JPG

IMG_9885.JPG

IMG_9888.JPG

The hinges are a wraparound style and I painted them to match the upholstery.

IMG_9889.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

IMG_9891.JPG

The rear compartment door is plywood with a 3D printed "bump" for the latch. The latch is also 3D printed but it's printed out of metal.

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9892.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Now came the hard part: the front curved compartment lid. It took several tries to get the shape right and to add all the features needed to mount, upholster, and attach the latch. Here is the final raw 3D printed part:

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9906.JPG

Here it is test fitted on the console with the 3D printed metal latch mounted.

IMG_9929.JPG

IMG_9930.JPG

Next I glued tack strips in the grooves on the inside so I could upholstery it.

IMG_9931.JPG

IMG_9932.JPG

And then I padded the door like the rear compartment door.

IMG_9933.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The upholstery for the front compartment door was a bit more complex than the rear door and had to be made out of several pieces sewn together. Here are the patterns.

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9936.JPG

With all the parts cut out, I sewed the pieces together, stapled them to the door, and then test fit the door.

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9938.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

Next was to made a trim plate for the inside of the door to hide the staples. I printed this part also so it would fit tight.

IMG_9945.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I then mounted the console back in the car so I could start work on the waterfall piece that goes between the upper parts of the rear seatbacks.

IMG_0145.JPG

The factory style Talisman rear console had an upholstered waterfall that matched the seats.

1974 Talisman rear interior.jpg

I wanted something different and I decided that a waterfall that marched the style of the upper side panels and upper door panels would look good in a convertible. I first printed the waterfall piece.

IMG_0256.JPG

Next I printed the stainless trim out of metal and then threaded the mounting studs.

IMG-0246.jpg

IMG-0247.jpg

Then I powder coated the part so it looked more like polished stainless.

IMG_0253.JPG

Then I added a "wood" accent stripe like the other parts have.

IMG_0255.JPG

I then put the "wood" on the printed waterfall and bolted the metal trim on.

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

And finally I popped the waterfall in place.

IMG_0259.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The other thing I worked on was what I called "The quest for quiet". The exhaust on this car was a mixture of original parts and poorly made aftermarket parts. The resonator was replaced with a piece of pipe and the factory muffler was rusted out. It sounded about as bad as you would expect it would. I had already replaced the muffler and added a replacement resonator with little change so now it was time to actually see what was wrong. I started out by making a new rear section. This piece had been replaced before and did not fit very well. I have never done any exhaust work before so I broke out the Hobart and got some mandrel bent pieces and started gluing parts together. Here is the rear section that was on the car. It goes from the muffler, over the rear axle beam, around the gas tank, and over to the resonator.

IMG_9682.JPG

IMG_9680.JPG

I bought some mandrel bent parts and started to test fit everything

IMG_9685.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

After some adjustments, things seem to clear everything OK.

IMG_9693.JPG

IMG_9689.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

I don't claim to be a welder but I was able to stick things together relatively OK.

IMG_9727.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
With the rear section all welded up, it fit well enough to not hit anything so I bolted it in.

IMG_9728.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

After all of that, when I started it back up, it did not seem to make much of a difference. I was a bit annoyed but the section I replaced was crap and needed to go anyway so at least it was not wasted effort.

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Forward of the muffler was a little jog in the mid pipe that was kind of crusty looking and not in the best shape. I found an aftermarket pre-bent part that was for a ~2000 Explorer with the right diameter and offset. I cut off what I needed and replaced the jog.

IMG_9670.JPG

IMG_9671.JPG

IMG_9674.JPG

What I did not take a pic of but should have is what I found inside the jog. Back in the '70s when this car was made, Cadillac was using double walled exhaust pipes. There was no gap between the walls, the double walled construction was just there to make it thicker and a bit more quiet possibly? Inside the jog that I cut off, there was a big bubble sticking up in the bend where the inner wall puckered when it was bent. I really did not think much of it when I cut it off since I was removing it. A few days later when I was looking around to see if I could find something obvious for the persistent huge exhaust leak, I noticed what looked like a long dent on side the mid pipe. There was no way for anything to hit it there so I just cut it off to see what was going on. This is what I found inside:

IMG_9751.JPG

That bulge was about an inch tall and was about 18" long. I did cut the pipe in half where the bulge was at and the metal was clean with zero rust at all so it had been that way most likely from the factory. I replaced the section of pipe and added an O2 bung in case I decide to add fuel injection.

IMG_9758.JPG

With those obvious flaws fixed, I fired it up and...

No change at all in the sound. :mad:

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
There was not much left of the factory exhaust at all and I spent a considerable amount of time fixing even the most tiny of pinhole leaks. I pulled the manifolds off and ground the mating surfaces for the heads to a perfect finish. I installed new graphite crush gaskets between the manifolds and the heads. I pressurized the system and checked and double checked every joint and there were zero leaks. I was left with only one other option: cut the y-pipe out. There is zero possibility to get the y-pipe out of the car in one piece. Even the factory service manual says to just cut it and replace it with a new one. There are aftermarket units but they don't look that great (small pipes with crush bends) and it looked a bit more complex than the other part that I had pieced together. Still though, I had no choice if I wanted to solve the issue so out came the angle grinder. I made sure to make marks so I could put it back together once it was out and I stated cutting.

IMG_9921.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

IMG_9923.JPG

Once it was out, this is what I found in the drivers side down pipe:

IMG_9928.JPG

There was no indication of a problem on the outside of the pipe but almost half of the pipe was blocked up with that jagged bulge inside that pipe. It had never been apart before and all indication showed that it had been that was from the factory.

Last edited:
TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I actually piled all the part in the trunk of my other car and took it all to the closet Summit Racing store to get more mandrel bent parts. I mocked up the y-pipe on stands and started fitting parts.

IMG_9926.JPG

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9924.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

Unfortunately, I did not take any pics of the finished y-pipe...
I will get some pics of it in the car though and add them soon. The end result was positive. The noise I was trying to fix is now gone but the exhaust is now a bit leaky in places. I'm kind of tired of working on it right now though so I will fix that part in the near future. I have band clamps on it in places and I really need to get some weld on flanges or V-band clamps that will do a better job of sealing. Also, the little two to one Y that I'm using seems to be acting like a resonator a bit so I need to either wrap it or replace it with something without a chamber to quiet it down a bit more.

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
So cool to see your craftsmanship and attention to detail. Definitely an inspiration for me and the projects I'm working on.

Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: jelloslug

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
My only guess is that they happened during the manufacturing process. The passenger side down pipe has just as many bend as the drivers side and it did not have bulges in it at all.
Whatever was going on in the Y pipe almost looked like some machine was forming flat steel into pipe and the edges caught and folded inward. :dunno:

Reactions: jelloslug

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448