CAR This is not a milk thread. I have owned my '74 Eldorado convertible for 2 years now but it's time for a build thread

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The old sound deadening/heat shielding material was a combination of asphalt impregnated cardboard and rockwool padding. All of it was wet, musty, and horribly degraded. Needless to say, all of it went into the trash. I replaced it with a adhesive butyl membrane that has an aluminum heat shield on one side. I put two lays of the membrane on the firewall and the floor.

IMG_6461.JPG

IMG_6462.JPG

IMG_6473.JPG

On the firewall, I added a layer of self adhesive foam insulation. From the factory, there was an extra layer of rockwool so this will replace that layer.

IMG_6474.JPG

IMG_6476.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
With the work on the firewall finishing up, I starting working on the HVAC control box. It contains the logic controller, the vacuum system, and the heater core. I already knew that one of the vacuum actuators was bad and everything was really dirty.

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

With the control box open, I went ahead and replaced the heater core. It was cheap and replacing it later would be a massive pain in the ass.

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I repainted the steering column and replaced a broken lock clip inside the column.

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

The turn signal stalk was rusty so I found a replacement that was in much better condition. There is a button for the cruise control on the end of the turn signal stalk and if you just pull the small harness out of the column, you have to take the entire column apart to get it back though. They provide a hole in the connector to attach a wire to so you can fish the new harness back though.

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The vacuum booster was making a hissing noise inside and there were some loose parts. Turns out there was a torn boot and a retainer clip that had popped out.

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

(I seem to be missing the pic of the new boot)

The booster itself was a bit rusty and I was feeling artistic so I tried to replicate the gold cadmium finish with paint. It turned out OKish.

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6612.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6638.JPG

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
First, I am impressed, meticulous work, every detail is friggin spot on.

Second, that floor pan was pretty goddamned clean for a convertible with a hole in the top, I am at a loss for words how nice it is age and environmentally speaking.

Third, this nigga uses sprayway! :bowdown:

I am totally impressed by your work and quality of everything you've touched this far! :bowdown:

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
nice, I figured you must have a sandblaster with how some of the after pics looked.

awesome work. I recognize some of the words, and I can tell that the after pics are much cleaner than the before pics, without broken pieces :bowdown:

Reactions: jelloslug
TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
First, I am impressed, meticulous work, every detail is friggin spot on.

Second, that floor pan was pretty goddamned clean for a convertible with a hole in the top, I am at a loss for words how nice it is age and environmentally speaking.

Third, this nigga uses sprayway! :bowdown:

I am totally impressed by your work and quality of everything you've touched this far! :bowdown:
The lack of rust is the reason why I bought it. I know it was covered with a tarp while it was stored in the barn it was is because you can (could) see marks in the paint were the tarp corners were blowing around for years and years. The engine (and the majority of the entire vehicle) has never been touched. The rear brakes still had the factory shoes and the rear wheel bearings still had their factory grease in them. The only parts under the hood that had been changed were the alternator and the master cylinder. The only interior parts that had been disassembled were the things that were removed when the accident repair happened back when it was almost new.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448