CAR This is not a milk thread. I have owned my '74 Eldorado convertible for 2 years now but it's time for a build thread

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
nice, I figured you must have a sandblaster with how some of the after pics looked.

awesome work. I recognize some of the words, and I can tell that the after pics are much cleaner than the before pics, without broken pieces :bowdown:
Yep, I love sandblasting parts but I also use a lot of Evaporust. There are lots of parts that you just cannot sandblast and Evaporust does a great job without harming the metal. I use to use phosphoric acid but I made the mistake of forgetting a part in it once. By the time I remembered it, it was gone...

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Awesome work. Love seeing the progress and steps. Interior should look good, even if it isn't the original Cranberry color.
If I really get serious about the carpet color, I will get a light colored carpet and dye it. It would not be that expensive to try but I have so many other things to work on first that it will be a project for another time. What I really want is a '70s style deep pile carpet. Nobody reproduces that type of material though.

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
If I really get serious about the carpet color, I will get a light colored carpet and dye it. It would not be that expensive to try but I have so many other things to work on first that it will be a project for another time. What I really want is a '70s style deep pile carpet. Nobody reproduces that type of material though.
@DeezNortz?

Reactions: jelloslug

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
Excellent! Love this kind of work. Bolting brand new shiny parts together for some hot rod has it's attraction but this kind of restoration soothes my soul. :bowdown:

Reactions: jelloslug
TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Next on the dashboard project are all the controls and switches. I started with the automatic climate control head. Like everything else, it was incredibly dusty and dirty and the circuit board was very dirty. This car was made in the era just before digital computer controlled devices and metri-pak connectors. Most of the electronic devices are analog and they are just open to the elements. The connectors are the same thing that GM had been using since the '50s so they would corrode really easily also. Fighting electrical gremlins in a car like this can be time consuming if you don't take the time to clean every connector and device. On to the cleaning!

IMG_6678.JPG

IMG_6679.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

IMG_6686.JPG

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
what do you use to paint the structural components vs the body? do you have a booth?
Interested in his answer, but for me, I would shoot most structure with epoxy primer, and if a top coat was needed, just a rattle can.

You don't "need" a booth as long as you use good ppe and can move air enough to keep over spray from laying back down on the parts

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Interested in his answer, but for me, I would shoot most structure with epoxy primer, and if a top coat was needed, just a rattle can.

You don't "need" a booth as long as you use good ppe and can move air enough to keep over spray from laying back down on the parts
For 2k paints, I always use a respirator regardless of where or how I'm painting. For store bought rattle cans with my little paint booth, you don't get any fumes at all.

Reactions: Normie
TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The wiper switch is the last of the switches and controls. It was the worst of the bunch as the clear plastic overlay was cracked. It was fairly clean but still worn and of need of a restoration. I actually bought a nice replacement switch but the connectors were different. In the end, I combining the best parts from both switches to make one good one.

IMG_6835.JPG

Here is the replacement:

IMG_6837.JPG

My module has two plugs and the replacement only has one:

IMG_6839.JPG

The face on the replacement is better but the chrome on my old one is better.

IMG_6843.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The instrument cluster was not horrible but there was a little bit of rust on the black bezel, the lens was dirty and lightly scratched and there was a spider and some grung behind the lens.

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

There was piece of foam that was used to block light internally. It just turned to dust.

IMG_6753.JPG

I took the entire cluster apart to clean everything out.

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I replaced the little foam block, polished the lens and put it all back together.

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

A few of the traces had lifted on the mylar illumination circuit board. I was able to just glue them back down with some very thing double stick tape.

IMG_6793.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG

The vast majority of the bulb sockets were corroded and bad. I just happened to have a big bad of them from other clusters that I had scrapped a while back.

IMG_6796.JPG

Last edited:
TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
The dash vents are kind of fragile and the chrome likes to flake off of them. I had been collecting them from junkyards and online for a while so I had enough parts to put four nice ones together. I first took all of them apart and clean them.

IMG_6876.JPG

You can seed the difference between one that has been polished and one that has not.

IMG_6874.JPG

There are little foam pads on the side of the vents that give the vent a little resistance so it won't just flop around. They are all degraded and not doing anything. I made new ones so they will stay where you put them.

IMG_6870.JPG

IMG_6881.JPG

The little adjusters are bad to have the chrome flake off. The little black line in the middle also like to fade away completely. It took several junk yard trips to find four good ones.

IMG_6882.JPG

IMG_6883.JPG

The end result:

IMG_6885.JPG

IMG_6886.JPG

IMG_6887.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448