CAR This is not a milk thread. I have owned my '74 Eldorado convertible for 2 years now but it's time for a build thread

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Side note: The only 8-Tracks I have I found in the trunk of a car in the classic car junk yard I go to. They were in the trunk of a Coupe deVille that the trunk was stuck shut and it had finally rusted to the point where the latch just broke off. The best I can tell I have an Earth Wind and Fire, Lionel Richie, and some other R&B tape.

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Another side note: The 8-Track player is one of two times where I fucked up really badly while I was working on the car. I had it all put together (when I shot the demo of it running) and was ready to put the face plate back on. I went to install the face plate.... and it would not fit back on the radio. When I was rebuilding the preset section of the radio, I swapped the chrome buttons from the auto seeking radio as they were in better condition. I did not notice that the rods on the back of the buttons were bent differently and were longer than the buttons for the 8-Track radio. This meant that I had to take the entire radio completely apart again to swap the buttons over. :artshark: I actually just put that project on a shelf and left it for 6 months....

Buttons

Haha, totally
Feb 27, 2004
Burlington, Ontario
Another side note: The 8-Track player is one of two times where I fucked up really badly while I was working on the car. I had it all put together (when I shot the demo of it running) and was ready to put the face plate back on. I went to install the face plate.... and it would not fit back on the radio. When I was rebuilding the preset section of the radio, I swapped the chrome buttons from the auto seeking radio as they were in better condition. I did not notice that the rods on the back of the buttons were bent differently and were longer than the buttons for the 8-Track radio. This meant that I had to take the entire radio completely apart again to swap the buttons over. :artshark: I actually just put that project on a shelf and left it for 6 months....
What was the other time?

TripleFive

Doing Rolex bitchwork since 2013, one day Patek.
Sep 12, 2003
Carmel, IN

I know these feels too well. There are some watch models that have nearly identical parts, like you have to look at them with a 10x loupe to know for sure, and if you get them swapped you have to completely tear down the movement again disturbing all your oils to correct it. The last time I did that I got up said nothing to my co-workers and went out for a two hour lunch. lol

That clean radio is SO satisfying. It reminds me of the time I considered mechanically restoring a 100 year old typewriter. I decided I didn't have it in me. Great work.

Shit like this is my everyday, only on a much smaller scale. I actually wouldn't mind fucking around with a typewriter, wonder if there is side money to be made there.

TS
TS
jelloslug

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Are you a mechanic/engineer/etc. by trade?

also, I will buy this car off you when you get tired of it and want a new project. The level of attention to detail you have is awesome. Love the careful craftsmanship without going overboard perfectly original/etc.
I'm an engineer. I do like things to be perfect but this will never be some 100 point concours car. I would not really want something like that anyway since you could never use it at all.

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
This car is from the era when Cadillac started using the flexible plastic fillers with the 5 MPH bumpers. As most of you know, those plastic parts rotted off the car after about 10 years leaving the bumpers hanging out in the air. This car is no exception to that and needed all of the fillers replaced. NOS fillers are few and far between, plus there is a great chance that they will just fall apart in no time. There are several companies that make reproductions out of fiberglass or ABS but frankly, they are crap. They don't fit very well and many of them are not even close to being the correct part. This leaves me with either making due with the crappy parts or making my own fillers. I chose the latter. I started gathering what NOS parts I could find and good used (or bad used) so I could make 3D models and then print them myself. The first ones I was able to make were the ones for the headlight bucket to bumper and the front turn signal to bumper. This is the headlight filler. The gray part is NOS, the white one is printed.

View attachment 81706

View attachment 81707

View attachment 81708

View attachment 81709

View attachment 81711

I got a quart of paint mixed up and sprayed the printed filler after some light sanding and priming.

View attachment 81714

View attachment 81715

The fit was nice.

View attachment 81716

View attachment 81717

View attachment 81718
what is NOS?

and how big are those lights??? I thought those pieces were like 2 feet long, and then I see that it's just trim under the lights?

Reactions: jelloslug

Chente

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Great work man. I can’t believe you rebuilt that 8-track. I really like the front seat/console upgrades, I’m trying to find a tilt-away column for my Ford Galaxie. It seems just as hard to find as that front seat setup.

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
I'm an engineer. I do like things to be perfect but this will never be some 100 point concours car. I would not really want something like that anyway since you could never use it at all.
one of my friends works at a shop adjacent to a place that does Concours restorations. I got a tour with one of the guys who works there, doing the upholstery. It was pretty stunning. It's not that big, but they had 50+ year old machines to do some of the original upholstery, since they don't make those styles any more. It was really cool.

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs
Side note: The only 8-Tracks I have I found in the trunk of a car in the classic car junk yard I go to. They were in the trunk of a Coupe deVille that the trunk was stuck shut and it had finally rusted to the point where the latch just broke off. The best I can tell I have an Earth Wind and Fire, Lionel Richie, and some other R&B tape.

Man rebuilds entire car.

I skim through pics but then read 8track post twice. :o

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
I love that you're not afraid to make small changes through the different years or models. Like with the seats. You can definitely tell you're building the car for you which is the way to go. Can't wait to see more. I'm glad you waited to post until you were so far into the project. It's awesome getting such frequent updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448