This Twitter thread about Ricky Williams is pretty cool

Mass

Jan 11, 2004
Random Ricky Williams story here: me and some car guys use to hang out at this car shop and Ricky Williams mom was bringing in her 360 to have it looked at because it was having suspension issues. So from the street we see a bright yellow 360 pull in and this lady hits every speed bump doing 15mph at least, barley touching the brakes and you can just hear the car scraping over every one. The wheels were all bent to hell, the front lip was cracked and missing. Car was beat to shit.

hoody

OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
Wasn't he the fool who signed the worst NFL contract ever? All incentive based and the only way he was gonna get paid would have been if he broke all the rushing records essentially :rofl:

edit - yup

In 1999, running back Ricky Williams signed a rookie contract with the New Orleans Saints in a deal often called the worst for any player in NFL history. Williams, who was the fifth draft pick overall, agreed to a large signing bonus and a minimum salary. The total contract value — driven by ambitious performance incentives — was reported as being worth up to $68 million. As Williams put it at the time:

“I decided to go with the big bonus on the front end, and the rest I have to work for. With this contract I’m going to be making great money if I’m playing well enough.”
Williams never lived up to the hype of his contract. He was traded from New Orleans to Miami in 2002, and although he rushed for over 10,000 yards during his career — one of only 29 players to do so — he had only one Pro Bowl season, in 2002. He retired in 2004, due in part to a failed test for marijuana, returned in 2005, missed the entire 2006 season for another marijuana violation, and retired for good before the 2012 season.

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Dude quit the NFL so he could smoke weed, that's bonkers lol
Playing in the nfl, especially as a running back, means destroying your body and likely your mind in exchange for a bit of money. I respect the hell out of this dude for turning that down to live how own life the way he wanted.

T_Dawgg

Escape Goat
May 6, 2001
vancity
Playing in the nfl, especially as a running back, means destroying your body and likely your mind in exchange for a bit of money. I respect the hell out of this dude for turning that down to live how own life the way he wanted.
He left 10's of millions on the table, that's more than a bit of money, i respect him for choosing his own path as well but let's not get it twisted

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Wasn't he the fool who signed the worst NFL contract ever? All incentive based and the only way he was gonna get paid would have been if he broke all the rushing records essentially :rofl:

edit - yup

In 1999, running back Ricky Williams signed a rookie contract with the New Orleans Saints in a deal often called the worst for any player in NFL history. Williams, who was the fifth draft pick overall, agreed to a large signing bonus and a minimum salary. The total contract value — driven by ambitious performance incentives — was reported as being worth up to $68 million. As Williams put it at the time:

Williams never lived up to the hype of his contract. He was traded from New Orleans to Miami in 2002, and although he rushed for over 10,000 yards during his career — one of only 29 players to do so — he had only one Pro Bowl season, in 2002. He retired in 2004, due in part to a failed test for marijuana, returned in 2005, missed the entire 2006 season for another marijuana violation, and retired for good before the 2012 season.
Link to your nfl rookie contract?

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
You gotta watch the 30 for 30 special on him called "RUN RICKY RUN." He filmed himself during this stoned out period. He was out of it. It's really good and gives you a great idea as to where his mind was at during this period.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026