This will end up polarizing..but I have a question..

TS
TS
michael

michael

Your Brother *is* Christ
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
I don't trust any government entity to do as they should even half of the time. Not a single one.

There's no argument from me that your rights were violated, here or previously. My concern was about your time and maybe potential blowback.

Since it's not a huge impact on your time, especially during family time/the holidays, then yeah, go for it.
and if the fear is a further violation of my rights (banning me from public places..), don't you think that should be all the more reason to fight for the rights in the first place?

Rownan

SHIFT
Mar 16, 2000
Highland, MI
I get that you feel your rights were infringed upon and maybe that's all that you care about.. but coming from someone who would be attending this event I'd feel safer knowing they blocked everyone (with metal detectors) from carrying firearms into the building, rather than picking and choosing who does and who doesn't keep their weapon. I mean, obviously you took it in there for safety. Isn't it safest if no one has a gun? I guess it depends on your level of fear/paranoia.. In which case maybe walking around having the power to kill people at any time isn't the best idea.

TS
TS
michael

michael

Your Brother *is* Christ
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
IMO @michael is the kind of person the public should WANT to have a gun. He’s not going in to a play to settle a beef with someone. He’s a responsible citizen and firearm owner. That should not be be mocked and ridiculed.
Literally searched before I went (found the thread that @Slimmy posted: https://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/threads/broward-center.93105/), read that, confirmed that people weren't given an issue (when the thread was made in 2017).

Then I pulled a security guard aside quietly to ask. When he told me, I didn't argue. I asked for a police officer. Then the head of security came. I explaind it to him. He "im an ex-cop"'d me. So I put it away.

Anyone saying I'm a karen in here is deluded and just playing OT-debate-monger.

TS
TS
michael

michael

Your Brother *is* Christ
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
I get that you feel your rights were infringed upon and maybe that's all that you care about.. but coming from someone who would be attending this event I'd feel safer knowing they blocked everyone (with metal detectors) from carrying firearms into the building, rather than picking and choosing who does and who doesn't keep their weapon. I mean, obviously you took it in there for safety. Isn't it safest if no one has a gun? I guess it depends on your level of fear/paranoia.. In which case maybe walking around having the power to kill people at any time isn't the best idea.
No one is picking and choosing. If your'e licensed by the state, you can carry. if you're not, you can't. It's not some sort of subjective whim that they're going on.

Reactions: Chuck Finley

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

oh boy collect your clowns. that's an entirely different argument. point here is FL law says no banning guns from facilities like this. and this facility banned them. we can't just ignore laws on the books.

Mighty

Rainbows, unicorns, and butterflies.
OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
CPL holders are far more law-abiding than the average citizen. At least, it was true when I used to carry. I wouldn’t be concerned about anybody who is legally allowed to carry.

Slimmy

Yep.
Mar 14, 2000
Ft. Lauderdale
Literally searched before I went (found the thread that @Slimmy posted: https://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com/threads/broward-center.93105/), read that, confirmed that people weren't given an issue (when the thread was made in 2017).

Then I pulled a security guard aside quietly to ask. When he told me, I didn't argue. I asked for a police officer. Then the head of security came. I explaind it to him. He "im an ex-cop"'d me. So I put it away.

Anyone saying I'm a karen in here is deluded and just playing OT-debate-monger.
Think you did the right thing at the time not pushing it, but you definitely could have asked to see an active police officer to verify your rights, at least according to that thread and the law. It’s not surprising that private security would try to push their own rules and hope the public isn’t informed on the statutes.

You have the means and knowledge to push back legally, and could probably get additional assistance from that Florida Carry group if you wanted, so get after it.

I’d make sure you include the County and that little Performing Arts ”Board”.

TS
TS
michael

michael

Your Brother *is* Christ
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
Think you did the right thing at the time not pushing it, but you definitely could have asked to see an active police officer to verify your rights, at least according to that thread and the law. It’s not surprising that private security would try to push their own rules and hope the public isn’t informed on the statutes.

You have the means and knowledge to push back legally, and could probably get additional assistance from that Florida Carry group if you wanted, so get after it.

I’d make sure you include the County and that little Performing Arts ”Board”.
can you stop perpetuating this.. it wasn't private security. smh.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman