This will end up polarizing..but I have a question..

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
So I took my daughter and my mom to see Hamilton today at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. This is a very nice performing arts center; owned by Broward County, and operated by Performing Arts Center Authority -- an intergovernmental organization which was created by the Florida Legislature as a special district.

I noticed metal detectors and security with wands, so I pulled one aside and told him I was carrying. He told me I wasn't going in with it. I asked to speak with a police officer. The head of security, who informed me was an ex-police officer (huge surprise), told me I'm not bringing it in. I told him that this was a County facility and it's against the law to deny me access when I have license to carry concealed. He said he didn't care and I wasn't going in with it. Then he said "we serve alcohol". Ok..but this isn't a bar. (I'll explain below).

I left my mom and daughter there, walked all the way back to the car, dropped off the gun, walked back. Wasted 25 minutes, which sucked bc I bought upgraded club level seats so there was food, drinks, etc. The higher-end experience I paid for got wasted by someone violating my rights and completely disregarding law.

Florida law pre-empts any County, City, Town, Municipality firearms laws and declares them null and void. The Florida law is all that matters, and it has a list of banned places to conceal. A performing arts center, or anything like it, is not on the list -- it's actually a pretty short list. Specifically, related to the alcohol, "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"

There's a civil penalty for violating the preemption law, so I can sue the county for violating my rights. I get why it looks petty (to very anti-gun people), but honestly it's on the principle of violating my right, whatever the right is -- fuck you local government, you're not going to violate my law just because you want to flex on me.

No poll because that makes it more polarizing. Discuss.

ibTLDR
ibSorryCongrats.jpg
FL concealed holder here... I agree I think the alcohol excuse is weak because you can go to a restaurant that serves alcohol. I would say the serving of alcohol is not the "primary purpose" of this place, unless they have a bar area that could be a grey area to avoid. I re-reviewed the list and don't see anything they can hang their hat on: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

Contact an attorney and see what they have to say. Did you get the names of the people who refused you entry? I would take taken pictures and a video of them refusing you entry.

TopGun113

Aug 7, 2001
FL concealed holder here... I agree I think the alcohol excuse is weak because you can go to a restaurant that serves alcohol. I would say the serving of alcohol is not the "primary purpose" of this place, unless they have a bar area that could be a grey area to avoid. I re-reviewed the list and don't see anything they can hang their hat on: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

Contact an attorney and see what they have to say. Did you get the names of the people who refused you entry? I would take taken pictures and a video of them refusing you entry.
362B3AA1-127A-420D-9D4D-FC656CE48A33.gif

HoodRich

Professional Street Nigga
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
The City

michael is the attorney

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
If you dont want to go a legal route that might end up in the guard's termination, can you attend a local city council meeting and lodge a complaint there?

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
I wouldn't actually want him to lose his job tho tbh

losing the job is harsh but some consequence would be necessary. we as a society seem to be going down this path of 'only what I choose to believe applies to me' emboldened by our leaders and how media portrays them. I'm not for guns and normally would cheer the situation if this was some random article about an assumed gun nut being shut down, but if people on both sides of the debate don't follow our own laws (even when it grants a freedom we don't personally believe in) then what the fuck are we doing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman