Thom Thillis pushing proposal that makes unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material a felony

Souppishdawg

Jun 21, 2013
San Diego, CA

This time around, one of the measures being crammed into the omnibus is a proposal from Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) to turn unauthorized commercial streaming of copyrighted material like an album on YouTube, a video clip on Twitch, or a song in an Instagram story into a felony offense with a possible prison sentence rather than a misdemeanor, according to Protocol. The text of the measure has not been publicly released yet, but it is expected to be broadly similar to past entertainment industry-backed attempts to criminalize unauthorized streaming, such as the provisions of the SOPA/PIPA bills in 2012 that sparked an unprecedented internet “blackout” protest or the Commercial Felony Streaming Act, which prompted Justin Bieber to say that its sponsor, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), should be “locked up.”

Fifafever

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
San Diego
no one asked for this
these guys did
ZDJQKU2.png

politicians are the best investment a corporation can make

bubbaZR2

i poop too much, then i get tired...
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
New Mexico
The first fucking thing they did in 2017 was make it legal for telecoms to sell our personal information. :mad:

Last edited:

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
everyone screeching about republicans didn't read this far, "SOPA/PIPA bills in 2012 that sparked an unprecedented internet “blackout” protest or the Commercial Felony Streaming Act, which prompted Justin Bieber to say that its sponsor, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), should be “locked up.”

• Haha
Reactions: haze

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman