GUN Those Who Carry - Do your Friends and Family know?

SmugZombie

Aug 2, 2006
Purgatory
Obviously this would generally only be a question for those who conceal...

I only ask, because I want to know what you guys do/say to avoid situations like - drinking and carrying when your friends invite you out and you might not have your car or something to store your weapon. Going to family events - carrying or not?

My brother, his wife, and 3 co workers know I carry... Thats all.. I never carry when i visit large groups of family, mainly because they all drink and might think it suspicious that i wont. and also we are a family that hugs as part of a greeting/salutation.

Who knows you carry? Do you have stubborn friends who think you are stupid/odd for wanting to carry? Do you ever not carry just to avoid alerting family/friends?

Sailor Jerry

Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach
I carry everywhere. I'll even drink when I carry, but if I plan on getting flat-out hammered I'll leave it in my truck or at home.

I've got 4ish friends that know, plus my cousin and my parents, but I sometimes wish one of my friends didn't :o He thinks it's kind of strange, and likes to blab about it sometimes.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
my family knows, my friends who are also into weapons know, my coworkers have no damn idea and it's gonna stay that way.

NetChemica

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
That and I carry this on the outside of my jacket every time.

VCIXW.jpg

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
My wife, my kids, several of my coworkers (because they carry as well), and a few friends know.

I will have one beer with dinner or something while carrying, and if necessary I'll nurse a beer all night long, but I don't leave my gun just because I'm concerned what someone will think.

tan koi

Family and friends know about my firearms but I have never discussed carrying with any of them.

Bryan

OT Supporter
May 5, 2002
Houston
Are there occasions where you dont carry to avoid friends or family finding out? Or are they understandable to the point where if they did find out, they would be ok with it?

Not really. If they did find out my friends and family would likely have expected it, I simply have never told them and confirmed it.

BROKE

Mr. Selfdestruct
OT Supporter
Nov 17, 2004
Austin,Tx
My wife, my kids, several of my coworkers (because they carry as well), and a few friends know.

I will have one beer with dinner or something while carrying, and if necessary I'll nurse a beer all night long, but I don't leave my gun just because I'm concerned what someone will think.

even one beer constitutes a felony right?

BROKE

Mr. Selfdestruct
OT Supporter
Nov 17, 2004
Austin,Tx
i heard it both ways, 0 tolerance on BAC when carrying, and as long as its not over .08 or they think you are impaired. I dont really drin kthough so its never been a concern

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
Everyone in my family and my wife's family know and they don't really ask about it. All my coworkers and friends know. But then again, you're only the oddball if you don't have a CWP here. :cool:

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
I think if you are carrying you should tell your family. Last thing I want if I have to draw my weapon is my wife standing there asking "what the hell are you doing?!?". Ive discussed this with my wife and kids... if I draw my weapon, they should hit the ground or try to get to a safe location immediately. Don't ask questions, don't think, just get down.

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
even one beer constitutes a felony right?

According to the Texas Penal Code, it is unlawful for an individual who is intoxicated to carry a handgun. It is important to note that the Penal Code defines “intoxicated” as not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance in the body. Additionally, the Penal Code considers having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher to constitute intoxication.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlfaqs.htm

TS
TS

SmugZombie

Aug 2, 2006
Purgatory
Everyone in my family and my wife's family know and they don't really ask about it. All my coworkers and friends know. But then again, you're only the oddball if you don't have a CWP here. :cool:

I has one - Mailed the paperwork in last monday, got the card friday :wiggle:

EDIT: or did you mean the badge?

TS
TS

SmugZombie

Aug 2, 2006
Purgatory
I think if you are carrying you should tell your family. Last thing I want if I have to draw my weapon is my wife standing there asking "what the hell are you doing?!?". Ive discussed this with my wife and kids... if I draw my weapon, they should hit the ground or try to get to a safe location immediately. Don't ask questions, don't think, just get down.

Great point...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor