Thoughts on charging for the Covid vaccine?

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
Why would people take monetary risks and work their assess off for free? Should our phones and cars be free? I'm in favor of mechanisms for most of us to pay via insurance some cost for the vaccine and for poor people to receive the vaccine subsidized at no cost to them but overall we should pay for the vaccine as a society.

• Love
Reactions: Pogi and Junkie
TS
TS
NiggaPHX420

NiggaPHX420

OT Supporter
Jan 17, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Why would people take monetary risks and work their assess off for free? Should our phones and cars be free? I'm in favor of mechanisms for most of us to pay via insurance some cost for the vaccine and for poor people to receive the vaccine subsidized at no cost to them but overall we should pay for the vaccine as a society.
Meh

I pay enough taxes, I'd like the occasional freebie.

I'm simply suggesting that since everyone hates pharma, maybe one of these dudes should hand that shit out for free and give themselves a good name for a little while

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
Ok so Pfizer got 2 billion for Covid vaccine. Looks like us didn't give any to Maderna..so Maderna charging for it I don't see an issue.

If Pfizer tries to charge then that would be a problem

Do it To it

Only thing I hate more than kids is an empty glass
OT Supporter
Mar 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Meh

I pay enough taxes, I'd like the occasional freebie.

I'm simply suggesting that since everyone hates pharma, maybe one of these dudes should hand that shit out for free and give themselves a good name for a little while
Good marketing is good for the the future of a company

Spending tens of billions of dollars on research n development n testing n manufacturing n distribution and then giving it away for free is not so good for the books iirc

Reactions: michael

oftenly

ae iirc
Sep 26, 2009
Covid has been the most calamitous society-disrupting event since WWII. Literally every living person benefits from it being eradicated. Putting a price on the vaccine is simply one more obstacle nobody needs. Having it be free (read: entirely gov't subsidized) is a no-brainer.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
oh yay.

healthcare should be taxpayer funded. no health anything should be for profit.

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
oh yay.

healthcare should be taxpayer funded. no health anything should be for profit.

That model would not likely deliver quality products for any other industry. Would you want a nonprofit model for your next phone? If you look at the universal healthcare models for countries in Europe the one that works the best is Switzerland where they have only private insurance and the poor get subsidized care.

Reactions: Pogi

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
That model would not likely deliver quality products for any other industry. Would you want a nonprofit model for your next phone? If you look at the universal healthcare models for countries in Europe the one that works the best is Switzerland where they have only private insurance and the poor get subsidized care.

Govt funded research and dev for the IP. private industry manufacturing and distro at fixed profit margins. the end.

I do agree a model that could work is teh swiss/aussie model. of basic health care for all and private on top for better care. I'd be ok with that honestly. I dont want ER visits causing people to go bankrupt. but if you're worth 50b maybe you get better doctors than bob the plumber. its a balanced solution to stepping stone us to mars healthcare.

Reactions: GBlansten

calisteph6

May 5, 2005
KRAPROOM
R&D is crazy expensive and these are for profit businesses so of course they should charge. The government should foot the bill for citizens if they want compliance tho.

GBlansten

OT's Kidney Doc
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
Thick Ascending Limb
Govt funded research and dev for the IP. private industry manufacturing and distro at fixed profit margins. the end.

I do agree a model that could work is teh swiss/aussie model. of basic health care for all and private on top for better care. I'd be ok with that honestly. I dont want ER visits causing people to go bankrupt. but if you're worth 50b maybe you get better doctors than bob the plumber. its a balanced solution to stepping stone us to mars healthcare.
The way to move forward right now is value based healthcare with the emphasis on population management. That might deliver both incentives for great care and reduced costs.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
The way to move forward right now is value based healthcare with the emphasis on population management. That might deliver both incentives for great care and reduced costs.

Value based. not shareholder based. I agree.

population management... you mean govt funded planned parenthood?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman