Thoughts on Left 4 Dead?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gnu, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gnu

gnu OT Supporter

Fun? Im thinking about picking it up for the 360

2. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Yeah its good. I tend to stick to versus mode when I play as most of the randoms in campaign are fucking retarded.

3. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

The second is out in the coming months too

4. henroid

henroid dayum

I've played it on both 360 and pc and if you have a pc that can run it decently, definitely get it for pc. 360 version chugs a bit and you can't do much about it

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Fun but gets repetitive/boring real quick. Minus whale wait a couple of months and just get Left 4 Dead 2.

6. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

Ill sell you mine for $25

7. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

worst $30 i ever spent, played it like 4 times haven't played since

8. gnu

gnu OT Supporter

i think im gonna rent it first, i dont really like playing coop with another person becasue it makes the screen smaller so ill be playing with the AI

9. gnu

gnu OT Supporter

can you play with random people?

10. gnu

gnu OT Supporter

hmm sounds like fun

11. gnu

gnu OT Supporter

hahaa sounds like nazi zombies in COD 5, people seem to like to do these glitches over and over agian

12. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

Fantastic game. You should get it. I wouldn't pay full price for it at this point though since the sequel is coming out in a few months.

13. Mr Niggz

Mr Niggz New Member

:werd: only I spent $60 :o

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

A. gets old and repetitive very quickly

B. Co-op is fun if you are playing with friends

C. Co-op is junk when playing with Random people because some are completely retarded or want to use silly strategies to avoid having to fight your way thru the game as intended, takes away the point of fighting hordes of zombies if you take shortcuts to make it simple.

D. with the difficulty level all the way up and people you know to go co op with you it's pretty fun at least for awhile

15. HotSauce0034

HotSauce0034 Cowboys Crew : Xbox Live GT & PSN GT = Levati

PICK IT UP FOR THE PC

/thread

16. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

If you do this wait for a sale though. Steam has $20 weekends for games like L4D sometimes. I already have it for 360, but I'm gonna pick it up for Steam next time it's on sale. :mamoru:

17. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

I've played it almost everynight since february, i don't find it boring or repetitive. Great fucking game, even when i curse at some of the bugs or stupid noobs.

18. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

if you have the op to get it for psc get it for that.

19. OneTwo

OneTwo me>you OT Supporter

great game, you will enjoy all 3 hours of it.

20. HotSauce0034

HotSauce0034 Cowboys Crew : Xbox Live GT & PSN GT = Levati

you're doing it wrong.

21. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

wait a few months and get the second one.

22. Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver Active Member

fun for like two weeks
    would not recommend

23. NeonImpact

NeonImpact New Member

To a new player, the best way to identify this game is describe it as the Zombie Hordes Mod for HL2, with extra-fast zombies that are able to climb walls, ambush, even pull you into the darkness and rip chunks out of you. Then throw in a vastly improved HL2 engine, with teamwork mechanics. And you have L4D.

There is a co-op mode and a versus mode. The versus mode is quite fun with the co-op being a right blast with a group of friends. Even strangers are forced to co-operate to survive. It is an adrenaline rush to be ambushed by thirty zombies sprinting from the darkness and taking out chunks of your squads chests. Blood and gore is the order of the day with loads of claret sprayed over every wall and into every cavity, be it the architecture or a person. Players who are badly wounded require a teammate to get back on their feet but can continue to defend themselves with a pistol.

The game doesn’t take long to complete in co-op but the variation and laughs every minute will keep you going for some time before you get bored. The way it plays is unpredictable as zombies are randomly scattered and the hordes of running zombies appear out of nowhere and at little or no warning. The game will challenge every player in the higher difficulty settings and you will breathe a sign of relief when you see a safehouse, the room in which you will move to the next level. Here you will re-stock all your supplies and take a breather from the action before opening the cell door and moving on.

Players will work as a team as without a full team of four the stages are much harder to complete. Team members will compete against each other to kill the most zombies or cause the most damage, this is displayed after each level along with who took the least damage as well as other stats. This is a clever way of promoting teamwork. As well as this players can get knocked down instantly by Hunter zombies and friends have to rescue them. Boomers, fat lumbering zombies, attract hordes of the undead – the player who gets hit by a Boomer attracts huge parties of the undead sprinting to his position, requiring the team to get together and blow them away. This is all great fun and separates L4D from the more traditional deathmatch modes of other games. Teams can also redistribute health packs if one of the players gets hurt badly.

One criticism I can give is that trigger-happy players are never punished or made to feel what their own incompetence has on the team. Players whom run into a dangerous environment shooting everything in their path are usually top of the scoreboard but are never made to feel being incapacitated for the fourth time that level is a bad thing. It would be nice to have them die and sit out the rest of the level on their third knockdown and watch their team struggle. Also the co-op is very forgiving of mistakes, if the entire team die they simply restart from the last checkpoint. This makes seeing the later stages L4D rather insignificant whereas a team who gets to experience the climax should feel they deserve it.

The graphics look fantastic but what game doesn’t these days? You can’t help but feel the Source engine is getting dated now, there are no complaints on the visual presentation though as the art direction is superb with ultra-high textures and lighting. It’s no Crysis though. And the use of audio is spot on, the five or so guns on offer feel like they’re really making full impact, with the presence of zombies always felt through the use of sound.

L4D is a superb game which is ideal for anyone who’s been indulging in the many great single player games on offer this year. Whether you’re looking for a quick ten minute blast or an all-night venture throughout the entire game, L4D works very well for both. I can’t help but feel the price tag is a little steep for a game which feels like a glorified mod, but you’ll be having a lot of fun with this for the time you spend with it.

Cliffs: I enjoyed it. Just haven't picked it up in a few weeks. ;)

24. Clancer

Clancer Active Member

Its badass. I still play with a group of otters almost every night. Those that say it sucks or gets boring are doing something wrong, or have it for 360.

Despite this, Im not excited at all about L4D 2 since the whole thing is DLC material.

25. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Quick: Was fun for a while but bores me now. Valve is lame, instead of new levels, weapons, or campaigns we get boned in the ass and gotta pay 50 for l4d2 instead. All we got was some small new thing called survival mode on the same campaigns. Fuck that. We havent even got a real l4d editor yet.