GUN Thoughts on this package deal for my dads first handgun?

shitsweak

Oct 31, 2009
Chlt. NC
My dad picked up his CCL about 2 weeks ago, he picked up a Maverick 88 last week and he mentioned that he might want to get a handgun next week.

He practically has zero experience shooting anything other than a muzzle loader rifle. I don't know much about Sig Sauer handguns except that most of them are really expensive so when I saw this price it has me wondering a little. Would this be a good starter pistol? I'm pretty sure this won't be his CC btw.

MUTE YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE CLICKING LINK auto play warning.

http://www.shootersexpress.com/

Thanks

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
I'm trying to talk him out of buying a Ruger SR9.
ruger lc9

the sig package in your link is meh, i hate package deals with pistol cases and shit couple boxes of ammo (not the ammo i prefer anyway) yeah i can live without that shit.

Last edited:
TS
TS
shitsweak

shitsweak

Oct 31, 2009
Chlt. NC
ruger lc9

the sig package in your link is meh, i hate package deals with pistol cases and shit couple boxes of ammo (not the ammo i prefer anyway) yeah i can live without that shit.

I didn't think about the LC9, I'll have to mention that to him.

I know but like I said earlier he has nothing to start with, I thought the package deal would be a good starting point. What about that gun in general? Most of the Sigs I've looked at were always $700-800.00 Why is that one so much cheaper?

I've already told him several times to stick with Glock, Springfield, S&W or the Sig in the link. Even if he has to buy something used.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
S&W revolver (642,442)
glock 26,19,30
ruger lcp lc9

i'd go any of the above (and several others i didn't list) before the deal in the link provided, just my opinion though

TS
TS
shitsweak

shitsweak

Oct 31, 2009
Chlt. NC
S&W revolver (642,442)
glock 26,19,30
ruger lcp lc9

i'd go any of the above (and several others i didn't list) before the deal in the link provided, just my opinion though

I'm not sure how he feels about revolvers but I'll mention those to him.

He knows I'm a fan of Glock(I had a 17 as my first handgun it felt good until I held my XD, I sold the Glock and bought a XD, I don't hate Glocks but they just don't feel as good in my hand as my XD...to each their own)

What is the deal with that Sig? Can anyone tell me why its so much cheaper than other Sigs that I've seen?

Thanks for the beta everyone.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
not sure but i'd guess it's cheaper than the 229 because it's polymer like a glock etc

it would be a good gun i like sig's but i prefer the glock but some people don't like grip angle etc of the glock to each their own

(ps, if ya go glock find a 3rd gen, i'm not in love with this 4th gen bullshit :( )

polymer is usually a cheaper option than steel etc

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
I still don't understand why anyone would want a DA/SA gun. :hs:

I shot my buddies HK last weekend and the retarded long take-up was impossible to get used to. Not to mention how heavy the trigger is even in SA.

HSTexan

Feb 25, 2008
MS

Because not everyone thinks like you...and of course you won't get used to it in a day...practice with it and shoot it a lot and yes you will get used to it

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
Because not everyone thinks like you...and of course you won't get used to it in a day...practice with it and shoot it a lot and yes you will get used to it

But why deal with it? When is a mile of take-up and a heavy trigger pull an advantage?

Just curious... :hs:

BimmerJustin

Why would you deny yourself something you want?
Dec 31, 2000
Fantasyland

I shot my buddies HK last weekend and the retarded long take-up was impossible to get used to. Not to mention how heavy the trigger is even in SA.

long DA pull for safety with the option of having a light SA pull.

BLH

Jan 15, 2006
KS
Buy a Glock. Cheap, parts/accessories are everywhere and they work.

Don't buy a J-frame or other small carry piece, they aren't that comfortable to shoot. A G19 will be nice to shoot, hence he will shoot more.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
Buy a Glock. Cheap, parts/accessories are everywhere and they work.

Don't buy a J-frame or other small carry piece, they aren't that comfortable to shoot. A G19 will be nice to shoot, hence he will shoot more.
fun range gun isn't the main objective for a dependable small light carry piece

i love my G26 but i love carrying my jframe as well

BLH

Jan 15, 2006
KS
fun range gun isn't the main objective for a dependable small light carry piece

i love my G26 but i love carrying my jframe as well

I carry a G26 or a 442, but since the person has virtually zero experience with a handgun and plans on carrying you can easily carry a 26 or 19 and still take classes to get your proficiency up. One can carry, shoot classes, idpa, etc all with the same gun and learn how to use it well. Sure, you could do that with a j-frame, but its not going to happen.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
I carry a G26 or a 442, but since the person has virtually zero experience with a handgun and plans on carrying you can easily carry a 26 or 19 and still take classes to get your proficiency up. One can carry, shoot classes, idpa, etc all with the same gun and learn how to use it well. Sure, you could do that with a j-frame, but its not going to happen.

True enough

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
What is the deal with that Sig? Can anyone tell me why its so much cheaper than other Sigs that I've seen?
If it's good enough for Jason Bourne, it's good enough for anyone.

Seriously though, Glock 19 is a great first gun. Simple to operate, combat accurate, reliable as a rock.

TS
TS
shitsweak

shitsweak

Oct 31, 2009
Chlt. NC
If it's good enough for Jason Bourne, it's good enough for anyone.

Seriously though, Glock 19 is a great first gun. Simple to operate, combat accurate, reliable as a rock.

I hear ya man. I think we're going to the range to rent a few guns Wednesday and see which one he is most comfortable with shooting.

I don't care what kind of gun he ends up with as long as its reliable and if feels good in his hand, I'm cool with it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan