SRS Thoughts on this situation. Regarding Alcohol and dinner and an alcoholic.

DeezNortz

THE MEATLOAF! WE WANT IT NOW!!!
OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
Respect the tag as i'm actually looking for actual opinions on the situation.

My dad is getting married in 2 weeks (that's another thread.).

It's a tiny ceremony with a total of 10 people. after the ceremony we are all going out to dinner at a very nice place.

My fathers new wife's brother is a gigantic DB that's ive had the pleasure of meeting a few times. Reminds me of a real life Ron Burgundy (but not cool).

Apparently he's an alcoholic. And i'm told because of him the dinner must be dry. 0 wine. 0 booze at all. Not that my wife and I need to drink...but a glass of wine with a nice dinner is always a nice thing. And it sucks a little more because i don't think my wife and I have been to a restaurant together in 2020. but that's no one's problem but ours.

Not that anything will come of this...but i'm toying with how i feel about the rule. Seems a little stupid.

He's in his 50's. He's a grown up. Should my wife and I have to skip a glass of wine with dinner because of him? or am i being selfish for feeling this way?

doesn't really matter. i'm not going to say anything and this is far from a situation i'd look for conflict over...but something about it seems dumb to me.

BlasterMaster

Oct 31, 2007
DFW
If it was your wedding it would be a different story, but since it’s your dad’s then you should probably just tough it out and not cause unnecessary drama

TS
TS
DeezNortz

DeezNortz

OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
If it was your wedding it would be a different story, but since it’s your dad’s then you should probably just tough it out and not cause unnecessary drama

we're presenting no drama. no arguments. we'll go to dinner and have water. was just looking for opinions.

TS
TS
DeezNortz

DeezNortz

OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
Who told you it needs to be dry? If this isn't a request from the sober person I cannot imagine him being comfortable with going to a place where he knows some one ELSE made a choice for him.
also a fair point. i think the new wife said it has to be because of him. not sure. he mentioned it to me today. not a big deal.

TS
TS
DeezNortz

DeezNortz

OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
his wedding his rules. suck it up butter cup.

just go to the bathroom and take a swing from your flask.
i don't need alcohol in that sort of way. I just like a glass of red with a steak here and there.

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
You'll survive if you don't have a glass of wine.
He quite literally might not survive if he falls off the wagon.
So, yeah.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Respect the tag as i'm actually looking for actual opinions on the situation.

My dad is getting married in 2 weeks (that's another thread.).

It's a tiny ceremony with a total of 10 people. after the ceremony we are all going out to dinner at a very nice place.

My fathers new wife's brother is a gigantic DB that's ive had the pleasure of meeting a few times. Reminds me of a real life Ron Burgundy (but not cool).

Apparently he's an alcoholic. And i'm told because of him the dinner must be dry. 0 wine. 0 booze at all. Not that my wife and I need to drink...but a glass of wine with a nice dinner is always a nice thing. And it sucks a little more because i don't think my wife and I have been to a restaurant together in 2020. but that's no one's problem but ours.

Not that anything will come of this...but i'm toying with how i feel about the rule. Seems a little stupid.

He's in his 50's. He's a grown up. Should my wife and I have to skip a glass of wine with dinner because of him? or am i being selfish for feeling this way?

doesn't really matter. i'm not going to say anything and this is far from a situation i'd look for conflict over...but something about it seems dumb to me.
Your wedding = your call
Someone else's wedding = their call

On a personal note.
I was in a 14 person wedding in October with 2 people who didn't drink and the bride just made sure and told the servers who didn't get served booze and to take the wine/champagne glasses away and not to serve them.

So there are ways of handling it but yeah not your call.

Reactions: Capt. Hammer

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
If you're that much of an alcoholic, take a flask of wine with you and recuse yourself to the bathroom every few minutes. Problem solved.

Reactions: royocold

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor