ART thx to fryingpan v.inspiration

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX
i know this could've gone in the 'share some' thread, but i wanted to give concept credit where due & not bury it on page 411 :wavey:

i had an assignment for a beginner-level photo class — b&w digital prints of 8 assigned formal elements — so i did this for 'space' after recalling his manhattan shot from a while back:

4.jpg

TS
TS
yaygrr

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX
Too far away. :o

we had to keep original ratio for some reason & when i tried it cropped at downtown width, (a) it was kinda grainy after adjusting color levels in b&w mix in lr3 & (b) it didn't effectively convey the sense of space that i was looking for because of the clouds rolling in from the seabreeze that afternoon being right over the buildings... but i agree, it probably would've been better to shoot on a clearer day/time & crop in more

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
wait... I just realized thats Houston! :eek3:

where the fuck did you take that picture at?

TS
TS
yaygrr

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX
what were you doing there? :squint:

after dropping my wife off to catch a flight to london for work, i figured i'd see if i could take some shots from up there for a couple of photo classes... so i had a tripod, digital, & 4x5 film camera & was up there for ~2 hours before officer barbrady came up busting my balls about not checking in with the hpd station in terminal b... told him it was an honest mistake & that i saw nothing that said that photography/plane spotting/etc was restricted, otherwise i would've gladly checked in or done what i had to do... he ran my license, etc & after everything came back clear, he lectured me then let me go...

future reference: call the hpd station at iah (281.230.6800 or 281.230.1300) before attempting to shoot in the area... give them your name, license #, vehicle year/make/model/color/plates, where you'll be, how long you'll be there, and let them know if you change location, & if your visit will be longer/shorter than you originally stated :naughty:

here's another shot i used from up there for the formal elements assignment... this one for 'line':
4.jpg

Last edited:

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
after dropping my wife off to catch a flight to london for work, i figured i'd see if i could take some shots from up there for a couple of photo classes... so i had a tripod, digital, & 4x5 film camera & was up there for ~2 hours before officer barbrady came up busting my balls about not checking in with the hpd station in terminal b... told him it was an honest mistake & that i saw nothing that said that photography/plane spotting/etc was restricted, otherwise i would've gladly checked in or done what i had to do... he ran my license, etc & after everything came back clear, he lectured me then let me go...

future reference: call the hpd station at iah (281.230.6800 or 281.230.1300) before attempting to shoot in the area... give them your name, license #, vehicle year/make/model/color/plates, where you'll be, how long you'll be there, and let them know if you change location, & if your visit will be longer/shorter than you originally stated :naughty:

here's another shot i used from up there for the formal elements assignment... this one for 'line':

They can be dicks at times. Often when they answer the phone they act like they have no idea what you are talking about. Hey jackass, I talked to YOU yesterday. I remember your voice and shithead attitude. You know exactly what I am talking about when I say "plane spotting" and "photography".

Regardless...I'm glad they "let" you shoot there. I've made some great pictures there. Well...great relative to my ability. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan