Time to try another dog food

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
Why this puppers so fussy about kibble food? :scootin:

GkjyI88.jpg

This is the order in which food attempted.

1. NutriSource chicken puppy kibble
2. Purina Pro Plan Chicken puppy kibble
3. Merrick Ancient Grains chicken puppy
4. Went back to NutriSource puppy
5. Iirc, by now about 6 months old, so tried Merrick adult Great Plain w/ freeze dried
6. Nature's Logic Distinction-Tried beef and pork options.
7. Open Farms Ancient Grain kibble-Tried beef, salmon, and now currently Lamb.

Current meals are with Open Farms product.

Breakfast is 3-4oz of Open Farms gently cooked beef + 1/2 cup of OF kibble.

Dinner is 1/2 cup OP freeze dried raw + 1/2 cup kibble.

This seems to be working out ok. The gently cooked food is enough to entice puppers eating most of the time. Will still need to crumble freeze dried of something to get started.

Don't like to leave it just out since it's perishable.

The dinner is easy. Just set it and let puppers eat whenever.

Will take the freeze dried like a treat by itself. Have to rotate that protein sometimes.

Never takes the kibble as a treat. Will walk up and sniff it and back away.

The gently cooked is expensive. So gets broken into 4 pieces and served over 4 days. The kibbles are expensive too. The kibble price isn't that big of a deal if puppers would devour it but since puppers doesn't, let's see what else we can try.

Any experience with Acana?Grabbed a couple offerings to try. Puppers was curious with the bag, so good start. The test will be if puppers accepts a single kibble as a treat imo.

TRwSS5f.jpg

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Try Blackwood Pet Puppy Food, my female GSD has a sensitive stomach and she loves this stuff. Has been keeping food down and having good poops since we switched away from merrick.

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
I picked my my dog at 10 months. It was hard to get her to eat for a while. So I took try treats she liked and broke them up into small pieces / dust and sprinkled them over her food. It worked OK, would usually get her to eat most of it but she would pick around the food for the treats.

I switched to Nulo, a couple months ago, now there is no trying to get her to eat, she loves it.

I also keep her food scoop in her treat box, not sure if it tricks her into thinking it is her treats or not but it seems to have helped.

Zimmy76

I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic
Nov 15, 2001
Wayyyy too many foods have been tried.
Agree with this, how many times has your puppy had uncontrollable shits because you keep changing his diet?

I give my dog kirkland brand senior lamb/chicken from costco, and she seems to like it. There have been a few times when she doesn't eat it, so I just pick it up and give it to her for the next meal, she will eventually get hungry enough and eat what i feed her.

TS
TS
A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
Agree with this, how many times has your puppy had uncontrollable shits because you keep changing his diet?

I give my dog kirkland brand senior lamb/chicken from costco, and she seems to like it. There have been a few times when she doesn't eat it, so I just pick it up and give it to her for the next meal, she will eventually get hungry enough and eat what i feed her.
Only time ive had to do bland diet for several days was when making the transition to Merrick's puppy. May have done it too quickly. other than that,nbo issues really.

I do notice when puppers does have a double poop, the 2nd portion will be pretty soft.

Overall, poop consistency seems to be good. Not too dry (happened with NutriSource) and firm enough imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman