SRS Tips for dealing with stress?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by verdiocchi, Aug 23, 2007.

1. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I've got a lot on my plate right now and can't seem to find the time to do all the things I need/want to be doing. Anyone have any tips on how to keep stress from mentally slowing you down?

2. RacerJ

RacerJ New Member

2 things... not sure if these will help any but why not:

1) i try to not let myself get stressed out about things (great advice i know). I've been stressed out and had some failures in my life, and i've seen that life goes on no matter what happens, so that helps keep me level-headed most of the time. One of the ways i help prevent myself from getting stressed out is by making a schedule for my days when i start to get a lot of things on my plate. When i can see everything in front of me, i feel like i have a lot more control over things which to me lowers stress levels

2) when i do get stressed out, i take a break and start doing one of my hobbies (playing guitar, playing golf, etc.) Guitar for me is a real stress reliever, so i'll take 30 minutes out of my day to just chill and play for awhile to clear my head. I figure that the 30 minutes i take out of my busy day is reasonable.. if i'm real stressed out, i'll start to procrastinate which will waste a lot more than 30 minutes.

Start itemizing things and making a schedule to do stuff, and if it still becomes overwhelming, take a breather and do something you enjoy

3. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Thanks for the response. I don't know if everyone else in here is either not stressed at all so they don't understand where I'm coming from, or they're just as stressed so they can't help either.

I'm usually very level headed about things, but after a while things build up and I just get worn out and run out of patience. I'm already very scheduled and detail oriented so there's not much else I can do to better manage my time. As for the taking breaks to do hobbies thing, I would love to! But that's part of the problem. I don't have the time to do any of the things I want to do, and several of the things I NEED to be doing are being pushed aside as well.

I would love to just take a breather and do something I enjoy, but it's not that simple when you have a boss that's really unorganized, an SO that's just as stressed, home improvements that need to be done (not including the daily stuff like laundry, dishes, taking care of the dog, etc), and you're trying to get more certifications in order to pick up a second job. I'm just ready to pull my hair out!

4. RacerJ

RacerJ New Member

you could always try crystal meth

5. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Haha yeah, I think that would probably make life a lot harder.

6. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

mod edit:No drug usage promotion please

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  7. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Again, I think that would probably end up making life a lot harder.

Serious responses would be greatly appreciate.

8. RacerJ

RacerJ New Member

i dunno man, i dont think there's a whole lot i can tell you about your situation right now. i think that after it's over, you should assess how you got into this situation and what you can do to prevent it from happening again. it sounds like it's something that you're going to have to deal with for awhile (since all the things you listed are lifestyle things), so maybe you need to take a step back and figure out what's really important in your life and whether or not you should put some things on hold while you get your life back in order

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Refuse to take part with the stress.

I know it sounds strange but if you allow life to make you go crazy instead of determining your own pace at life you will just collapse under the immense amount of pressure.

Look at a tree, look at a snail they don't do anything in life yet they live. Or in other words, there are alternative lifestyles out there, and you simply have to refuse the things that make you go crazy and settle down with a pace that you like and that you can handle.

10. Blahaboxxx

Blahaboxxx OT Supporter

exercise

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I used to work in a pressure cooker. I worked normally 60 hours a week, every single week. When it got busy, I'd work 70-80 hours and there was even a week where I pushed it to 100 hours in one week. I've lived with very high stress levels for a long time and I found a few things that really help

1) Get at least 8 hours of sleep, no exceptions. Every day....sleep helps sooo much.
    2) exercise. Even mild exercise like walking for 30 minutes a day can have a dramatic impact on your perspective.
    3) Drink lots of water...not in sodas or coffee....just water. Your body needs to be well hydrated.
    4) take a multi vitamin like Centrum. once or twice a week I would also add a high potency Bcomplex vitamin. Sometimes I'd throw in a high dosage C but a multi vitamin every day can really help.
    5) Eat well....stay away from high fat/high sugar foods. Try to eat more vegies, lean meats and other healthy foods. Also fruits can be a great help.

All of these sound like common sense or you may think meh...I need REAL help. :) Well sometimes the best solutions are simple ones. These things can really help.

I had to not only do these I also had to learn to say no. I had to start telling people I couldn't get to their work until a later date because I was simply too busy. So when I started pushing back, I found more time for the current work load.

Anyways, stress is real and it can have very devastating effects on your body. Be sure to take care of yourself cuz NOBODY else will!!!!

12. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I am dealing with stress as well, but in a different way than you. I hope all works out, I wish I had answers but my anxiety gets the best of me. Sometimes praying helps though when I voice myself to god.

13. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

As dumb as a lot of potheads come off to be, I don't think weed is that bad. Try smoking up, it helps tons with stress.

14. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

One of the many things I want to do that I don't seem to have time for :wtc:

15. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Can't, have too much to do. I've been getting about 6 though.

Don't have time for that, I've been trying. The only time I can work it in is if I get up even earlier than I already do, which seems counter productive because I need more sleep.

I never drink coffee, and have about 3-4 sodas a week if we get pizza or something. Water just doesn't go with pizza.

I take a vitamin every day

My SO and I cook together and have a salad, meat (chicken, fish, or lean pork), a veggie, and rice. I eat special K for breakfast and take fruit/carrots to work for snacks. Eating healthy is the only way I've been able to manage my weight/health since I don't have time to hit the gym.

I work for NFL team and don't really have the option to put things off. Things have to be done when they have to be done. My only way of decreasing my work stress is to get another job, which I'm considering.

Thanks for the suggestions, but there's not much that I can really change. :hs:

16. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Not for me. I've never done a drug in my life and I'm pretty positive it would only complicate things.

17. Coottie

Well you're doing exactly what I was doing. Painting myself into a corner where the only option is to quit. I realized that I was just being a chicken shit. I was more willing to leave my job then actually stand up to my bosses and say, "I NEED HELP".

Why?? Because I thought asking for help ment that I was weak and I didn't want to appear weak. It was pretty much the worst IMO.

But come on...there are always ways to change what you are doing. I used to work for an oil and gas exploration company and there are very hard deadlines in that business as well. I worked for a "No excuses" company...mean you just HAD to meat your deadlines or else you risked being fired. I get it....I really do.

However, I had to realize that if nothing was going to change until I reordered the priorities in my life. I had to move work down a notch and put my own health and welfare at the top. This ment that one this was reordered, I had to act like the reordering actually occured....in other words, if the choice was work later or go home, I went home. If the choice was work at home or go to bed, I went to bed.

I stopped allowing myself to diminish my importance in this equation. It was only when I started sticking up for myself and asking for help that things changed and new people got hired. My work load didn't change overnight but things got better the more I spoke up. Sometimes speaking up requires one to not let a boss roll over you....they usually say nope, can't hire anyone...no money. Then you simply explain that you can't get all your work done on time and things will begin to slip. Explain this as many times as necessary till they listen.

But it's up to you to make these changes. If you keep saying, "I can't because...." nothing will change. Decide to change this or not....the choice really is yours to make.

18. Blahaboxxx

Blahaboxxx OT Supporter

make time, 20 minutes to go running every couple of days isn't too tough to start out :)

19. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I learned how to deal with it real quick in college. But basically you dont let it occur. If you stay goal oriented and understand time management you can't get stressed out. Somethings in life you may have to say no too, but either way your life is what you make it. You also need to find your out in life and do it daily. You aren't a robot.

20. ninethirtyfive

ninethirtyfive New Member

Meth makes life much easier....atleast for awhile. Other than that I don't know what to suggest for stress other than what is already known. Sex. Drugs. Rock and Roll. Age old solution.

21. Coottie

Drugs aren't a solution...they are an escape. Escaping from your problems is only a temporary solution, it's much healthier to steer clear of drugs....too many side effects/risks and too much potential for making the situation a LOT worse.

22. ninethirtyfive

ninethirtyfive New Member

Ya I wouldn't recommend drugs either.

23. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

:hahano:

24. Terra Matris

Terra Matris Guest

- walk, stroll, jog

-yoga

-exercise

-self reflection or improvement/quiet time of any sort