ART Took some seascapes this morning v.Thread

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
shorn-1.jpg

Getting up before 5am on a Sunday sure sucks. It was worth it though.

Being on the east coast of Australia we get sunrise over the ocean, which is a real treat if you can be fucked getting up at an early enough hour to see it. I arrived while the sky was still a deep blue and the horizon was just starting to turn a soft yellow. I would have liked to have been there a little earlier to get some long exposure shots of the water hitting the rock line, but the water was really really still so there was no movement anyway.

I like seascapes but because of living on the east coast, local forums are full of people posting the same stuff. This combined with the early mornings means I've never bothered doing it before, until it was something I could use for a school submission. I was shooting the 500c/m above with ISO125 B&W film (6x6 medium format) and taking a heap of care with the shots in spite of the crooked horizon line above :rofl::o It's going to print so I was pretty careful. The prints from this camera/film are fucking amazing.

I had the digital camera with me just because, and while I wasn't as careful I am still stoked with a few of the images. Here's a couple from before the sun broke.

shornblue-2.jpg

shornblue-3.jpg

Last edited:

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I used to shoot sunrises all the time. You're pretty much boned when the sun breaks the horizon unless you have an ND filter.

oIk4p.jpg

The best time is about 30 minutes before sunrise though. You can still get longer exposures but they're also even exposures.

sniper0423

Jan 2, 2007
Dallas
get closer/lower. exaggerate the space by playing with the DOF in the foreground leading to the focus. I do love some seascapes though. Just watch about getting too close/low if the tide is changing :noes:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Pretty sure this kind of thing doesn't work as well as I'd like unless you use HDR :hs:

Yeah.. there's a shit ton of dynamic range if you want detail in skies and rocks etc

I like the pre-sunrise ones.. nice blue colours

Also, what's going on in the viewfinder of the hasselblad? What's the sphere thing? :o

TS
TS
charles foster kane

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Yeah.. there's a shit ton of dynamic range if you want detail in skies and rocks etc

I like the pre-sunrise ones.. nice blue colours

Also, what's going on in the viewfinder of the hasselblad? What's the sphere thing? :o
Yeah the pre-sunrise ones were heaps nicer, more manageable scenes

The circle in the VF is the focus thing... Fresnel image I think it's called

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448