CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle

americanwit

OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Houston, TX
Yup... if it's any consolation I'm at 320k miles on original control arms, just new ball joints.

Yeah I can't understand the tendency to do that on MUD - hell its often easy to confirm ball joints do or don't have play anything rubber is pretty trashed at this age/mileage. My UCA bushings were completely distorted from trying to hold alignment.

Replacing the AHC globes and all the sway bar related bushings already made a night and day difference. Only concern I have on keeping this thing another 250k is the trans - is the 4 spd old school enough that a decent trans shop can rebuild one?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaunt

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
Someone is saying a train derailment last night took out a bunch of toyotas

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
thing is wearing me out replacing all the things that wear in 250k miles. UCA so far, LCA and CV axles sitting in the garage.

Are you putting in aftermarket CVs? If so, don't. Factory CVs are best on the 100 and unless they're popping, don't replace them. Just do a reboot if they're leaking. They're good for many many more than 250 if they stay greased.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Yes, I'd also add that if it lasted this long its gonna go forever, unless yyou do something to break it.

This. I do a drain and refill at (~5 quarts) at each oil change. The transmission will go forever.

The line to the radiator on mine came out of its little hook and was rubbing the fan on the trails on CO. Ended up dumping all my fluid and lost all function from the torque converter. Rolled/towed it back to camp and filled her back up and she was good as new. These transmissions are extremely robust.

Refilling the transmission at camp :rofl:

ONHm9X_7xSSWX5zK0ool8M09N0Gd9fEziJT_dGmU1TIZSLQUdtIU-W3jsOqyfuNNG9dYgOAKYev7V5tX8VtuNLEYBOBLyzp92YzD9NkBNZlJsB1uUKOl8yBys-1F4miHWJxrcIkM30w=s0

o3T5YNxTMnVpwc9gokoP_JiXrZrhK9uH6pX7Mu2czz5AOZZFJN7zu8jg2QobR_drl3_hJ9t-L31j1_ntrBIcW48rgobbCtloZWqPBR9Z0OCOIPM4fArgXz6GbhDr42yuvKcUwrlo-FA=s0

• Love
Reactions: jaunt and Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
Holds 16 quarts. Draining the pan and refill is only about 4-5 of those. It's way easier than doing a full drain and refill every 100k. I also only change the oil every 10k, so like once a year.
10K/year?! I can leave my truck in the driveway and never touch it and at the end of the year it's got more than 10K added to the odometer. :wtcd:

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
10K/year?! I can leave my truck in the driveway and never touch it and at the end of the year it's got more than 10K added to the odometer. :wtcd:

Lol. We only use it for camping/off roading trips. I have probably 100k invested in it and ABQ drivers are horrible. I don't risk someone blowing a red light and totalling it for a 15k insurance payout. I have my Tacoma beater for daily.

Reactions: Ranger-AO

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74