CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
2kw. No idea how to tune it tho

Good on the 2kw. You're just adjusting the Hz of the pump and the fan speed. It's simple, but if you don't do it you'll end up like me with a clogged up heater after one night.

At 1:54 he shows the tuning specs for different altitudes. Go there first and write down the #s before following the steps on the controller.

Reactions: anomaly
TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
I think I’m just gonna leave the display inside. In camp I can just use one clasp and leave it on top of the case. It’s already not waterproof and I don’t want to run the thermostat/display into the tent. Once it’s running I’m just gonna use the key fob to dial it up or down. I think at least.

ptvkP2B.jpg

IcBbzgO.jpg

fEhPMwm.jpg

8yH57jP.jpg

BfiwHNi.jpg

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
Good on the 2kw. You're just adjusting the Hz of the pump and the fan speed. It's simple, but if you don't do it you'll end up like me with a clogged up heater after one night.

At 1:54 he shows the tuning specs for different altitudes. Go there first and write down the #s before following the steps on the controller.

Oh okay. Honestly I thought the hz setting was just another way of controlling the power. When I hit plus or minus on my key fob what am I controlling?

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Oh okay. Honestly I thought the hz setting was just another way of controlling the power. When I hit plus or minus on my key fob what am I controlling?

It is, but the fan speed and HZ max/min have to be synced up for different altitudes. Otherwise it will dumb too much fuel and not enough air or vise versa.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
It is, but the fan speed and HZ max/min have to be synced up for different altitudes. Otherwise it will dumb too much fuel and not enough air or vise versa.
I watched quite a few videos but had no idea that was a thing. Thanks for pointing that out. That's the type of thing that can be so frustrating when you go to finally use something and it worked fine at home :o

Reactions: Ramathorn15

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I can't remember if switching from ° to Hz on the display let's you maintain a speed or just sets a min. I know that if you're in ° and you try and put the controller outside, it will just run on the highest setting the whole time as it will be trying to compensate for the low temps the thermostat is seeing.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
@Ramathorn15 would you think a Goal Zero 500x could run a 2kw heater for 2 nights? My battery voltage dropped to 11.9 on startup but I haven't conditioned it in a while. They say its about 11 amps on startup and then .5-1amp hour once it's going

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I watched quite a few videos but had no idea that was a thing. Thanks for pointing that out. That's the type of thing that can be so frustrating when you go to finally use something and it worked fine at home :o

Yup. We would run fine at home but could never get a full night without it shitting the bed in the middle of the night. I was about to give up then found the tuning stuff on the FB page. Once I did that, it's been flawless. I've even had to strip down because I was sweating when it was 20° outside lol.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
I can't remember if switching from ° to Hz on the display let's you maintain a speed or just sets a min. I know that if you're in ° and you try and put the controller outside, it will just run on the highest setting the whole time as it will be trying to compensate for the low temps the thermostat is seeing.

Okay that's something to consider. I was thinking inside the box should be plenty warm. But I feel like the first time I want to see the display and Im in bed I'll wish I had just run it to the tent. I just want to keep the outside of the box tidy.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
Yup. We would run fine at home but could never get a full night without it shitting the bed in the middle of the night. I was about to give up then found the tuning stuff on the FB page. Once I did that, it's been flawless. I've even had to strip down because I was sweating when it was 20° outside lol.

I'm so excited. The dry heat is gonna be so nice in a small space where I'm always fighting condensation.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
@Ramathorn15 would you think a Goal Zero 500x could run a 2kw heater for 2 nights? My battery voltage dropped to 11.9 on startup but I haven't conditioned it in a while. They say its about 11 amps on startup and then .5-1amp hour once it's going

500 amp hours. 12v x 1amp is 12 amps an hour. Sleep for let's say 8 hours would be 96 amps. 2 nights would be 192 amps.

Should be plenty even with high start up.

*Edit
Oh wait. The 500 is watts. So 500/12 is ~41.6 amps.

** Edit again. Just noticed you said .5-1ah, not not just amps. So ~8 amps per night.

Last edited:
TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
500 amp hours. 12v x 1amp is 12 amps an hour. Sleep for let's say 8 hours would be 96 amps. 2 nights would be 192 amps.

Should be plenty even with high start up.

Okay thanks. I'm just worried it wont handle the startup and then It will be impossible to get it going. I also bought a 1.3 gallon yellow Wavian jerry can. I think that will be enough (I can always switch to 2 gal) but I dont want to worry about that plastic fuel take leaking all over so Ill just transfer the fuel at camp.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Okay thanks. I'm just worried it wont handle the startup and then It will be impossible to get it going. I also bought a 1.3 gallon yellow Wavian jerry can. I think that will be enough (I can always switch to 2 gal) but I dont want to worry about that plastic fuel take leaking all over so Ill just transfer the fuel at camp.

Check my edit. I thought the 500 was ah, not watts.

And check it again lol. I'm all over the place right now.

8 amps a night (8 hours running) on ~42 amps capacity.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I'm still confused lol. Let me look for the exact specs.

I'm seeing on lowest setting .5-1 ah and 3.5-3.7 on high.

Since those #s are ah, not not just amps, you can just multiply by how many hours you think it will run. 8 hours x 3.7ah would be 29.6 amps. Your yeti is 500 watts, so it's roughly 42 amps (500 watts / 12v).

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
the goal zero claims:
  • Pack capacity: 505Wh (10.8V, 46.8Ah)

And then for the 12v port:

• 12V car port (Output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max), Regulated

I'm assuming an 11 amp draw on startup would be too much for it. But I get overwhelmed quickly when going between watts/amps/volts/inputs/outputs etc. I just know they are usually pretty optimistic with their ratings.

So If Im reading it right, the amp hours should be fine but it's just a matter of how it handles the start up. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they advise.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
the goal zero claims:
  • Pack capacity: 505Wh (10.8V, 46.8Ah)

And then for the 12v port:

• 12V car port (Output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max), Regulated

I'm assuming an 11 amp draw on startup would be too much for it. But I get overwhelmed quickly when going between watts/amps/volts/inputs/outputs etc. I just know they are usually pretty optimistic with their ratings.

So If Im reading it right, the amp hours should be fine but it's just a matter of how it handles the start up. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they advise.

If it starts up now, it's fine. The 10 amps is based on the fusing inside and wiring. Since it's only start up, if it's not popping fuses, you'll be okay.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
If it starts up now, it's fine. The 10 amps is based on the fusing inside and wiring. Since it's only start up, if it's not popping fuses, you'll be okay.

I was running it today off my truck battery. It worked fine with the truck off. I don't have a power station yet but I think I'll just go ahead and try the 500x run it here at home and test it out. I really don't want to jump to the 1000x as I really don't even go through a 1000mAh battery pack camping (as far as phone charging/bluetooth speaker/etc.) Only needs at the moment are the fridge, which is fine on truck battery, and now the heater. Think I'm on the right track?

wizurd

Engorged Member
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
Depends on condition of the frame and maintenance records, but 250k isn't too much for a daily beater. But not for $7500, more like $5k or so.

Same condition? V8 or V6? Lack of rust the same? Maintenance records on both? Mileage is one of the last things I weigh when looking at these things. I've seen 100k mile trucks I wouldn't touch and 300k mile trucks that I'd get in a bidding war over.

V6. Same condition but I prefered the 06-09 styling and no head gasket issue. 05 had a bit more power IIRC. Carfax records for both are clean and had regular maintenance. No rust in the desert.

Reactions: intro_vert13

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I was running it today off my truck battery. It worked fine with the truck off. I don't have a power station yet but I think I'll just go ahead and try the 500x run it here at home and test it out. I really don't want to jump to the 1000x as I really don't even go through a 1000mAh battery pack camping (as far as phone charging/bluetooth speaker/etc.) Only needs at the moment are the fridge, which is fine on truck battery, and now the heater. Think I'm on the right track?
the thing to worry aboot is it not having enough juice to run thru proper shutdown and melt the heater

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I think I’m just gonna leave the display inside. In camp I can just use one clasp and leave it on top of the case. It’s already not waterproof and I don’t want to run the thermostat/display into the tent. Once it’s running I’m just gonna use the key fob to dial it up or down. I think at least.

ptvkP2B.jpg

IcBbzgO.jpg

fEhPMwm.jpg

8yH57jP.jpg

BfiwHNi.jpg
why no filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor