CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I was running it today off my truck battery. It worked fine with the truck off. I don't have a power station yet but I think I'll just go ahead and try the 500x run it here at home and test it out. I really don't want to jump to the 1000x as I really don't even go through a 1000mAh battery pack camping (as far as phone charging/bluetooth speaker/etc.) Only needs at the moment are the fridge, which is fine on truck battery, and now the heater. Think I'm on the right track?

It's probably fine. Is this in the Tacoma? You could add a "house" battery in the bed to run all these accessories. Would be way cheaper than the yeti.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
You might honestly even be fine on the single truck battery. My friend with the same trailer runs his fridge and 2kw heater off a single 100ah AGM battery. He's never had it go below 11v.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
It's probably fine. Is this in the Tacoma? You could add a "house" battery in the bed to run all these accessories. Would be way cheaper than the yeti.

I'm really at a crossroads. I'm switching to a shell with the RTT on top and ditching the mid height rack. I'm drawn to the Goal Zero because the interface and they offer 40% discount for the fire dept. I'm comfortable with the fridge running on the starting battery as I've never had an issue even in summer here. I only need something that can run the heater but more battery is always better so i'm torn on what to do. Dual battery is out as we've discussed in this thread. But if I had something that could handle a fridge and the diesel heater I wouldn't be mad.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I'm really at a crossroads. I'm switching to a shell with the RTT on top and ditching the mid height rack. I'm drawn to the Goal Zero because the interface and they offer 40% discount for the fire dept. I'm comfortable with the fridge running on the starting battery as I've never had an issue even in summer here. I only need something that can run the heater but more battery is always better so i'm torn on what to do. Dual battery is out as we've discussed in this thread. But if I had something that could handle a fridge and the diesel heater I wouldn't be mad.

At 40% discount, I'd probably do the yeti too. I'm betting the 500x will be enough. In that video you posted, it looks like the guy is using the 8kw version of the heater, so a 2kw should be no sweat.

Reactions: DrewDown
TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
At 40% discount, I'd probably do the yeti too. I'm betting the 500x will be enough. In that video you posted, it looks like the guy is using the 8kw version of the heater, so a 2kw should be no sweat.
Alright the plan is just to call and ask tomorrow and then if they say it should work I'll just order and try it out.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
this dude does a pretty in depth test. Mostly uses Amp hours as a measurement, but fast forward to about 18 minutes for a wrap up. Also of note is that the glow plug does kick back on for the shut down procedure.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
this dude does a pretty in depth test. Mostly uses Amp hours as a measurement, but fast forward to about 18 minutes for a wrap up. Also of note is that the glow plug does kick back on for the shut down procedure.

thats why i mentioned it

during shutdown, you hear the pump shut off, fan slow down

on the screen, can still see the fan moving, and the glow plug come on MOMENTARILY, its 80% just fan

just buy your battery gadget, and run a test, should be able to sell it if it doesnt work

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
thats why i mentioned it

during shutdown, you hear the pump shut off, fan slow down

on the screen, can still see the fan moving, and the glow plug come on MOMENTARILY, its 80% just fan

just buy your battery gadget, and run a test, should be able to sell it if it doesnt work

Thanks. I’m hopeful it will suit me. Definitely excited about the heater. I’m acclimated to 120 degree summers. So I don’t do well in colder nights camping. Even if the days are great.

borazhasleftthebuilding

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
i have one in the unfinished half of the basement that heats up my wifes sewing room

i initally set it up with a 120 to 12 transformer, but then realized if power went out during use, the heater wouldnt run shut down

so had to resort to old car battery and trickle charger

m1UL142.jpg

dFuaa2E.jpg

7qWWB7l.jpg

borazhasleftthebuilding

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
Thanks. I’m hopeful it will suit me. Definitely excited about the heater. I’m acclimated to 120 degree summers. So I don’t do well in colder nights camping. Even if the days are great.
if that battery thing doesnt work, you wont need another fullsize battery, theres plenty of small batteries that will cover that need

but then plenty more batteries that are normal size and could be of more use in normal use/redundancy/spare emergency

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs
i have one in the unfinished half of the basement that heats up my wifes sewing room

i initally set it up with a 120 to 12 transformer, but then realized if power went out during use, the heater wouldnt run shut down

so had to resort to old car battery and trickle charger

m1UL142.jpg

dFuaa2E.jpg

7qWWB7l.jpg

Pics of you in that vest?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74