CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
That looks like by far the most sorted out vehicle you have posted. Price is good also.

I know @XR250rdr has over 200k on his V8 4Runner. I am sure he can chime in about maint etc.

Reactions: couchlock

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
werd, im expecting to do the timing belt + LBJs right away

Is it an 05+? If so it's likely a vvti 4.7.

If not vvti, get cam seals and replace them when you do the timing belt.

If vvti, cam seals require head removal so don't bother. They should hold for a long time but it's a simple/cheap preventative step on the non vvti. On the vvti, you'll want to consider getting the secondary air induction bypass at some point. Not a ton of failures, but when they do you essentially end up in 25mph limp mode until you can fix it or get a bypass. Fixing is $$$$, bypass is $$$

On either, do the fan pulley bracket when you do the TB. The belt will take you roughly 10-12 hours the first time. The fan pulley bracket is like 3/4 of the way into the teardown so if it starts to go bad after a TB replacement, it's a lot of work to replace. Minus whale get it out of the way during the TB.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
now i dont want one :mad:

4gto9qT.png

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Is it an 05+? If so it's likely a vvti 4.7.

If not vvti, get cam seals and replace them when you do the timing belt.

If vvti, cam seals require head removal so don't bother. They should hold for a long time but it's a simple/cheap preventative step on the non vvti. On the vvti, you'll want to consider getting the secondary air induction bypass at some point. Not a ton of failures, but when they do you essentially end up in 25mph limp mode until you can fix it or get a bypass. Fixing is $$$$, bypass is $$$

On either, do the fan pulley bracket when you do the TB. The belt will take you roughly 10-12 hours the first time. The fan pulley bracket is like 3/4 of the way into the teardown so if it starts to go bad after a TB replacement, it's a lot of work to replace. Minus whale get it out of the way during the TB.
its an 02, so pre-VVTI

i see a Aisin kit that includes the TB, WP, and tensioners, figure ill just replace all that shit while i got it tore up, ill get the fan bracket as well, gracias amigo!

Reactions: jaunt

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
its an 02, so pre-VVTI

i see a Aisin kit that includes the TB, WP, and tensioners, figure ill just replace all that shit while i got it tore up, ill get the fan bracket as well, gracias amigo!

The Aisin kit is the way to go. You'll also need 2 jugs of Toyota red and DI water for a 50/50.

• Support

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
The only other thing that kinda sucks to maintain is the transmission. Since it's an 02, it will have a dip stick which helps a bit.

When you drain the pan, you only get about 4-5 quarts out (13q capacity iirc). Easiest way to imo to deal with it is to do a 4-5q drain and refill on some frequency. I typically do it ever 10k but I'm sure others will say that's overkill.

getting the level right can be a challenge too. You either have to precisely measure what comes out of the pan and replace with the exact amount of fresh, orrrr you get techstream or an obd2 reader that can give you the tranny temps. The fluid level has to be read/adjusted at a pan temp of 109-115°.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
The only other thing that kinda sucks to maintain is the transmission. Since it's an 02, it will have a dip stick which helps a bit.

When you drain the pan, you only get about 4-5 quarts out (13q capacity iirc). Easiest way to imo to deal with it is to do a 4-5q drain and refill on some frequency. I typically do it ever 10k but I'm sure others will say that's overkill.

getting the level right can be a challenge too. You either have to precisely measure what comes out of the pan and replace with the exact amount of fresh, orrrr you get techstream or an obd2 reader that can give you the tranny temps. The fluid level has to be read/adjusted at a pan temp of 109-115°.
Ya that’s how I normally do my fluid changes on the camper, couple quarts at a time, takes me like a month to cycle through it all lol

Reactions: Ramathorn15

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
its an 02, so pre-VVTI

I've done TB twice on my 4R. Used the Aisin kit both times. It's not really that bad, even the first time as long as you put the belt on correctly. Took me about 12 hours the first time including fixing it after I put the belt on with arrows facing the engine. Arrows point forward.

Also I found it's tons easier to work on if you pull the radiator.

Second time it took me about 4 hours.

I haven't had any issues with the secondary air injection either.

• Support

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
I paid some dude $260 to do mine. He came out and did the work in my garage. Can't remember how long it took him. Would pay again.

Reactions: XR250rdr

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I've done TB twice on my 4R. Used the Aisin kit both times. It's not really that bad, even the first time as long as you put the belt on correctly. Took me about 12 hours the first time including fixing it after I put the belt on with arrows facing the engine. Arrows point forward.

Also I found it's tons easier to work on if you pull the radiator.

Second time it took me about 4 hours.

I haven't had any issues with the secondary air injection either.
I watched a vid on it, doesn’t seem too bad, more work than the 3.4 cuz you gotta move around the power steering and alt out the way

Breaking the crank bolt without an impact is always the hardest part, I’ll probably do the bump starter trick

Reactions: bubbaZR2

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
If there was someone near me that would do that work for $260 I'd pay it too.

Oh damn, shows that his business is closed now. RIP. Dude was awesome. Total for the TB, water pump, belts, etc was under that $260.

Last I had heard he got hurt and needed surgery or something. F.

• Sad
Reactions: XR250rdr

Manthrax

Jan 1, 2007
Merryland
thots on the 1st gen Sequoias? Its fuckin massive and likely gets 3mpg with the 4.7L V8 and 4x4, but i found a super clean one here for ~$4.5K, 150k actual miles, not a single leak or spec of rust on the thing, runs like a top, needs o2 sensors and a rear hatch door handle, but thats seems to be it, it is by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the cleanest truck ive seen after looking at 40+ of them

if i take out the 3rd row and fold up the 2nd row it has 6.5 feet of cargo room aka mattress room so we can easily camp in the mafawker

plus has a decent set of Maxxis A/Ts on it, so its basically already ready for broverlanding

285293587_2144668185695774_3239328395568997950_n.jpg
4.7 is reliable as can be. Everything else mentioned is accurate including timing belt being a PITA compared to 3.4

Doesn't look like it's sagging too bad so suspension was replaced or it's the original on pucks.

Time for light bar, side canopy and you'll be an overlander in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529