CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
I watched a vid on it, doesn’t seem too bad, more work than the 3.4 cuz you gotta move around the power steering and alt out the way

Breaking the crank bolt without an impact is always the hardest part, I’ll probably do the bump starter trick
I bought a holding tool on Amazon for $40. Made it super easy to do with two breaker bars.

Reactions: Ramathorn15

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I'm due at 180k for my next TB, going to start ordering parts now. Thanks for the list!

Make sure the dingly part of the thermostat is at 12 o'clock. Also make sure you pay attention to the way the crank angle sensor washer comes off the crank. It's concave and if you put it back on backwards you'll have to start over to flip it.
I've done TB twice on my 4R. Used the Aisin kit both times. It's not really that bad, even the first time as long as you put the belt on correctly. Took me about 12 hours the first time including fixing it after I put the belt on with arrows facing the engine. Arrows point forward.

Also I found it's tons easier to work on if you pull the radiator.

Second time it took me about 4 hours.

I haven't had any issues with the secondary air injection either.

Do you have an 05+? I've seen a handful of the secondary injection failures but not enough to get the bypass on my truck. I do want to order one just to keep in the truck so I don't end up with a 2x as expensive tow from the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: couchlock

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Make sure the dingly part of the thermostat is at 12 o'clock. Also make sure you pay attention to the way the crank angle sensor washer comes off the crank. It's concave and if you put it back on backwards you'll have to start over to flip it.

Do you have an 05+? I've seen a handful of the secondary injection failures but not enough to get the bypass on my truck. I do want to order one just to keep in the truck so I don't end up with a 2x as expensive tow from the middle of nowhere.
What happens if the thermostat is clocked differently?

Yeah, mine's an 06. Now that I'm not driving mine every day I think I will pull the intake, check and clean the valves, and replace the pump. The pump motor can be found separately and by itself isn't very expensive.

Reactions: Ramathorn15

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
What happens if the thermostat is clocked differently?

Yeah, mine's an 06. Now that I'm not driving mine every day I think I will pull the intake, check and clean the valves, and replace the pump. The pump motor can be found separately and by itself isn't very expensive.

I would bypass and never think about it again. Lots of work to just replace something that's honestly unnecessary and still has the potential to fail. Just my opinion.

The jiggly valve helps prevent air from being trapped. If you recall the position of the thermostat, it's positioned in a way that would be prone to trapping air at the top and preventing the thermostat from opening when it should.

People who have accidentally clocked it wrong have experienced overheating/running hotter than expected. It's usually pretty noticeable right after installation so if yours is wrong and temps are good, you likely managed to not have any air get trapped there.

Last edited:

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I missed that, I bet I got mine in wrong. With the old thermostat the engine ran super consistently at 188°F.. With this one the temp wanders around a bit. Never overheats, but its weird how it moves around between 186° and 194°.

Likely your culprit. The most common symptom is a handful ° difference in running temp. There's also a good bit of other stuff that could be your cause too though.

Manthrax

Jan 1, 2007
Merryland

Do all newer Toyota's have a variaton of the injection pump? The Tacoma (and I think 4R) failure point is the sponge filter inside falls apart and fucks up the pump motor or gets sucked in. I know the 4.7 looks completely different.

The fix is to just take it out and slip a uni filter over the inlet hole. The housing fits back over it so you can't see and it looks stock.

a9489e2ab479004cff0f5cc6d987dd40.jpg

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Do all newer Toyota's have a variaton of the injection pump? The Tacoma (and I think 4R) failure point is the sponge filter inside falls apart and fucks up the pump motor or gets sucked in. I know the 4.7 looks completely different.

The fix is to just take it out and slip a uni filter over the inlet hole. The housing fits back over it so you can't see and it looks stock.

a9489e2ab479004cff0f5cc6d987dd40.jpg

Afaik they all do. That's definitely a good idea, but just like the brake pump (not vacuum on some models), alternator, starter etc all motors will eventually fail. Not likely if you don't plan to rack up 300k+ miles before getting rid of it.

I'll personally bypass when mine goes bad because I plan to keep it for forever, or for as long as possible. Then never think about it again.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
while i was doing final checks today before buying it, i noticed that both the VSC dash lights weren't lit when I turned the key into on position, not sure if they burnt out or if they were purposely removed

i am betting somebody unplugged the yaw sensor or something to kill the VSC and the lights just burned themselves out

it was dark and raining when i got home, will play with it tomorrow, im reading the traction control on these pigs is quite overly sensitive and annoying any damn way

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
while i was doing final checks today before buying it, i noticed that both the VSC dash lights weren't lit when I turned the key into on position, not sure if they burnt out or if they were purposely removed

i am betting somebody unplugged the yaw sensor or something to kill the VSC and the lights just burned themselves out

it was dark and raining when i got home, will play with it tomorrow, im reading its quite annoying any damn way
The system is pretty dumb and invasive. I'd check and see if there is a wire bypass mod or something more elegant than just pulling/shorting the fuse. Seems like a great base rig.

• Support

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529