CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

bubbaZR2

i poop too much, then i get tired...
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
New Mexico
Oh good now this rack trend is going to get worse. It wasn’t enough to haul a shovel, high lift and gas cans to work every day. Now we can haul whatever random shit we have lying around to “look cool.”

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
my 19 4runner limited rental got totaled the night before we took off so i had to find another one... why does this thing feel so much stronger than my 22 taco? Did the 2017s not have DBW or something? Is it just better gearing?

View attachment 239203
Your taco has a weaker engine

Idk exact numbers but the 3.5 in your gen taco makes power up high and always felt slow and hesitant to accelerate to me compared to the 4.0 v6 in the older tacos/current 4runners

Reactions: I<3URANUS

Finest

OG #93
Mar 16, 2000
Wisconsin
Oh good now this rack trend is going to get worse. It wasn’t enough to haul a shovel, high lift and gas cans to work every day. Now we can haul whatever random shit we have lying around to “look cool.”

Need more racks on racks on racks!

Overland-4Runners.jpg

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
my 19 4runner limited rental got totaled the night before we took off so i had to find another one... why does this thing feel so much stronger than my 22 taco? Did the 2017s not have DBW or something? Is it just better gearing?

View attachment 239203
My new 4Runner is slow as fuck. Feels so gutless :rofl:

The last gen V8 feels much better.

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
who itt has a Garmin inReach, MagellanGPS, rugged radio, topomaps etc?

I'm buying an inreach mini 2 soon, it's saved a few people I know. I've heard bad things about all of the 'offroad' gps units like the garmin overlander, basically they are just a rip off.

Everyone that I know uses all trails, onx, gaia on a phone or a tablet. I believe you can pair them the garmin which is more accurate with faster gps ping times.

I don't know anyone with a rugged, I thought they were just rebranded beofuns with channels preprogramed

Reactions: SquirtRussel

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Your taco has a weaker engine

Idk exact numbers but the 3.5 in your gen taco makes power up high and always felt slow and hesitant to accelerate to me compared to the 4.0 v6 in the older tacos/current 4runners
Yup, it's true. You have to ring the 3.5 out to get the power in it.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
Thinking about a supercharger for xmas, tough call between the 3 options (urd whipple, magnuson roots, procharger centri). I'm really strongly considering the procharger for a few reasons. The magnuson seems like it fades real fast and I mostly just want to be able to hold steady speed on long mountain passes while geared up.

I hear the URD whipple eats daily mpg like crazy and just don't need that when I only get 15mpg as it is. The procharger has no problems in 4low while on the trail, but I've never really needed any extra hp on the trail. We have a very long hill heading up north to flagstaff, that and just the general Colorado mountain passes

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
One of these will get you all the GPS accuracy you could need:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYAZENY/?coliid=I2Y1T43JD0Z94U&colid=DB0ZXJQEC7BA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Finest

OG #93
Mar 16, 2000
Wisconsin
Thinking about a supercharger for xmas, tough call between the 3 options (urd whipple, magnuson roots, procharger centri). I'm really strongly considering the procharger for a few reasons. The magnuson seems like it fades real fast and I mostly just want to be able to hold steady speed on long mountain passes while geared up.

I hear the URD whipple eats daily mpg like crazy and just don't need that when I only get 15mpg as it is. The procharger has no problems in 4low while on the trail, but I've never really needed any extra hp on the trail. We have a very long hill heading up north to flagstaff, that and just the general Colorado mountain passes

Forget about gas mileage if you're going boosted.

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town

You'll get 12-13mpg with premium, it will go down as you go > 33" tires, add bumpers etc.

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
You'll get 12-13mpg with premium, it will go down as you go > 33" tires, add bumpers etc.

Just trying to justify a centrifugal procharger (ease of install/mpg) but linear boost over the URD whipple that isn't as rpm dependent, way worse mpg and much more difficult to install.

Boost hits around 2500 on the procharger, but anytime I step on the gas or in 4low I'm immediately at 2500 anyway.

I can probably get a minor deal on the procharger, just seems weird to have on a 4.0 4runner. I know of a couple long travel tacomas with the procharger though that are pretty wild

already on 33's and have 4.56 on order, might go 285/75r17 on my next set of tires

My main thing really is the long highway hill climbs SUCK when I'm loaded up and I head north often. I pretty much have to floor it all the way up, and if something slows me down then I can never get the speed back up. I've never felt that I needed the power offroad

Last edited:

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
Just trying to justify a centrifugal procharger (ease of install/mpg) but linear boost over the URD whipple that isn't as rpm dependent, way worse mpg and much more difficult to install.

Boost hits around 2500 on the procharger, but anytime I step on the gas or in 4low I'm immediately at 2500 anyway.

I can probably get a minor deal on the procharger, just seems weird to have on a 4.0 4runner. I know of a couple long travel tacomas with the procharger though that are pretty wild

already on 33's and have 4.56 on order, might go 285/75r17 on my next set of tires

My main thing really is the long highway hill climbs SUCK when I'm loaded up and I head north often. I pretty much have to floor it all the way up, and if something slows me down then I can never get the speed back up. I've never felt that I needed the power offroad
All my experience is with the TRD/Maggy. They all give you just enough power that you don't have to floor when heavy going over a pass, and you can regain speed if you lose it. The rigs are still under powered for their weight.

Reactions: XO

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Msds