CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
@fuct.

If you want to go more budget and just get a lift, since I'm guessing you aren't really needing kings or icons, check out these preload collars. This is a shop local to me that I know pretty well. It's not really my choice for heavy offroad but it'll get you lifted better than what the dealer is going to give you

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
@fuct.

If you want to go more budget and just get a lift, since I'm guessing you aren't really needing kings or icons, check out these preload collars. This is a shop local to me that I know pretty well. It's not really my choice for heavy offroad but it'll get you lifted better than what the dealer is going to give you

normally i'd agree, but the TRD kit looks great on paper.

Taking notes from the dealer-installed lift kit made available last year for the Tacoma mid-size pickup, the new Tundra kit comes with red TRD-tuned coil springs and Bilstein monotube shocks which feature digressive pistons for improved low-speed body control and high-speed stability. Stronger forged upper control arms up front are sourced from Roush Performance. You'll also get taller coil springs, new lower knuckles, stabilizer links, outer tie rods and sleeves, bump stops, and extended drive shafts in the front, along with rear spring spacers and extended brake flex hoses.

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
normally i'd agree, but the TRD kit looks great on paper.

call westcott and just talk to them, they'll set you straight better than I can. they're super nice and I'm in direct contact with them

bilsteen 5100s are notorious for bending shafts, not sure what is being used for the trd kit

I can get you a referral for westcott if you need

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
call westcott and just talk to them, they'll set you straight better than I can. they're super nice and I'm in direct contact with them

bilsteen 5100s are notorious for bending shafts, not sure what is being used for the trd kit

I can get you a referral for westcott if you need
Possibly. I'm not going to start digging into mods until next year.

it looks great, but i've read it makes your ride go to shit. this is a tundras.com member's truck

FzptqQS.jpeg

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Hoping you guys have a vague idea of what's up with my 4runner. 194k miles so.. A lot. Had my rear axle assembly replaced back in August. Now the back driver side sounds like ass. Just got home and looked underneath appears something is leaking, so that's good. Any idea what it could be? Going to have a place by my office look at it tomorrow but figured I'd ask you fine folks.

PXL_20221110_211621439.jpg PXL_20221110_211600686.jpg

• Barf
Reactions: couchlock and jaunt

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
Finally got an appointment at my local off-road shop to take a look at my first gen Taco and am dropping it off tonight... Front end feels weird - a bit of a wobble and not a very connected feel between the wheel and the road. It seems to settle down a little as it gets driven but it will come back if I hit a imperfection (like an expansion joint) on the road so I'm assuming that something is either loose or bent. I've already replaced my LBJs, sway bar/steering rack bushings as well as a fresh alignment and I'm still having these issues...

I think I fucked it up rallying some fireroads last year with two dirtbikes in the bed. Hoping the issue is a simple fix... :wtcd:

Reactions: turbo35

anemic

OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2003
Hoping you guys have a vague idea of what's up with my 4runner. 194k miles so.. A lot. Had my rear axle assembly replaced back in August. Now the back driver side sounds like ass. Just got home and looked underneath appears something is leaking, so that's good. Any idea what it could be? Going to have a place by my office look at it tomorrow but figured I'd ask you fine folks.

View attachment 275394 View attachment 275395
Are you sure they replaced the assembly? that michigan corrosion sure seems to match the rest of your 4runner.

Looks like you have a seal that has failed and wicked the oil towards the center of the axle and the fill plug is leaking as well.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Are you sure they replaced the assembly? that michigan corrosion sure seems to match the rest of your 4runner.

Looks like you have a seal that has failed and wicked the oil towards the center of the axle and the fill plug is leaking as well.
I was told they replaced the left rear axle assembly. They replaced it, the sound was worse, he said it was a faulty part ordered a new one replaced it again and it sounded fine. Here we are a few months later and I'm looking at this.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I was told they replaced the left rear axle assembly. They replaced it, the sound was worse, he said it was a faulty part ordered a new one replaced it again and it sounded fine. Here we are a few months later and I'm looking at this.
axle shaft probably, do you have the quote for the work still?

Reactions: anemic

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal

it looks great, but i've read it makes your ride go to shit. this is a tundras.com member's truck

FzptqQS.jpeg
I think that's an OTers

I would go with Coilovers + UCA. Do it right the first time.

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle

FzptqQS.jpeg

Is it just me or does anyone also else also think that the front of the new Tundra kinda looks like Hulk Hogan? It's one of those things that I can't unsee anymore... Kinda like the rear taillights on a lot of Mopar products look like Randy Macho Man Savage...

1668118780951.png

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ

Easy thing to think would be the axle seal, but it appears the inside of your wheel is dry. It's also looks more dry closer to your brake shield.

Are your brakes okay? Any sponginess? Could be a ruptured rubber or metal line causing spray and making it harder to pinpoint. Could also be your shock ruptured. Your shock is soaked up high. Jump on that corner and see if it's more bouncy than the other.

If neither of those, then yeah, it's most likely an axle shaft seal and drain/fill plug gasket.

Fuck rust btw.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
took 1/2 my damn truck apart today trying to figure out why the rear trunk window wouldnt go down with the switch but worked fine with the remote.... about 3/4 of the way through disassembly I try to roll down the pass window, its not working either... wtf

go over and check the wiring on the drivers door handle and realize i had hit the damn Child Lock window button at some point and locked out all teh windows but drivers... unlocked the child lock and trunk window worked perfectly

IDIOT :rofl:
The other one that will get you is the key won't roll the window down if you haven't re-homed the window after disconnecting the battery.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Easy thing to think would be the axle seal, but it appears the inside of your wheel is dry. It's also looks more dry closer to your brake shield.

Are your brakes okay? Any sponginess? Could be a ruptured rubber or metal line causing spray and making it harder to pinpoint. Could also be your shock ruptured. Your shock is soaked up high. Jump on that corner and see if it's more bouncy than the other.

If neither of those, then yeah, it's most likely an axle shaft seal and drain/fill plug gasket.

Fuck rust btw.

I wouldn't say super spongy but they have felt a bit soft. Didn't think much I've been driving my wife's camry and her brakes are super touchy. I had the line going into the caliper replaced probably 18 months ago when it cracked and started leaking so I'm wondering if it's up higher. I don't know shit about fuck though, obviously.

I appreciate the help here.

Reactions: Ramathorn15

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I wouldn't say super spongy but they have felt a bit soft. Didn't think much I've been driving my wife's camry and her brakes are super touchy. I had the line going into the caliper replaced probably 18 months ago when it cracked and started leaking so I'm wondering if it's up higher. I don't know shit about fuck though, obviously.

I appreciate the help here.
unfortunately the best way to diagnose this is to clean the whole area and see where it propagates from

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway

giphy.gif

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Finally got an appointment at my local off-road shop to take a look at my first gen Taco and am dropping it off tonight... Front end feels weird - a bit of a wobble and not a very connected feel between the wheel and the road. It seems to settle down a little as it gets driven but it will come back if I hit a imperfection (like an expansion joint) on the road so I'm assuming that something is either loose or bent. I've already replaced my LBJs, sway bar/steering rack bushings as well as a fresh alignment and I'm still having these issues...

I think I fucked it up rallying some fireroads last year with two dirtbikes in the bed. Hoping the issue is a simple fix... :wtcd:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman