CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
your shit is so rusty/Michigan'd that it's hard to say, but I'd venture a guess that your left rear axle seal is fucked

Easy thing to think would be the axle seal, but it appears the inside of your wheel is dry. It's also looks more dry closer to your brake shield.

Are your brakes okay? Any sponginess? Could be a ruptured rubber or metal line causing spray and making it harder to pinpoint. Could also be your shock ruptured. Your shock is soaked up high. Jump on that corner and see if it's more bouncy than the other.

If neither of those, then yeah, it's most likely an axle shaft seal and drain/fill plug gasket.

Fuck rust btw.

Brake fluid level hasn't dipped at all and with the way it looks you'd think it would have a little bit making me think it's probably not a brake line.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Didn't realize how simple it is to swap out the differential gaskets and to replace the fluids. Thought that would be a larger job. Just gotta figure out what is going on by the left tire.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Didn't realize how simple it is to swap out the differential gaskets and to replace the fluids. Thought that would be a larger job. Just gotta figure out what is going on by the left tire.

You mean the drain and fill plug gaskets? Those are easy. If it's your shaft seal, then it's a good bit more work as you have to pull the 3rd member.

Does the fluid smell awful. Diff fluid has a distinctly horrible smell.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
If you haven’t done it yet, remove the fill port before the drain, if that thing is seized you don’t want to find out too late

Reactions: Finest

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
You mean the drain and fill plug gaskets? Those are easy. If it's your shaft seal, then it's a good bit more work as you have to pull the 3rd member.

I was more of a turbo vw/porsche person before this 4x4 stuff. My rear diff was crystal clear but holy f my front diff took days to get off my hands and out of my head. Not sure what the deal is there at 25k. My turbo fluids are disgusting at like 2k

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
The previous owner had this thing serviced every three months. The number of records that came with it was insane. The stack was as thick as a Harry Potter book. I need to look and see if there's a record for those fluids. I've only had it for 2.5 years so hopefully those were done semi recently. I don't know how often it needs to be changed.

jaunt

straight raw like a shamans feet
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
The previous owner had this thing serviced every three months. The number of records that came with it was insane. The stack was as thick as a Harry Potter book. I need to look and see if there's a record for those fluids. I've only had it for 2.5 years so hopefully those were done semi recently. I don't know how often it needs to be changed.
every 30k

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Dude should have added fluid film to his annual maintenance

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan

Doesn't smell terrible. I mean it doesn't smell good but it doesn't smell any worse than when I change the oil. Doesn't quite smell like brake fluid either.

Attachments

• PXL_20221111_212425956.jpg
    PXL_20221111_212425956.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
Any suggestions on best place to find some shocks and springs? I've got the obvious Autozone/Advanced auto places around me. Have an appointment Tuesday, not sure if it's worth buying them myself and saying here ya go please install them. Or if I should just let them order the parts and hope they dont fuck me on the prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nancy Sherman