CREW Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tundra/FJ crew. Let's get a thread going

jaunt

straight raw like a shamans feet
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
Any suggestions on best place to find some shocks and springs? I've got the obvious Autozone/Advanced auto places around me. Have an appointment Tuesday, not sure if it's worth buying them myself and saying here ya go please install them. Or if I should just let them order the parts and hope they dont fuck me on the prices.
Not autoparts store junk. OE toyota shocks are usually pretty cheap.

Convert it to regular style shocks tho.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
I'll just tell the shop to replace all 4, swap out to the standard type of shock and call it a day. Hoping to get rid of it in the Spring anyway so shit man, fuck it.

Reactions: jaunt

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I'll just tell the shop to replace all 4, swap out to the standard type of shock and call it a day. Hoping to get rid of it in the Spring anyway so shit man, fuck it.
I'd get the basic bilstein OE replacements, but given your current state of affairs even the $50 white shocks from the part store will be amazing :rofl:

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
Finally got an appointment at my local off-road shop to take a look at my first gen Taco and am dropping it off tonight... Front end feels weird - a bit of a wobble and not a very connected feel between the wheel and the road. It seems to settle down a little as it gets driven but it will come back if I hit a imperfection (like an expansion joint) on the road so I'm assuming that something is either loose or bent. I've already replaced my LBJs, sway bar/steering rack bushings as well as a fresh alignment and I'm still having these issues...

I think I fucked it up rallying some fireroads last year with two dirtbikes in the bed. Hoping the issue is a simple fix... :wtcd:

So got the call from the auto shop. The good news is that the work that I did earlier was okay and didn't mess anything up but the shop did find two issues:

-Bent front/left knuckle - Replace with new is about $1,300. Replace with used is about $1,100. Shop said it would take about 3-4 hours to complete this job.
-Steering Rack needs to be replaced - $1,100 repair bill. No additional details regarding parts cost or time needed.

Wasn't expecting to need to throw $2,500 at this truck but maybe I can save some money by doing some of it myself? Of the two jobs, I think the steering rack is the most DIY but wanted to get your guys' thoughts on how I might proceed.

Do the costs listed above seem reasonable to you for the work being done?

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
So got the call from the auto shop. The good news is that the work that I did earlier was okay and didn't mess anything up but the shop did find two issues:

-Bent front/left knuckle - Replace with new is about $1,300. Replace with used is about $1,100. Shop said it would take about 3-4 hours to complete this job.
-Steering Rack needs to be replaced - $1,100 repair bill. No additional details regarding parts cost or time needed.

Wasn't expecting to need to throw $2,500 at this truck but maybe I can save some money by doing some of it myself? Of the two jobs, I think the steering rack is the most DIY but wanted to get your guys' thoughts on how I might proceed.

Do the costs listed above seem reasonable to you for the work being done?
what yeah is your truck?
why does the rack need replaced?

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
what yeah is your truck?
why does the rack need replaced?

It's a 1998 Tacoma.

Just got off the phone with the shop and they said that the steering rack needs to be replaced because the inner tie-rods are bad and there is slop in the gearing.

This shop I'm working with is Auburn Off Road.

Reached out to my source for Toyota OEM parts and he can get me the steering knuckle for $459 + shipping. Rack and pinion is $530 plus shipping the price for the rack and pinion includes the D grommet necessary for proper install. When I told the shop that pricing they said to order the parts from my source because it's cheaper than what they can get them for.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
It's a 1998 Tacoma.

Just got off the phone with the shop and they said that the steering rack needs to be replaced because the inner tie-rods are bad and there is slop in the gearing.

This shop I'm working with is Auburn Off Road.

Reached out to my source for Toyota OEM parts and he can get me the steering knuckle for $459 + shipping. Rack and pinion is $530 plus shipping the price for the rack and pinion includes the D grommet necessary for proper install. When I told the shop that pricing they said to order the parts from my source because it's cheaper than what they can get them for.
get the OEM parts and pay the shop, that work sucks to do w/o a lift

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
KDSS... oof.

I think that's x reas suspension and a limited model. easy enough to rip out, who nows if it's doing anything right now. notorious for leaking lines between the shocks

Attachments

• xreas.jpg
    xreas.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
God damn MAX is fun. I have no idea what ready means, but the truck is always ready I guess.

View attachment 275764
its a toyota truck alright :wtc:

Ud9XzVW.png

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
I think that's x reas suspension and a limited model. easy enough to rip out, who nows if it's doing anything right now. notorious for leaking lines between the shocks
It's a sport, but everything I've read says just swap it over and over to standard shocks and forget the x reas. Likely won't own it for another year so I'll go the cheaper route.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman