ART Travelling & Your Equipment

Biskit

Jun 22, 2006
In Communist Cuba
Do you guys bring it on board? Are there any problems running your gear through the xray machine? Wondering because I plan on taking a flight to another city.

5879170270_8e9d0949ce_z.jpg

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
my stuff goes w/ me on the plane in my ThinkTank Security roll around. Gate attendants have tried to gate check it before... but I told them out of my cold dead fingers. Kinda like Ben Stiller in 'Meet The Parents'.

ok_computer

OT Supporter
Jan 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
been all over da worl with my stuff, never had an issue. just always make sure they do the film by hand (if you're taking any), and yeah they'll prob swab the shit outta everything but that takes like 3 minutes. i use a pretty big bag too.

2575177501_3fef37a3d9_o.jpg

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
Never check your camera stuff! Get a bag that will fit overhead, or under the seat. Have your film hand inspected/swabbed.

last two trips (both to Chicago), they've been good w/ not checking my bag when I leave Houston, but on the way back... checked. both times. Took everything out the bag, swabbed every thing, tried to put it back. I go a bit frustrated and told them i'd do it. :mad:

TS
TS
Biskit

Biskit

Jun 22, 2006
In Communist Cuba
There is no problem with throwing the stuff through the scanner? It wont effect the equipment? Like, putting a magnet on a monitor or something of that sort?

huntz0r

Apr 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
There is no problem with throwing the stuff through the scanner? It wont effect the equipment? Like, putting a magnet on a monitor or something of that sort?
It doesn't matter, computers and other electronics are fine to go through the x-ray, as is flash storage. Just don't put film in there.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf

No. It won't hurt your gear. But I've had shit broken when I had to check my gear at the gate.

You want to stow your gear in the overhead bin but often on a small plane there isn't room for everyone to do this so if you're boarding in group 3, 4 or 5, you may be out of luck.

To make sure that you board first and can stow your gear, ask the person at the gate if you can pre-board due to the expensive gear you're carrying. 9 times out of 10 they will let you.

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
i have brought my gear with me on numerous flights and have never had a problem at a security check point..

on that note i'm flying tomorrow and i'll probably have a problem now.. :wtc:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Flown all over the world, no issues at all. Put it in a bag that fits overhead. Never check it in.

alexromo

Jul 10, 2005
Wahiawa
i carry everything in a camera backpack, never get hassled. they just want the laptop outside of the bag.

light stands and light modifiers all go in checked baggage

Chicle

Sep 19, 2003
Cancun, Mexico/Milwaukee, WI
Flown a lot with my gear only had one problem and it still bugs me to this day. I had a rocket blower in my camera bag, I'd flown with that thing all over, Mexico, Nicaragua, Israel. Never once had I had a problem with it. Last Nov. in Cancun while I was leaving and the x-ray lady got a little over zealous and pulled my bag to the side to search it. They took out the rocket blower and told me they would have to keep it because it looks like a grenade. I told them it was ridiculous and its just plastic. They wouldn't listen and they took. End of story right? Well next time I'm in the airport I'm about to go through security and what do I see on the glass shelf of things you can't bring on the plane. My fucking rocket blower. Yeah so now every time I fly out of here I get reminded of it.

MB300E87

Jun 4, 2001
California
i always bring my shit on board with me. i try to only carry-on with all my luggage too. just don't trust that my stuff won't be broken or stolen if its not within arms reach of me.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Flown a lot with my gear only had one problem and it still bugs me to this day. I had a rocket blower in my camera bag, I'd flown with that thing all over, Mexico, Nicaragua, Israel. Never once had I had a problem with it. Last Nov. in Cancun while I was leaving and the x-ray lady got a little over zealous and pulled my bag to the side to search it. They took out the rocket blower and told me they would have to keep it because it looks like a grenade. I told them it was ridiculous and its just plastic. They wouldn't listen and they took. End of story right? Well next time I'm in the airport I'm about to go through security and what do I see on the glass shelf of things you can't bring on the plane. My fucking rocket blower. Yeah so now every time I fly out of here I get reminded of it.

:rofl: that's kinda cool

But I've flown tons of times with one of those and never had a problem

shiba

Feb 10, 2006
Always bring it with you in a bag the size of a carry on. You risk getting your gear broken or stolen if you check it.

( * )( * )

OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2002
Always bring it with you in a bag the size of a carry on. You risk getting your gear broken or stolen if you check it.

Motherfucking dot. Southwest just 'lost' my checked bag on Sunday. :mad: Luckily it was just clothes and a light stand.

s14brent

Apr 29, 2009
las vegas
i'm worried about my upcoming trip, because i'll be bringing along my tripod along with the thinktank airport security....

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I think travelling within the US is a whole different ball game compared to everywhere else :o Especially from the stuff I read in the main about TSA being full of aggressive high-school dropouts. On the odd time I go to the US, that's been my experience too.. they're very confrontational and aggressive for no apparent reason :rofl:

Security in Europe sucks balls (or is awesome depending how you look at it!) I've carried scissors, a pack of 20 razor blades, bungee cords etc in my hand luggage without issue, and then realised later on.. oh well :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan