LOVE Tuesday, October 7 is the 10th Anniversary of Matthew Shepard's murder

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
What does his name invoke in you?

I came out of the closet about a year before his murder. For me, Matthew Shepard's murder was the catalyst for an amazing time in the gay right's movement... it was a time when gays and lesbians from around the country stood up and said "Enough hatred and violence against gays! We're not going to let this happen anymore."

He became our poster-child for equality and the civil rights movement. His murder coined the term "hate crime" and the legislation against hate crimes.

But, now it's ten years later and a whole new generation of gays and lesbians are around... and I'm wondering what you think of him? Do you relate to him? Is he just a symbol or is he a person to you? Do you know his story or have you just heard about it?

TS
TS
Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
A link to an advocate story about the events surrounding his death:

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid62771.asp

An excerpt

"On Wednesday, October 7, 1998, Matthew Shepard was found tied to a fence on the Wyoming prairie, barely alive, his skull fractured and his brain stem crushed. Comatose, he was taken first to a Laramie hospital, then to a better-equipped one in Fort Collins, Colo., where he died five days later. We may never know what his killers, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, intended to do when they first approached Shepard at Laramie’s Fireside Lounge. We only know that, whatever their intention, they ended up murdering him.

Almost instantly, his death became a flash point in this country’s reckoning with gay people, and the cute, clean-cut 21-year-old became a symbol of the ravages of intolerance. The tragedy sparked vigils around the world and led to federal hate-crimes legislation that bears Shepard’s name, currently pending in Congress. (Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama has promised to sign the bill if elected.)"

Pen Is Mightier

I remember hearing about this when I was a young kid. At the time I did not really understand what was going on...I guess I was 9 or so. All I knew was someone got killed because they were gay. I didn't think of it much at the time...I never thought I would be gay, it seemed absurd to think that at that time.

I would like to know more about his story though if anyone has videos/articles about it. This could happen again, anytime, anywhere, if you think about it...

TS
TS
Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
just search "matthew shepard"

You'll find all you need to know.

Rent "The Laramie Project" movie.. it's great.

Visit www.matthewshepard.org
That's the site that focuses on the organization Judy Shepard (Matt's mom) founded and runs.

philvia

SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME
May 3, 2007
NYC
i'm pretty much the same as pen...
i must have been like 8 when it happened, i remember very vaguely it was on the news. thats all though.

Pen Is Mightier

I believe I have seen The Laramie Project as a play now that I think about it.

I may have to download the movie. :o Is it very depressing or could it be something for the BF & I to watch?

Elusid

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
I don't remember it actually happening but my former step dad directed "The Laramie Project" and brought it to our regional theater festival which includes Wyoming. I never actually watched the whole thing, just snippets from the rehearsals

Pen Is Mightier

Apparently movie piraters don't like the Laramie Project. hmm...time to go more torrent hunting.

Bib-Lettuce

Oct 9, 2004
Personally, atm it's all the same for me. I don't think of Mathew as a symbol or anything, his murder fills me with the same unquenchable hatred as any violence again gay people. Well all people but gay-bashing hits me specially hard because I can relate to it more.

Pen Is Mightier

Got an e-mail from the Gay/Pride/GBLT/whateveryouwanttocall it center today actually saying they were having a booth/area of remembrance today. :eek4: I should go check it out, chit chat with them.

Pen Is Mightier

Was biking to class and talked to the :greddy: people @ the Gay Pride booth...right next to the Obama booth. :hsugh: Lots of pictures, short stories and stuff that taught me some shit. The people were kind of annoying though, the girls were fine, one of them was cute, but the guys were all way too :greddy:...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor