TECH ubiquiti wifi crew

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Also the flex mini switches I have at the end of each run don’t show up on the topology map. Not sure if that’s an issue with the adapters or unifi

guessing they aint passing discovery across the coax

Smahatma

OT Supporter
Dec 23, 2003
Gullyfornia
what's the point of the sites that have the + button to make the image bigger and the 'bigger' image is the same size (or just a tab bigger) than the image you are trying to make bigger?
iknowrite

Ubiquiti are truly professional jimmy rustlers in many facets of their business

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
Homies, trying to help out family in a remote location with internet. They happen to be on the last on the telephone pole for DSL service, but it is the slowest service possible. They currently have fixed wireless, which works well sometimes, and is utter dog shit other times. I'm thinking of trying to setup a router with dual WAN for weighted load balancing. Utilize a DSL connection as fast as it will go, then tap in to a fixed wireless LTE connection and run that up as fast as it will go, when it isn't complete dog shit.

It seems like the UDM which I currently run at home won't support anything like this. UDM SE has two WAN ports, but seems like it still doesn't support any kind of load balancing. As far as I could tell, my only option with Ubiquiti is like a USG, which people say is old. :o Seems like there are several "Load Balancing Routers" available on Amazon, and other options seem to be a PFSense box or some kind of Netgate Appliance. Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of setup?

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Homies, trying to help out family in a remote location with internet. They happen to be on the last on the telephone pole for DSL service, but it is the slowest service possible. They currently have fixed wireless, which works well sometimes, and is utter dog shit other times. I'm thinking of trying to setup a router with dual WAN for weighted load balancing. Utilize a DSL connection as fast as it will go, then tap in to a fixed wireless LTE connection and run that up as fast as it will go, when it isn't complete dog shit.

It seems like the UDM which I currently run at home won't support anything like this. UDM SE has two WAN ports, but seems like it still doesn't support any kind of load balancing. As far as I could tell, my only option with Ubiquiti is like a USG, which people say is old. :o Seems like there are several "Load Balancing Routers" available on Amazon, and other options seem to be a PFSense box or some kind of Netgate Appliance. Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of setup?
Yes tell them to move or sign up for starlink

Reactions: Polish

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
Yes tell them to move or sign up for starlink
Already had them sign up for Starlink, they're on the list but I'm sure behind thousands of people. However I still really like the idea of load-balancing a shitty DSL connection with any wireless service. Of course Starlink could totally make it obsolete if it was stable and legit enough.

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell

There’s a new version of the USG coming (someday) and it should support it. I have the old USG which has link bonding but it caps out at 400MBps throughput if you have UTM enabled.

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

Peplink is what you want but don’t expect miracles. It’s as good as your worst throughput

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
Peplink is what you want but don’t expect miracles. It’s as good as your worst throughput

Thank you :cool: I saw their stuff on Amazon but wasn't sure if they were anything out of the ordinary. It does seem like they're pretty reputable with a lot of people doing exactly what I'm trying to do. Definitely not expecting any miracles, but since this is working with barely 5mbps DSL and spotty LTE, I think it might work pretty well for this application.

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
There’s a new version of the USG coming (someday) and it should support it. I have the old USG which has link bonding but it caps out at 400MBps throughput if you have UTM enabled.

Yeah seems like UB's USG devices are the only option. I guess the feature was on UDM Pros but it was disabled because it was buggy. :o I'm shocked it isn't more of a standard thing. No big deal tho, I'm still floored with my UDM for home. :o

Platinum_Thunder

Reliability for life and liberty
Jun 28, 2001
So for the Dream Machine, what sort of speeds should I be seeing on wireless? I have been getting about 250mbps per second up and down on average. Some bursts have been over 300. Seems pretty low tbh.

I have changed it to 80mhz and switched the channel.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
So for the Dream Machine, what sort of speeds should I be seeing on wireless? I have been getting about 250mbps per second up and down on average. Some bursts have been over 300. Seems pretty low tbh.
lol you have to compare wired/wireless

Wireless there are so many variables, environment, packet sniffing, security etc etc.

What features do you have enabled as far as traffic shaping/packet sniffing/security?

Platinum_Thunder

Jun 28, 2001
lol you have to compare wired/wireless

Wireless there are so many variables, environment, packet sniffing, security etc etc.

What features do you have enabled as far as traffic shaping/packet sniffing/security?
Right. I realize there are a shit load of factors :rofl:

I guess my questions is more to what CAN the UDM itself put out and work back from there.

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
Right. I realize there are a shit load of factors :rofl:

I guess my questions is more to what CAN the UDM itself put out and work back from there.
I'm assuming you're talking about the pill-shaped DM.

The Ubiquiti datasheet specifies theoretical max of 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, and 1733 on the 5GHz band. As I'm sure you know, obstacles have a substantially larger effect on performance in the 5GHz band than the 2.4GHz band. Since you mentioned you "changed it to 80MHz" I'm inferring you're using the 5GHz band.

As @stevezissou mentioned it's probably best to get a baseline on a wired client and go from there.

Reactions: stevezissou

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
you’re never going to see spec speed unless you’re sitting rint next to the radio with zero interference. Start mixing in neighbors , Bluetooth dildoes , you’re going to see much slower speeds. the key term here is aggregate. you WILL max out the radio if you have enough clients, however one client wont max it out, for the most part. you got other bottlenecks as well

Last edited:

Platinum_Thunder

Jun 28, 2001
Lets go from what are you getting hard wired.

Then go from there

I'm assuming you're talking about the pill-shaped DM.

The Ubiquiti datasheet specifies theoretical max of 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, and 1733 on the 5GHz band. As I'm sure you know, obstacles have a substantially larger effect on performance in the 5GHz band than the 2.4GHz band. Since you mentioned you "changed it to 80MHz" I'm inferring you're using the 5GHz band.

As @stevezissou mentioned it's probably best to get a baseline on a wired client and go from there.
Hard wire testing its about 830mbps up and down with Cat6 running into a USB-C adapter. Standing right next to the UDM with my MacBook gets about 350down and 550+ up. I turned off threat management completely and it appears that turning detect and block on and setting sensitivity to maximum is about a 25mbps penalty on both wired and wireless. No packet loss that I can tell and jitter is <1ms. It seems very stable so I am not complaining there. Also 250mbps up and down is completely usable.

Couple thoughts are it's currently on a wire shelf which I suppose could cause some issue. Even if I move it into the media box which is plastic, that shelf will come into play somewhat I would think. It's going through 2 walls about 15 feet from the UDM to my desk where I am testing. I wish I could hardwire my office but that would be a super pain in the ass probably.

How directional are the UDMs?

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Hard wire testing its about 830mbps up and down with Cat6 running into a USB-C adapter. Standing right next to the UDM with my MacBook gets about 350down and 550+ up. I turned off threat management completely and it appears that turning detect and block on and setting sensitivity to maximum is about a 25mbps penalty on both wired and wireless. No packet loss that I can tell and jitter is <1ms. It seems very stable so I am not complaining there. Also 250mbps up and down is completely usable.

Couple thoughts are it's currently on a wire shelf which I suppose could cause some issue. Even if I move it into the media box which is plastic, that shelf will come into play somewhat I would think. It's going through 2 walls about 15 feet from the UDM to my desk where I am testing. I wish I could hardwire my office but that would be a super pain in the ass probably.

How directional are the UDMs?
disable 2.4ghz radio and only 1 SSID see what wifi speeds are

More than 1 SSID slows you down
2 radios on at once slows you down
Turn off all analyzing/security/packet shaping to see what best case scenario is.

Reactions: Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder

Jun 28, 2001
disable 2.4ghz radio and only 1 SSID see what wifi speeds are

More than 1 SSID slows you down
2 radios on at once slows you down
Turn off all analyzing/security/packet shaping to see what best case scenario is.
I turned off the 2.4 and saw some improvement. Most significant on the upload speed. Gained about 150mbps.

Wonder if my router that is running in another room from another ISP is causing problem :bowrofl::o :uh:

I am not good at computer plumb.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
I turned off the 2.4 and saw some improvement. Most significant on the upload speed. Gained about 150mbps.

Wonder if my router that is running in another room from another ISP is causing problem :bowrofl::o :uh:

I am not good at computer plumb.
WAT

WHY ARE YOU RUNNING TWO WIFI ROUTERS IN THE SAME HOUSE?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandy Lyle