UaJ3M6X.jpg
sjsGXIF.jpg

Platinum_Thunder

Reliability for life and liberty
Jun 28, 2001
ok like bro come on.

Unplug all other wifi routers
don't turn on your microwave
don't have 10+ devices hitting your wifi at once.

How's everything going now?
Ok quick update.

Other ISP router turned off :rofl:
2.4ghz turned off and everything on 5ghz. I don't think we have anything that is 2.4ghz exclusive so this should not be an issue.
Threat management turned up 100%

Consistently getting ~380mbps down/425mbps up on test device through wireless. Obviously the 2.4ghz and other router were causing interference. This is a very usable speed and I can live with it.

The UDM itself with how I configured it has solved a coverage gap directly behind my house and directly in front of my house which is great.
I have a one weak spot in the house which I hope a Beacon HD can help out with temporarily until I can a hardwire AP rigged up.
MacMini is shit for wireless and I wish I could hard wire it :o

I appreciate the help of @stevezissou @jsilas and @phat🐄 to get my dialed in. Looking forward to learning more about the Unifi system.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Ok quick update.

Other ISP router turned off :rofl:
2.4ghz turned off and everything on 5ghz. I don't think we have anything that is 2.4ghz exclusive so this should not be an issue.
Threat management turned up 100%

Consistently getting ~380mbps down/425mbps up on test device through wireless. Obviously the 2.4ghz and other router were causing interference. This is a very usable speed and I can live with it.

The UDM itself with how I configured it has solved a coverage gap directly behind my house and directly in front of my house which is great.
I have a one weak spot in the house which I hope a Beacon HD can help out with temporarily until I can a hardwire AP rigged up.
MacMini is shit for wireless and I wish I could hard wire it :o

I appreciate the help of @stevezissou @jsilas and @phat🐄 to get my dialed in. Looking forward to learning more about the Unifi system.
Glad to help bro, we have all been there!

You can look at USBA > Ethernet or USBC > Ethernet adapters if you want to get that mac mini off of wifi.

Just make sure the adapter works on macs. There are a ton on amazon.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
went back to my friends house and updated his two unifi switches and cloud key to the latest and greatest firmware. we had to work on other stuff so i didn't have time to test wifi, but that is next on my list when i go over there.

with everything up to date, the new unifi OS doesn't show as many settings/insights as the old OS, i can't figure out how to get to the 'classic' OS, but i didn't spend much time on the unifi stuff. with that being said, one of the alerts is '3rd party AP detected for 'insert SSID here' which is his guest SSID and it is a unique guest ssid. i still think his a/v guys are using some type of 'repeater' or built their own wireless SSID for their equipment and matched his guest SSID, but i can't track it down. when i turn off all of his APs the guest SSID is not broadcasting at all which is when i change my mind about the a/v guys having done something odd.

the really strange thing is that i know this a/v company and i also do side work for one of their other clients where they installed unifi and that client also shows 'rogue' APs in the alerts view. i've done many unifi installs and i've never seen rogue ap listed in any of my installs. seems very strange to me that the two clients these a/v guys have done installs for are both showing 'rogue ap' in the alerts view. i really hope it is something simple, but i've done all the basic troubleshooting i know. when i first looked at this issue i couldn't even find the manufacturer of the MAC address to see if that would at least give me a vendor/brand name to look for.

i bring this up because i think it could be an issue when trying to test his crappy wireless performance issue, if that is part of the problem and i can't locate the issue, then troubleshooting wireless performance seems like it may be worthless.

Last edited:

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
went back to my friends house and updated his two unifi switches and cloud key to the latest and greatest firmware. we had to work on other stuff so i didn't have time to test wifi, but that is next on my list when i go over there.

with everything up to date, the new unifi OS doesn't show as many settings/insights as the old OS, i can't figure out how to get to the 'classic' OS, but i didn't spend much time on the unifi stuff. with that being said, one of the alerts is '3rd party AP detected for 'insert SSID here' which is his guest SSID and it is a unique guest ssid. i still think his a/v guys are using some type of 'repeater' or built their own wireless SSID for their equipment and matched his guest SSID, but i can't track it down. when i turn off all of his APs the guest SSID is not broadcasting at all which is when i change my mind about the a/v guys having done something odd.

the really strange thing is that i know this a/v company and i also do side work for one of their other clients where they installed unifi and that client also shows 'rouge' APs in the alerts view. i've done many unifi installs and i've never seen rouge ap listed in any of my installs. seems very strange to me that the two clients these a/v guys have done installs for are both showing 'rouge ap' in the alerts view. i really hope it is something simple, but i've done all the basic troubleshooting i know. when i first looked at this issue i couldn't even find the manufacturer of the MAC address to see if that would at least give me a vendor/brand name to look for.

i bring this up because i think it could be an issue when trying to test his crappy wireless performance issue, if that is part of the problem and i can't locate the issue, then troubleshooting wireless performance seems like it may be worthless.
you said broadcasting earlier. you mean seeing it on the SSID list?

could have been a hidden SSID. never mind seeing it on the list and see if actually associates;

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US

the really strange thing is that i know this a/v company and i also do side work for one of their other clients where they installed unifi and that client also shows 'rouge' APs in the alerts view. i've done many unifi installs and i've never seen rouge ap listed in any of my installs. seems very strange to me that the two clients these a/v guys have done installs for are both showing 'rouge ap' in the alerts view. i really hope it is something simple, but i've done all the basic troubleshooting i know. when i first looked at this issue i couldn't even find the manufacturer of the MAC address to see if that would at least give me a vendor/brand name to look for.

Can almost guarantee the problem is in those off brand AP's.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Can almost guarantee the problem is in those off brand AP's.

we just don't know of any other APs on the property. this is the strangest thing. part of me thinks the a/v company has some type of ad-hoc wifi setup and they didn't configure it properly and instead of them setting it up to connect to wifi, they did the opposite and are broadcasting out the same name SSID. even then, the mac address on their equipment doesn't match the mac address unifi is listing as the rogue AP.

Last edited:
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
you said broadcasting earlier. you mean seeing it on the SSID list?

could have been a hidden SSID. never mind seeing it on the list and see if actually associates;

unifi controller alerts are saying there is a 'rogue AP' detected. the old controller firmware it said rogue AP, the new unifi controller firmware/unifo OS says 3rd party AP detected and it lists the SSID in question on the unifi controller log page.

Last edited:

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
unifi controller alerts are saying there is a 'rouge AP' detected. the old controller firmware it said rouge AP, the new unifi controller firmware/unifo OS says 3rd party AP detected and it lists the SSID in question on the unifi controller log page.
They just "mirrored" the same SSID I bet.

Take those POS AP's out of the scenario.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
you need the MAC of the rogue unit. it could be a duplicate channel of the ubiquti group, or an orphaned device, or an actual duplicate

i have it, it was listed in the old unifi interface, but the new interface just says 3rd party.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
whats the uptime when that happens?

i have no idea if anything negative is happening as i'm not in site when he complains of slowness. it may not be doing anything at all. i think he has too many APs, he has 6. he isn't very tech savvy, i showed him how to check which AP he is on when things are slow, but he never does. that's why i want to go over there and shut off all APs and just test speeds with one AP at a time just to rule out interference.

also, i SSHed into al the APs and ran ifconfig to see if any of the other MACs match the one i saw on the old unifi controller and they didn't match which is why i don't think it is another radio in the APs.

the a/v guys are great with their a/v stuff, but they aren't the best with networking/wireless they think more APs are better. sure, maybe if it was a very large house with lots of dead spots, but 6 is a lot for this house. it is a big house, but 6 is a lot.

Dazed1

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2005
Bay area
maybe this was temporary, and maybe because it was all "out of the box". I plugged in the UDM this weekend to my at&T gateway. Great speeds (900 up / down) when doing the speed test directly on the UDM SE. However, I plugged in the in-wall HD AP directly to the switch and the AP WiFi 6 pro. Signal strength, sitting about 10' away, weak. Speeds, weak.

I did not disconnect my amplifi devices. Everything is running as-is out of the box.
I setup the rack today, will wall mount it and start racking the systems. Hoping to remove the amplifi stuff later this week.

Where should I start with settings / optimization of the UDM se + AP's?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost