TECH ubiquiti wifi crew

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
is there a good windows application to scan for wireless and detect SSIDs/MACs/etc?

also, i think unifi got rid of the list that shows nearby APs or i can't find it in their new GUI.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I think the setting you’re looking for may be under the Insights tab
that's where it was on the legacy interface, i think the new interface doesn't have as many options, checking again.

edit- ok it is there, i see what they did, they have the wifi scan at the top of that page and the nearby APs are on the bottom half of the page. before the APs had their own dropdown selection in the upper left along with other options.

thanks.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
maybe this was temporary, and maybe because it was all "out of the box". I plugged in the UDM this weekend to my at&T gateway. Great speeds (900 up / down) when doing the speed test directly on the UDM SE. However, I plugged in the in-wall HD AP directly to the switch and the AP WiFi 6 pro. Signal strength, sitting about 10' away, weak. Speeds, weak.

I did not disconnect my amplifi devices. Everything is running as-is out of the box.
I setup the rack today, will wall mount it and start racking the systems. Hoping to remove the amplifi stuff later this week.

Where should I start with settings / optimization of the UDM se + AP's?
Amplifi and UDM aren't compatible.

You need to unplug amplifi system and just run UDM SE and the (non amplifi) access points.

Reactions: Dazed1

Vilnius

Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard.
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
Toronto
Finally put down the floor in my computer room:

UaJ3M6X.jpg
sjsGXIF.jpg

Rubber flooring?

I have the exact same floor in my fitness room.

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell
Rubber flooring?

I have the exact same floor in my fitness room.
Yep. Rubber made sense to me because all the reviews of the printed vinyl wood look flooring basically indicated it was crap and the rubber is a nice electrical insulator, so… Voila.

also, super comfy to stand on if I’m working on the rack.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
i don't game a lot, i play 1-2 games with a friend a few times a week usually 1-2 hours before bed. when we play NHL 22 it feels extremely laggy on my end and i can't get any momentum in the game, the best way to explain it is latency. this was before i learned about bufferbloat (also posted the link in whatever's tmobile 5g thread). maybe 1 in 20 games it feels fine like there is no lag. many years ago it never felt this way and many years ago i wasn't using pfsense where i currently live. anyway, i never thought that it was my pfsense router (or the pfsense OS itself) causing this because i don't notice this lag in COD. many times in COD i have great rounds and finish first it really seems to only be an issue with the NHL games over the last 3 years or so.

the only way to really find out is to change out the router and run this test with a new router to see if the issue really is with pfsense.

i think a few in here use pfsense, if so, can you run this test and tell me your score?

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
for pfsense users

i'm going to try this and see if it helps.

older video, but probably very similar if not the same screens if pfsense is using an updated version from what is in the video.

@whatever

just went from an F to an A by adding those rules, it is nice having that much granular control with pfsense. however, the speed is slower with these rules and you'll see the before/after results don't have checks like i thought they would have with an A grade.

before adding rules
kgvnnML.png

with added pfsense rules
BETNQnY.png

Reactions: stevezissou

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
@whatever

just went from an F to an A by adding those rules, it is nice having that much granular control with pfsense. however, the speed is slower with these rules and you'll see the before/after results don't have checks like i thought they would have with an A grade.

before adding rules
fixing link

with added pfsense rules
fixing link

the tmobile unit aint got SHIT for settings i can config on it.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
speed test results are cut in half, but i'm going to mess with the 1000 value in the rules, seems that value needs to be tweaked based on up/down speeds. forgot about that.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
the tmobile unit aint got SHIT for settings i can config on it.

i know, that will be limited, then again, so are the ubiquiti routers. i doubt you can do this in there, but you also may not need to. since your only ISP is the 5g, you can't test w/o the 5g unit being in the link.

Reactions: whatever
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
tweaking the queue length improved my speed tests and i have checks on everything in both columns on the waveform test except low latency gaming, that's still a caution triangle and that's the only thing i'm trying to fix :rofl:

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
:rofl:

still get the caution triangle.

Your internet connection is fast enough to support low latency gaming, but you may experience intermittent issues due to bufferbloat.

wtf.

also, the highest speed i saw before adding the rules was 220 down, haven't seen that since adding these rules and i have been tweaking the queue values.

LGxvXY8.png

Last edited:
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
tweaked a bit more, got an A+ but can't get that caution triangle to go away under low latency gaming. it could also be the bufferbloat test site, i ran a few more tests and the unloaded ms time was around 13-15ms. also, i'm running the test from a wireless connection, i'll test on wired in a few minutes. gaming is wired and not wireless.

3mXYfcb.png

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
speed was much higher w/o these rules, that is still bothering me. this does feel like it is 'limiting' my connection which is the name of the pfsense setting.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
bye bye caution triangle

Bb191GU.png

hard wired connection. the only thing that bothers me a little is the speed test, but i'll need to see if this actually improves anything.

edit- speed issue resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: TenSteel

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
i don't game a lot, i play 1-2 games with a friend a few times a week usually 1-2 hours before bed. when we play NHL 22 it feels extremely laggy on my end and i can't get any momentum in the game, the best way to explain it is latency. this was before i learned about bufferbloat (also posted the link in whatever's tmobile 5g thread). maybe 1 in 20 games it feels fine like there is no lag. many years ago it never felt this way and many years ago i wasn't using pfsense where i currently live. anyway, i never thought that it was my pfsense router (or the pfsense OS itself) causing this because i don't notice this lag in COD. many times in COD i have great rounds and finish first it really seems to only be an issue with the NHL games over the last 3 years or so.

the only way to really find out is to change out the router and run this test with a new router to see if the issue really is with pfsense.

i think a few in here use pfsense, if so, can you run this test and tell me your score?

Interesting

Never heard of buffer bloat. I’ll try it with my Ubiquti router and see if I have the same problem.

Reactions: TomDlgns
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Interesting

Never heard of buffer bloat. I’ll try it with my Ubiquti router and see if I have the same problem.

it was odd behavior, it just seemed like everything i did in the game was off. the best way to describe it is playing a game on a screen that doesn't have a 'game' mode, and the frame rate/refresh rate/etc whatever you want to call it, adds delay. i know that's not the case with the TV i have because it does have a game mode and COD is fine on this console/TV, but the NHL game was just off. every play i tried to make felt off. now that i think about it, the MLB game also seemed off (latency) as well. i kept googling latency gaming with pfsense and that's how i found buffer bloat.

like i stated, i don't have any issues with streaming/wifi calling/facetime/teams/webex/etc....0 issues at all. meaning, i never had a reason to look into this 'bufferbloat' stuff.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
also, i figured out the speed test issue....with the pfsense limiter rules i set the download to 200, which is my actual speed, but comcast has burst speeds and when i set that option to 200 it must never max out past 200, so i changed it to 250 and the download speed improved. last one i ran hit about 230 Mbps.

Reactions: TenSteel

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Er ko kary