UK Court Blocks Julian Assange Extradition to US

TS
TS
Miesha Taint

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
They don’t want to turn him over to a Russian compromised country.
There is a principle in international law, called non-refoulement, that asserts that it is unlawful to compel asylum seekers and refugees to return to jurisdictions where they will suffer cruel and inhuman treatment. This argument, as Assange and his supporters have adapted it to his case, assumes not only that indicting him is unjust but also that the American judicial process is so broken that a trial can only result in persecution.

:hmm:

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
I support the aim to 'draw back the curtain' aspect of WikiLeaks but the fact they just dumped it all on the web without any sort of curation probably got a lot of people killed. Edward Snowden seems a more thoughtful example of info release.

TS
TS
Miesha Taint

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
I've held security clearances in the past. I take that stuff seriously.
the UK National Union of Journalists and Reporters Without Borders came out in support of Assange today

they and many others take press freedom very seriously

Assange notwithstanding, how do we balance investigative journalism with what's been commonly called a "war on whistleblowers?"

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
the UK National Union of Journalists and Reporters Without Borders came out in support of Assange today

they and many others take press freedom very seriously

Assange notwithstanding, how do we balance investigative journalism with what's been commonly called a "war on whistleblowers?"
I dont really consider what he did to be whistleblowing, he just dumped a ton of classified material onto the web.

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
the "collateral murder" video, and afghan/iraq war log leaks documenting previously unreported numbers of civilian casualties is textbook whistleblowing by any definition

cablegate is where it gets a little hazy for me
Right. One big problem is that he didnt curate, or limit himself to something specific like that which we might consider honest whistleblowing. He released protected health info, social security numbers, agents names, thousands of compromising diplomatic cables, and troves of other material that wouldnt really fit under a whistleblowing definition.

TS
TS
Miesha Taint

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
Right. One big problem is that he didnt curate, or limit himself to something specific like that which we might consider honest whistleblowing. He release protected health info, social security numbers, agents names, thousands of compromising diplomatic cables and troves of other material that wouldnt really fit under a whistleblowing definition.
yes and no

there was a progression where he did a little bit of both, starting with curated releases early on

as it became clear that he was being prosecuted whether or not the leaks were curated, he abandoned journalistic ethics and began releasing them wholesale

this certainly made the government's case stronger, but that was never the sticking point for them originally

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan