TECH UMPCs as an internet laptop?

frinky23

Bangle Sackrider
Sep 10, 2002
Prestigious Cook County
I am looking for an inexpensive laptop replacement for my wife. It will be used for internet surfing, email, and maybe some light word processing. No games, no programming, no scientific analysis, etc.

I was looking at the new Lenovo S10 @ $400. I think it will work just fine, but haven't used any UMPCs. What about some other "normal" laptops that are in the $400 range? Suggestions?

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
I wouldn't get anything with a screen less than 15.4". My work laptop has a small screen and I hate doing anything on it unless I have a monitor hooked up. This is me, others are fine with tiny screens.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I've used as small as 13" and it's quite easy to read. It depends on the screen resolution more than anything else.

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
if you are just using it to mess around with the internet on the go, then most of these are probably going to be fine to use. i've grown accustomed to browsing the web on a Blackberry and iPhone screen, so 13" would be simple.

i would not, however, get one as a multi purpose laptop unless it has the ability to plug in a regular keyboard/monitor/mouse along with a decent resolution.

piratepenguin

Jun 18, 2006
Ireland
if you are just using it to mess around with the internet on the go, then most of these are probably going to be fine to use. i've grown accustomed to browsing the web on a Blackberry and iPhone screen, so 13" would be simple.

i would not, however, get one as a multi purpose laptop unless it has the ability to plug in a regular keyboard/monitor/mouse along with a decent resolution.
but you can do that.

this is what i want: a (ultra) mobile laptop (as in small, good battery life, and wireless including hsdpa/3g for mobile broadband (im still waiting)), but I still need to get work done. I need a big monitor to hook it up to (got it) and a keyboard mouse and speakers setup in my room.. but all laptops can do that anyhow.

Infact there needs to be docking stations for these subnotebooks on the market or coming soon.

nucklearknight

Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco, California
but you can do that.

this is what i want: a (ultra) mobile laptop (as in small, good battery life, and wireless including hsdpa/3g for mobile broadband (im still waiting)), but I still need to get work done. I need a big monitor to hook it up to (got it) and a keyboard mouse and speakers setup in my room.. but all laptops can do that anyhow.

Infact there needs to be docking stations for these subnotebooks on the market or coming soon.
Yeah you can plug them into a monitor and keyboard via usb and get a bluetooth mouse for when it's at home.
There's also a difference between a sub notebook (netbook) and an ultra mobile PC. UM is like a Macbook Air and a netbook is like a Eee Pc.

Limp_Brisket

Jan 2, 2006
Utah
if you're gettin a netbook, just make sure it has a 6 cell battery. other than that it's kind of personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448