ART Underwater photography. Or why your photos are always blue.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Interesting...let's just say I have a lil' something in store, just need to find a model and a sick pool and wah-lah.

Ikelite + UK Underwater Light = winning!

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Looked into underwater strobes and they're wayyyyy too much. Was hoping pop-up flash would work with the Ikelight but it's literally about 1/2" too small so commander mode won't work (was hoping to fire/trigger at least 1 speedlight in a waterproof encasing). Pissed but we'll see how this heavy ass flashlight/flood light works.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I used to work for Sealife Cameras... Pretty cool shit... Had to get scuba certified and got to run around playing with the older version of this:

dc1200maxx2.jpg

Good times.

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
I used to work for Sealife Cameras... Pretty cool shit... Had to get scuba certified and got to run around playing with the older version of this:

dc1200maxx2.jpg

Good times.

no shit.. I actually use one of their older strobes for my underwater rig..

it is VERY expensive to get into underwater photography.. but with some luck and messing around with every setting possible, you can get some decent pics:

IMG_0827.jpg

need a second strobe to improve on this one.. :o
IMG_0860.jpg

I'm planning on setting up a new underwater rig, i just need to figure out what camera and how i'll get it to work with a couple of cheap strobes..

once you start with a dslr and an underwater housing you are talking about $3-4k REAL quick.. (housing, tray, arms, strobes, ttl adapters, etc...)

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
here is a pic i took with a sealife dc600:

PICT0029.jpg

Width 2472
Height 1760
File Size 5428568
Camera SeaLife
Model DC600
ISO 50
Exposure 1/60 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 5mm
Flash Used true
White Balance 1
Metering Mode 2
Exposure Program 2
Exposure Bias 0.0

the camera is a complete POS, but some how, some way it takes decent pics underwater..

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
I forgot you did the underwater stuff on your honeymoon.

Here's what I got bur rather than deep sea stuff, I'll just be in a pool shooting a model/couple as soon as I can arrange everything.

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/UKTD8SP.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=UKTD8SPBK

uktd8sp.jpg

Bitch is HEAVY. Takes 8 D batteries!

I have 2 of the 4 D battery versions.. decent light.. but it is VERY yellow (at least the one I have is)

no matter how powerful your strobe is, underwater it won't travel very far.. the ones that do are VERY expensive..

the on-camera flash ruins pics underwater, its only use is to fire the optical slaves..

I have been messing with underwater photography since I started diving, just haven't had the money to invest in gear.

This all might be changing in the start of the new year, it is looking like i'll be getting a job on an island. Which means i'll have to drop cars as a hobby and get even more into photography, including underwater photography. So yeah, i'll probably be investing in a new setup within the next 6 months. :bigthumb:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I have 2 of the 4 D battery versions.. decent light.. but it is VERY yellow (at least the one I have is)

no matter how powerful your strobe is, underwater it won't travel very far.. the ones that do are VERY expensive..

the on-camera flash ruins pics underwater, its only use is to fire the optical slaves..

I have been messing with underwater photography since I started diving, just haven't had the money to invest in gear.

This all might be changing in the start of the new year, it is looking like i'll be getting a job on an island. Which means i'll have to drop cars as a hobby and get even more into photography, including underwater photography. So yeah, i'll probably be investing in a new setup within the next 6 months. :bigthumb:

Ya, the HID underwater lights are pretty damn spendy...I figured for $90 and having a relatively powerful light, this should work, plus it's an experiment.

As mentioned, I just wish the Ikelite case I have (using it with a D70) had enough room to let the pop-up flash fire, which it doesn't. Sucks balls!

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
Ya, the HID underwater lights are pretty damn spendy...I figured for $90 and having a relatively powerful light, this should work, plus it's an experiment.

As mentioned, I just wish the Ikelite case I have (using it with a D70) had enough room to let the pop-up flash fire, which it doesn't. Sucks balls!

it would ruin any picture you used it for.. but it could be used to fire an optical slave...

how much was the ikelite case for the d70?

all of the canon cases no matter the brand are around 1200-2000.. :o

koolaids

OH YEAH
Jul 21, 2006
i want to use one of these things in a pool
DH3_7869_Dicapac_WP-S10_Nov_09.jpg

and have strobes firing from above the water into the pool

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
it would ruin any picture you used it for.. but it could be used to fire an optical slave...

how much was the ikelite case for the d70?

all of the canon cases no matter the brand are around 1200-2000.. :o

I wouldn't actually use the on-camera flash for anything other to fire speedlights, but since it can't do it, doesn't matter anyway. I actually got it locally for a steal...got the D70 with it for a lot less than what I should've paid (the case is mint and sells for $1000 used even for an older D70). I just need to quit talking about it and use the damn thing.

i want to use one of these things in a pool
DH3_7869_Dicapac_WP-S10_Nov_09.jpg

and have strobes firing from above the water into the pool

That looks pretty sweet and more importantly INEXPENSIVE! As long as it does the trick, you could fire flashes underwater or it might even accommodate a TT1 or trigger on top. Sick! What brand is it?

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
how else do you trigger strobes underwater?

there are ttl controls that work with housings..

I believe there is another way to trigger optical strobes using a dslr housing that doesn't allow the on-camera flash, but I'm not sure what it is..

those cheap "bags" might work in a pool.. however I wouldn't trust them deeper than 6-10 feet.. especially with a $2000 piece of equipment depending on them. :o

koolaids

OH YEAH
Jul 21, 2006
if strobes don't travel very far underwater
how would you use the pop up flash to trigger the others?
wouldn't they have to be very close?

the brand of that bag is 'dipac'

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
if strobes don't travel very far underwater
how would you use the pop up flash to trigger the others?
wouldn't they have to be very close?

the brand of that bag is 'dipac'

fiber optic cable gets mounted to the housing directly in front of the on-board flash.. when the on-camera flash goes off, the fiber cable triggers the strobes.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor