TECH Underwhelmed by the iPad 2?

The1Ash10

Oct 10, 2002
ATX
I don't see much of a reason to upgrade. Yes, the dual-core ARM processor would be nice to have, but I'm fine without it for now. Additionally, I have absolutely no use for a rear facing camera. I really don't know why anyone would...

Pepe

Apr 11, 2009
8 Mile
typical

upgrade some stuff, have a big event, sell a shit ton of them, upgrade some more stuff, have a big event, sell a shit ton of them....

if you haven't figured that out yet...

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
they made some minor changes and it's still far and away the best tablet on the market AND for the best price :dunno:

what more could you really want?

retina display needs too much ram / power at this point. it'll be ready next year.

I'm considering a 2, but I'm pretty sure I'll wait for the 3.

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
I'm considering a 2, but I'm pretty sure I'll wait for the 3.

I'm thinking the same thing. It took me until the 3GS to pick up an iPhone, so I'll be right on track by picking up the iPad 3 at right around the same time I replace my phone with an iPhone 5 or 6. My macbook will have served out its useful life by then too, I'm sure... but with the iPad 3 I'm hoping it will have enough power and capacity to replace a laptop entirely.

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
I've had all iPhones except 3GS, I think I might have been deployed for that one. With iPhones you can sell them for the price of an upgrade, just extend your contract, which I have no problem with. Not quite the same for an iPad.

Jonny Chimpo

Dec 20, 2003
Hell
great for first time buyers, not great for current owners.

same as the iPhone 1 to iPhone 3G. It was better to wait for the 3GS.

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
Why would it be awkward with a tablet? That makes no sense.

I agree, way too awkward with a tablet. You gonna whip out your huge fucking tablet at the register? Shit, I'd be embarrassed for you. It works better with a phone because it's always with you (iPhone 5 :x:).

Same thing with the whole rear camera on the iPad2. Shit's so fucking stupid. Let me hold this huge fucking thing and take a pic. :ugh2:

Vaytan

Aug 31, 2003
Wpg
I am upgrading ! But the only reason is I am selling my 1 st gen to a friend for 350 , if he did not want it I would not upgrade.

The main thing I like it is how thin it is. Might be better....

TheWeasel

I agree, way too awkward with a tablet. You gonna whip out your huge fucking tablet at the register? Shit, I'd be embarrassed for you. It works better with a phone because it's always with you (iPhone 5 :x:).

Same thing with the whole rear camera on the iPad2. Shit's so fucking stupid. Let me hold this huge fucking thing and take a pic. :ugh2:

I generally agree with the rear camera statements. Suppose it's one of those deals where, why the hell not? Even if you don't use it, who cares. Had they left it out, people would be bitching about the iPad 2 not having a rear facing camera and how stupid it was to leave it out. I guess with iMovie on the iPad 2 also, people may make use of it rather than filming something with their iPhone and then transferring it to the iPad 2 to work on it in iMovie. I'm sure you'd find some use for the camera, just not as much as with the iPhone where it's in a much smaller package and with a device you bring with you everywhere you go.

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
I generally agree with the rear camera statements. Suppose it's one of those deals where, why the hell not? Even if you don't use it, who cares. Had they left it out, people would be bitching about the iPad 2 not having a rear facing camera and how stupid it was to leave it out. I guess with iMovie on the iPad 2 also, people may make use of it rather than filming something with their iPhone and then transferring it to the iPad 2 to work on it in iMovie. I'm sure you'd find some use for the camera, just not as much as with the iPhone where it's in a much smaller package and with a device you bring with you everywhere you go.

I agree with the why not reasoning. But I will still laugh at anyone I see taking pictures with one.

Antigeek

Who Dat!
Feb 9, 2005
Abita Springs, LA
I am upgrading ! But the only reason is I am selling my 1 st gen to a friend for 350 , if he did not want it I would not upgrade.

The main thing I like it is how thin it is. Might be better....
I'm doing the same thing. A secretary here wants mine, so I'll sell it to her Monday for $350 and get the new one at the end of the week.

TheWeasel

I agree with the why not reasoning. But I will still laugh at anyone I see taking pictures with one.

If I'm sitting around using the iPad and something comes up that I want a picture of, sure I'll snap it quick but I wouldn't pull it out of my bag to take a picture rather than just getting my iPhone out.

Could be easier to hold still while shooting video rather than an iPhone though and better chance you won't block the mic.

Matt550

Apr 21, 2001
Littleton Colorado
How do the 3G data plans work? If I sign up for the $25 2gb a month, do I get charged everymonth just like the data plan on my phone? Or do I buy the 2gb and once I use that I buy another 2gb? So if I don't use alot of 3G I can make it last a few months.

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
if someone gave me one, i would enjoy it. however i have no need for one because i have a 13" mbp and an ipod touch 4th Gen

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
How do the 3G data plans work? If I sign up for the $25 2gb a month, do I get charged everymonth just like the data plan on my phone? Or do I buy the 2gb and once I use that I buy another 2gb? So if I don't use alot of 3G I can make it last a few months.

Every month just like the data plan on your phone. Th 2GB is your limit, go beyond that and you get charged an additional $10 for another 1GB and so forth. It's a fucking rip-off IMO. I'm already giving AT&T enough money on data plans as it is (3 iPhones on my family account). I'd stick with the wifi only.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor