United Airlines passenger died of Covid-19 inflight

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

Passenger Who Had Medical Emergency on Flight Died of Covid-19, Coroner Says
The episode in Louisiana raised concerns about the risks travelers face, even with heightened safety precautions in place.

A coroner in Louisiana confirmed on Tuesday what some had feared: that the death last week of a 69-year-old man who experienced a medical emergency aboard a United Airlines flight bound for Los Angeles had been caused by Covid-19.

The coroner’s office in Jefferson Parish identified the passenger as Isais Hernandez, 69, of Los Angeles, who was on United Flight 591 when it took off from Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 14.

The episode prompted alarm after social media reports at the time indicated that the man’s wife had told emergency medical workers that her husband had tested positive for the coronavirus.

At the time, United and medical professionals said they had not known that Mr. Hernandez had Covid-19. The airline did say that the man’s wife had been overheard telling an emergency worker that her husband had symptoms of Covid-19, including loss of taste and smell.

While in the air, Mr. Hernandez experienced a medical emergency; several passengers and flight attendants administered aid to him as the flight was diverted to New Orleans.

When the flight landed, Mr. Hernandez was taken to Ochsner Medical Center-Kenner, where he died just after 9 p.m., according to the coroner’s report, which said the cause of death was “acute respiratory failure, Covid-19.”
United said that when the passenger had checked in for the flight, he attested, as part of a “Ready-to-Fly” checklist, that he had not tested positive for the coronavirus and did not have symptoms of Covid-19.

Charlie Hobart, a spokesman for United Airlines, said on Tuesday that he was not aware of any other passengers’ or crew members’ having tested positive for Covid-19 since the episode. He also said the airline had not known of Mr. Hernandez’s possible Covid exposure until after the flight left New Orleans.
“At the time of the incident, we were told by medical professionals that this was a cardiac arrest incident,” Mr. Hobart said in an interview. “Only later did it become apparent that this customer may have been suffering from symptoms of Covid-19.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/...on=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending

• Haha
Reactions: Nom
TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Last night, myself, my wife and 4 of our children flew back from MCO to LAX. About two hours into the flight a passenger sitting at 28D had stopped from breathing and the crew called for a medical personal onboard to help. The crew and a few volunteers came to help and dragged the non breathing man to the floor to perform CPR and necessary medical care. For the next 45 minutes they try their best to give life to the man . My family and I were seated at row 25 ABC and 27 ABC, we tried hard to distract the eyes of our kids from seeing this situation, but it was impossible, my children were terrified seeing a medical treatment on a man no longer alive right in front of their eyes. I do not wish this on any child in the world to go through the trauma which they experienced last night.

It took 45 min for the plane to arrive at MSY for the paramedic to come to the plane and remove the man. Once the paramedics arrived, the crew and the volunteers reported the condition of the passenger stating that he had no pulse for the last 38 min and added that he has Covid since his family member traveling with him stated that the man had lost his sense of smell and taste for the last four days.

While the crew’s care and dedication for the passenger was done efficiently, some can strongly argue that United had failed to prevent a known Covid patient from boarding the plane. But undoubtedly the crew definitely failed from preventing the trauma for the very young children sitting right next to the man. Perhaps moving the man to the front or back of the plane would have helped avoiding the kid’s trauma? but this is not the point of my letter.

The point of my letter is to expose United systematically misleading their travelers. United is promising to take the extra step (CleanPlus) to ensure the safety of the travelers from Covid19. As soon as the (dead?) passenger was dragged out of the plane, I was expecting that we would all come off the plane and a special crew would get on with special equipment to disinfect the plane. After all, United proudly demonstrate on their website an antimicrobial technology robot and Ultraviolet C (UVC) lighting which can professionally disinfect the plane. But NO! Instead, a lady wearing white t-shirt (not sure if she is a staff member since there was no uniform or badge) came with a bunch of wipes and wiped the passenger seat and that was all!!

Passengers have been promised that United planes are professionally disinfected even without a confirmed Covid Passenger. But now, in front of my eyes, when a confirmed Covid patient was treated for 45min all over the floor and has been dragged while his hand touching every single seat on his left side, the plane is being cleaned by few wipes? United promises an ultra safe environment using “state-of-the-art” equipment, and in reality treated the infected plane worse than a 3rd world country airliner.

We arrived home after a long Journey. But since we felt that the plane was completely infested with Covid19, myself, my wife and our 4 children will have to quarantine for 14 days. Since our kids are still in school (private school) they will have to miss now 14 days of education and interactions with their friends and family simply because United had failed to clean their plane.

This situation placed my entire family in a trauma but most importantly United had placed my family in danger. We’re very worried that we caught the virus from the infected plane and I’m deeply concerned about my family’s physical and mental health status. the damages already took place and unfortunately not reversible. However I believe that each of us are entitled to serious compensation for the situation which United placed upon us, and I’m giving a chance for United to take responsibility and act quickly to solve this issue directly with us. I feel that $20K payout per family member can minimize the trauma and health risk which was imposed on us. And I’m sure that United will do the right thing. However, if I feel that my concerns were not addressed properly, I will first take the story to the social media and I’m sure that this story will be trending way more than the latest story of United removing the family of the 2 year old who refused to wear a mask. And lastly I will not hesitate to take it further to a lawsuit. But again, I’m trying to be fair here and asking United to address my case with responsibility and care.

TS
TS
phat🐄

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
think about how many people that dont die/have symptoms and youre traveling next to them :nope:
not flying til i get the vaccine
the EMT that tried to save him in flight now is experiencing symptoms

• Sad
Reactions: dgr81

hipberri

Jan 27, 2016
would
NINTCHDBPICT000626102746-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448