Unpaid internship with good connections or paid job with probably none?

morrowasted

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
I got offered an unpaid internship as a research assistant at the National Institute of Health. It seems like a really good opportunity to meet people who can help me land better jobs in the future. Seems like it would look really good on a resume. Downside is, it pays nothing. I'd be broker than a joke until July and probably have to take on a couple grand in debt. My job right now pays pretty decent but it's totally dead-end.

wat do OT

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
Can you sustain yourself without income and not put yourself into debt? Can you eschew paying down accrued debts for another few years?

if so do the rich person hustle of the unpaid internship

Freonthewhite

FrEoN
OT Supporter
Oct 22, 2004
New Jersey
the market is shit, keep the paying job and double your efforts finding a better one. People give away too much of themselves in those unpaid positions for others to gain more than them

Reactions: hoody

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
My daughter is in the entertainment biz. She took several unpaid internships.
Its a roll of the dice. Maybe it turns into something, maybe not.
I think its a fucked thing to do to a young person.
Pay them SOMETHING, then hire them if they are appealing.

Good luck.

Reactions: morrowasted
TS
TS
morrowasted

morrowasted

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
Can you sustain yourself without income and not put yourself into debt? Can you eschew paying down accrued debts for another few years?

if so do the rich person hustle of the unpaid internship
I could get by from now to august mostly on savings but I'd probably wind up with 3-4 grand in CC debt depending on unexpected expenses. nothing I couldnt pay off in a few months of starting back to work

the NIH job seems like it could be more exciting. I love research. I know I'd be doing scut work but it still feels nice to be involved in something that feels important

TS
TS
morrowasted

morrowasted

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
the market is shit, keep the paying job and double your efforts finding a better one. People give away too much of themselves in those unpaid positions for others to gain more than them
I'm kind of ambivalent about starting work in a hospital right now. Actually, no I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it just yet. I just finished my nursing degree and got my license in May. For the first 6 weeks of a hospital residency you have to be there M-F 8am-5pm for classroom training and then 3 12s a week after that, and I am still taking several online classes to get a bachelor's as well (eventually want to be an NP). I can't really juggle that schedule. I'll be done with classes in May. The internship lasts until mid July. Hospital cohorts begin in August, so it would be fairly convenient for me to move from one into the next.

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
Liberal Enclave of Darien, CT
My daughter is in the entertainment biz. She took several unpaid internships.
Its a roll of the dice. Maybe it turns into something, maybe not.
I think its a fucked thing to do to a young person.
Pay them SOMETHING, then hire them if they are appealing.

Good luck.
I’m in the entertainment biz and I never left the driveway for less than $750/day

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor