TECH Updating computer / what to do about grahics?

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
My old (~2013) mobo seems to have died during a recent move, so I have ripped it out and gotten a new MSI B550 w/ an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. I'm about to install it; trying to decide what to do about the graphics.

Should I just go with on-board video or re-use a 5 year old GeForce? Any reasons to go one way or another? I feel like re-using the old card will take that (probably minimal) burden off the mobo, but will an older card slow down the system somehow? Not keen on spending more $$$ on this right now unless I have to.
Thanks for any thoughts!

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
Thanks. :) 75% internet. 5% watching movies. 5% GPU-intensive stuff like encoding video. 15% MS Office / work stuff.

Onboard video will use less power, generate less heat, have no fan noise, and be one less thing to break. I doubt your video encoder even uses the GPU. The rest sure doesn't benefit from a video card. Go to videocardbenchmark.net and compare the two.

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Most of the above is helpful, but I just had someone else point out that last year's Ryzen 7 2700 is not compatible with this year's B550 motherboard even though the socket is AM4. So now I'm super irritated and need to figure out which to exchange. :rl:

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Onboard video will use less power, generate less heat, have no fan noise, and be one less thing to break. I doubt your video encoder even uses the GPU. The rest sure doesn't benefit from a video card. Go to videocardbenchmark.net and compare the two.
Ryzen 7 CPUs don't have onboard graphics

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Most of the above is helpful, but I just had someone else point out that last year's Ryzen 7 2700 is not compatible with this year's B550 motherboard even though the socket is AM4. So now I'm super irritated and need to figure out which to exchange. :rl:
Swap the CPU. There is a sizable performance difference between Ryzen 2000 and Ryzen 3000.

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Ryzen 7 CPUs don't have onboard graphics

Swap the CPU. There is a sizable performance difference between Ryzen 2000 and Ryzen 3000.

OK thanks for that, and help me out here. I have always assumed that "on-board" meant "a graphics processor on the motherboard," but based on your comment and some additional reading, at least in this case if the Ryzen doesn't have a "G" then no on-board graphics. Has it ALWAYS been on the CPU or is this a recent change? (For example, my machine that just died had a dual-core Athlon; were the on-board graphics there on the mobo or chip??

Second... I see the L3 cache on the 3xxx is significantly bigger, but what else am I gaining? For the same price I have this 8 core / 3.7GHz 2700+ or the 6 core / 3.8GHz Ryzen 5 3600. Userbenchmark.com gives the 3600 an 8% lead. Or a 13% lead if I get the R7 3800+ for another $70 (assuming I get a full refund on this now-open-box 2700...). Seems like most of the benefit of the extra cores would come with me running VMs vs every-day tasks.

Am I missing anything else here?

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
OK thanks for that, and help me out here. I have always assumed that "on-board" meant "a graphics processor on the motherboard," but based on your comment and some additional reading, at least in this case if the Ryzen doesn't have a "G" then no on-board graphics. Has it ALWAYS been on the CPU or is this a recent change? (For example, my machine that just died had a dual-core Athlon; were the on-board graphics there on the mobo or chip??

Second... I see the L3 cache on the 3xxx is significantly bigger, but what else am I gaining? For the same price I have this 8 core / 3.7GHz 2700+ or the 6 core / 3.8GHz Ryzen 5 3600. Userbenchmark.com gives the 3600 an 8% lead. Or a 13% lead if I get the R7 3800+ for another $70 (assuming I get a full refund on this now-open-box 2700...). Seems like most of the benefit of the extra cores would come with me running VMs vs every-day tasks.

Am I missing anything else here?
Pretty sure with your old board the graphics processor was on the motherboard. With Intel CPUs they started integrating the graphics processor into the CPU die with first gen Core so in 2010 or so. Not sure when AMD switched. I know all the Zen based AMD CPUs that have graphics processors are integrated into the CPU.

Ryzen 3000 has significantly better single threaded performance over Ryzen 2000. How many VMs are you looking at running?

If you can get an R7 3700X they are usually a better buy than than the 3800X if you want 8 cores. Performance between the two is very close.

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Pretty sure with your old board the graphics processor was on the motherboard. With Intel CPUs they started integrating the graphics processor into the CPU die with first gen Core so in 2010 or so. Not sure when AMD switched. I know all the Zen based AMD CPUs that have graphics processors are integrated into the CPU.
Interesting. So I'm not hallucinating. :rofl:

Ryzen 3000 has significantly better single threaded performance over Ryzen 2000. How many VMs are you looking at running?
Depends. Usually none. Sometimes one. Sometimes 2-3. Mostly just one if any. ;)
If you can get an R7 3700X they are usually a better buy than than the 3800X if you want 8 cores. Performance between the two is very close.
I wound up ordering an R5 3600XT. Only $10 more than the R7 2700X and came out almost the same on most benchmarks as the R7 3700X. (Obviously except for things multi-core heavy.)

So. Appreciate the inputs. I also ordered a Refurb'd Radeon RX 570 for $129. Should get me a lot better performance than my older 1GB card.

One thing I need to figure out now... on the old system I would only get BIOS on something hooked up to VGA or DVI, which became annoying when my monitor died and the new one only had HDMI or DisplayPort inputs... Presumably since neither this new B550 Mobo nor the new graphics card has VGA or DVI out, that won't be a limfac... but will it default to one or the other? If I stick with HDMI out am I going to learn that BIOS displays through DP only? This is not addressed in the mobo manual and would make me grumpy.

Reactions: XR250rdr

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Interesting. So I'm not hallucinating. :rofl:

Depends. Usually none. Sometimes one. Sometimes 2-3. Mostly just one if any. ;)

I wound up ordering an R5 3600XT. Only $10 more than the R7 2700X and came out almost the same on most benchmarks as the R7 3700X. (Obviously except for things multi-core heavy.)

So. Appreciate the inputs. I also ordered a Refurb'd Radeon RX 570 for $129. Should get me a lot better performance than my older 1GB card.

One thing I need to figure out now... on the old system I would only get BIOS on something hooked up to VGA or DVI, which became annoying when my monitor died and the new one only had HDMI or DisplayPort inputs... Presumably since neither this new B550 Mobo nor the new graphics card has VGA or DVI out, that won't be a limfac... but will it default to one or the other? If I stick with HDMI out am I going to learn that BIOS displays through DP only? This is not addressed in the mobo manual and would make me grumpy.
3600XT should be plenty fast.

Video will display from either HDMI or DP. Shouldnt be any problems there.

Reactions: JaimeZX

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
Just so you know Nvidia 30 series that is coming out will be in the $500 range and be a huge leap forward in performance. Would future proof you system a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec