STYLE Upgraded the backyard from an old deck to a new patio

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
beginning this spring, we tore out the old deck and put in a patio. it was a prior DIY by the last homeowner, and it was rotting and the paint was in terrible shape. we almost never used it.

resize 03.jpg

there was a random fire pit just outside the deck that we used about 4 times total, although it was nice for burning stuff, lol
resize 02.jpg

grill we bought from the prior homeowners for $150, also in rough shape :o
resize 04.jpg

decided to go with stamped concrete with just a basic stone finish. The concrete guy did a pretty good job, but he showed up on his schedule :rofl: he also compacted the SHIT out of the grass around the patio. I'm definitely going to have to aerate the lawn this fall.
resize 05.jpg

you can see the natural gas line running through for the gas fire. I had a plumber install it (prior to pouring concrete). The line to the fire is the same size as the one that supplies the rest of the house :rofl:
resize 06.jpg

this part I did myself. Loaded the pavers and 1000 pounds of pea gravel (multiple trips :o) in the back of the Ford Fusion. I originally wanted to just use a flex line to hook up the burner, but the place that sold me the $800 brass burner (290k BTU) couldn't figure out what kind of hookup their own burner had, so I ended up hard piping it with 1/2 pipe. I've never seen so many nipples. It wasn't really that hard, although I tried using thread tape and kept having gas leaks when I did the Windex test, so I just went with pipe dope, and it was airtight.
resize 07.jpg

burner in place
resize 08.jpg

$150 of lava rock and $400 of concrete logs later....
resize 10.jpg

burner on real low
resize 12.jpg

burner on blast. this puts out a LOT of heat, and it's like 3 feet tall
resize 11.jpg

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
wife found a local guy who makes these planters/posts, and he had a clever design that let you put pavers in the base for weight instead of pouring in concrete, so you can take it out and move them. You can also put coconut plant liners in for flowers and stuff.
resize 09.jpg

resize 14.jpg

Crate & Barrel furniture. I never thought they would be the cheapest option, but holy shit outdoor furniture is expensive. These took almost 2 months to show up, and there's another single chair that matches, which will show up in October, lol. Very comfortable. The cushions are super lightweight, so we stuck a little 5 lb rubber dumbbell in the bottom of each, which keeps them nicely in place :rofl: you can't even tell, but I don't want to go pick these out of the neighbor's yard/pool
resize 13.jpg

planted 200 pachysandra along the house under the 3 windows, planted some spirea and a ninebark in the corner spot. Bought a Weber grill. Ran the LED lights around to the posts. I anchored them into the brick with some anchors that seem like they would hold up to Armageddon. I tapped right into the light fixture that was alongside the sliding door, so they're controlled with a light switch, and I managed to measure it out so the length fits perfectly.
resize 01.jpg

resize 15.jpg

Total cost was around $18k all told, although we still need a newer dining set at some point. current one is limping along with a table cloth to cover up the tons of rust on it :o

beachbum

Feb 5, 2005
how does stamped concrete compare to pavers pricewise and durability? i have a couple sections i was looking at doing pavers and never considered stamped concrete. looks good.

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
Never understood the gas fire pit but looks good man!
I'm as big a fan of a wood-burning fire as you can get, but when you're sitting outside around a fire, you just reek of smoke and have to change your clothes and wash your hair just to sleep without smelling it everywhere. My parents' house has two wood-burning fireplaces, and I've made hundreds and hundreds of fires, but it is SO much easier to walk out, flip the key valve and hit the burner, and it's on. I have a tiny little gas fireplace insert inside, and it's not that great, but this shit is legit.

Reactions: jaunt
TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
how does stamped concrete compare to pavers pricewise and durability? i have a couple sections i was looking at doing pavers and never considered stamped concrete. looks good.
the all-in quote we got for a nice paver patio was like $20k, and the concrete was $6k. This should be lower maintenance except having to re-seal it (since it's dyed/stained) every few years. If you want a brick look, then using brick/pavers is always going to look better than trying to fake it with stamped concrete. I don't like that look, but the stone imprint on this patio looks really good.

Reactions: Junkie

AndyP

OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2004
Did you think of some tall/narrow hedge to block the road from the back?

beachbum

Feb 5, 2005
the all-in quote we got for a nice paver patio was like $20k, and the concrete was $6k. This should be lower maintenance except having to re-seal it (since it's dyed/stained) every few years. If you want a brick look, then using brick/pavers is always going to look better than trying to fake it with stamped concrete. I don't like that look, but the stone imprint on this patio looks really good.
wow much more reasonable. i might have to start looking in to it before i pull the trigger on pavers. yours looks really good.

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
Looks pretty good. I might be more pessimistic about life in general, but aren't you concerned that someone is going to steal that stuff at 3 am?
not in this neighborhood. it's a very visible area, so someone would have to be very ballsy to do that. the grill is quite heavy, but the couches aren't, but who goes around stealing patio furniture?

• Haha
Reactions: jaunt

T_Dawgg

Escape Goat
May 6, 2001
vancity
Now all you gotta do is drink a bottle of liquor and pop some caps on that fireplace for the full experience

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
Did you think of some tall/narrow hedge to block the road from the back?
not really. the road is pretty low-traffic other than the people who live right on it. it's technically a through street, but it's sort of the middle of the neighborhood that has two main entrances on opposite ends to major roads, so people don't drive along it unless they live on it. it's nice to wave to the neighbors when they go by or something. maybe if we put in a hot tub and want to get naked :hmm:

Reactions: AndyP

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
not in this neighborhood. it's a very visible area, so someone would have to be very ballsy to do that. the grill is quite heavy, but the couches aren't, but who goes around stealing patio furniture?
Best quote I ever heard in regard to this:

I can steal whatever isn't nailed down.

Anything I can pry up isn't nailed down.

Might be a nice change of pace for some addicts exhausted from fucking up peoples cars by taking the catalytic converter.

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
wow much more reasonable. i might have to start looking in to it before i pull the trigger on pavers. yours looks really good.
now, this was the small independent contractor route. the big-time concrete company quoted over $12k, not including the steps. it seems like he did a good job, and he was recommended by another neighbor who seems to know what he's talking about and had him do his patio as well. but this dude would show up when he felt like it and started 6 weeks after he first told us he thought he could do it. There were some legit rain delays but damn :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: beachbum and Junkie

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
not really. the road is pretty low-traffic other than the people who live right on it. it's technically a through street, but it's sort of the middle of the neighborhood that has two main entrances on opposite ends to major roads, so people don't drive along it unless they live on it. it's nice to wave to the neighbors when they go by or something. maybe if we put in a hot tub and want to get naked :hmm:
What state are you in? It sounds like heaven.

TS
TS
TheProwler

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
Best quote I ever heard in regard to this:

I can steal whatever isn't nailed down.

Anything I can pry up isn't nailed down.

Might be a nice change of pace for some addicts exhausted from fucking up peoples cars by taking the catalytic converter.
this is an upper middle-class neighborhood surrounded by upper middle-class neighborhoods for 10+ miles. a junkie would be noticed in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448