TECH USB Drive will not show all files!

Coco Monkey

Aug 25, 2002
Chicagoland
Running Windows 7 Ultimate.
USB drive is some no name from Best Buy, 16gb. Primarily used to put music on to plug into my car while I drive. It worked just fine.

Fast forward a few months to today. Was at my parents house, wanted to copy a few pictures off their computer and on to mine. So I use the same USB drive that was in my car, just to transfer them to my home pc. Plug in, all files are viewable. USB drive is now 3/4 full.

Come back home, magically I can now only few MAYBE 20 files. Two folders, and about 18 mp3s. USB still shows 3/4 full.

I've googled this for the last hour, have read numerous message boards about adjusting view settings and whatnot. Nothing is working. I know the information is on there, this fucking thing just wont let me view/access it.

OT is my last resort, please help. Thank you.. :sadwavey:

dustey

Jun 28, 2011
Try different ports on your computer? Try another computer? Same thing?

Did you put your USB drive near a magnet or anything? lol

TS
TS
Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey

Aug 25, 2002
Chicagoland
no magnets. Tried the wife's computer that has XP on it, still doing the same. If i plug the USB into my car, it'll play all the music that i originally put on there, even tho now i cant see/access it.
:mad:

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
USB drive is failing.
Try to do a long format on it.
Plug it in, right click on the drive, select format, deselect 'quick' format.

If that doesn't help toss it in the trash. It can't be trusted.

dustey

Jun 28, 2011
USB drive is failing.
Try to do a long format on it.
Plug it in, right click on the drive, select format, deselect 'quick' format.

If that doesn't help toss it in the trash. It can't be trusted.

qft

This may actually work. A full format might help.

I doubt there is a virus on your drive.

It all may just come down to the fact that it may be a POS. Good luck, let us know if anything else turns up of interest.

CodeX

Did you put your USB drive near a magnet or anything? lol

No magnetic field that a person would typically have access to would have any effect on flash memory.

I mean if you work at Fermi, Oak Ridge, Sandia, or Los Alamos then be careful... but otherwise you don't have to worry about it.

dustey

Jun 28, 2011
No magnetic field that a person would typically have access to would have any effect on flash memory.

I mean if you work at Fermi, Oak Ridge, Sandia, or Los Alamos then be careful... but otherwise you don't have to worry about it.

Joke? :cool:

Maybe if he took it in with him for an MRI???? :naughty:

CodeX

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?8,2520155

Not even an MRI is strong enough. I don't use my MicroDrive close to our MRI scanners, but CF cards are fine. You'd need a varying magnetic field strong enough to induce damaging voltages in the card's internal wiring, and I'm not sure even a lightning bolt passing inches away would be strong enough to do that. (A direct hit would, of course.)

TS
TS
Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey

Aug 25, 2002
Chicagoland
Took it back to Best Buy where I bought it. Gave it to the kid behind the counter explaining what the problem was. He took it and dicked with it for about 20 minutes, running a scan or something on it.

End result, the data was just corrupt as fuck. He said it was on there, but nothing that could be read. Suggested to format the drive and star anew.

Goodnight sweet prince. :wtc:

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Took it back to Best Buy where I bought it. Gave it to the kid behind the counter explaining what the problem was. He took it and dicked with it for about 20 minutes, running a scan or something on it.

End result, the data was just corrupt as fuck. He said it was on there, but nothing that could be read. Suggested to format the drive and star anew.

Goodnight sweet prince. :wtc:
A magic 8ball toy is as helpful as GeekSquad. Have you checked that the folders aren't simply hidden yet?

CodeX

Open the drive in a hex editor and piece all the files back together manually...

That's what you would do if you were a bauce anyway...

retorq

What up bitch??
Dec 14, 2006
Mohave Desert
I had this happen to a user at work with a network drive .. it turned out to be a profile issue. It followed her to every PC she was using ... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor